FAL Speaker Update

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
FAL Speaker Update
« on: 2 Nov 2006, 10:37 pm »
Hello!

Just a quick note about the FAL speakers. A few months back I upgraded my DIY FAL speakers for a new finished speaker - the Model EXW from FAL. This speaker uses the newest version of the FLAT driver along with the FAL Heil tweeter and two FAL Passive Radiators per channel.

I have really been enjoying these - although with so much work to get finished (too many new products on the go!) I really have yet to find time to give them the time they deserve. I finally had time to bring the FAL section of my web page up to date today. A few new pictures and some more up to date info.

In a week and a bit I am off to Japan and will have a chance to visit with FAL - after I return I will add further updates I am sure!

Many Thanks!

John

JP78

Re: FAL Speaker Update
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2007, 12:47 pm »
could you please give any updates, experiences with the fal driver?  the specs on it are unbelievable.

thanks.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: FAL Speaker Update
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:45 pm »
Hello!

The update would be short and sweet - when I listen to them I enjoy them! 

The drivers can run from about 40 to 50 Hz or so (depending on cabinet design) on up to approx 10K. There are other drivers that come to mind with kinda similar specs freq response wise (creativesounds little 4" for instance) but the FAL combine that wideband with high efficency. All is not perfection from a measurement point of view (most speakers are not!) but they are better than other wideband or full range type drivers I have used. Many of the other drivers have massive peaks / dips in frequency response by comparison.

I think if you want a full range type speaker with no crossovers (well - just a cap on the tweeter) and you need high efficency (95db or so in this case) and the price is not a problem then they are one of the few speakers that fit those requirements. Like any speaker they have a character so I really suggest customers get a listen to them before purchase - it is too many $ to spend without hearing them in my mind.

Many Thanks!

John