SuperTower IIa/R Advice Needed

clh69

SuperTower IIa/R Advice Needed
« on: 27 Jul 2021, 10:14 am »
I recently picked up a pair of these as a project. Unfortunately, they were missing several of the original components.  It seems the crossovers, and L-pads are all functional, but all the drivers that were still there were not wired, so I have no idea how they were wired from the factory.  Just to get them working, i used some components i already had, as well as some new ones.  I found a similar schematic posted on this site, but it does not seem to be the IIa/r.   I have basically wired all the tweeters in series/parallel, wired the mids and woofers the same way.  This seemed to make sense, to keep all the drivers in phase, and get equal power to all the components.  The more I read on here, the more im sure this was probably not how they were wired originally.

I have not replaced the Passive Radiators yet, but that is coming soon. It is my plan to use the 15" PRs from Parts Express.

I currently have them reassembled and i'm driving them with my Pioneer SX-1250, and it surprises me how much it takes to drive these.

I understand without the Passive Radiators installed, the bass will not be controllable, but these are still in test mode, so still trying to nail down the direction im going.

I have them assembled now using some components i already had, as well as some new ones.  I have made some adapter plates to use some tweeters, and a ribbon i acquired, to get these at least functional again

Questions I have, and need advice on.

From what ive seen these are supposed to be 6 OHMs,  The way I have them wired, im close to 8, so Schematic needed. I would much rather be at 6 

These were pack full of insulation. I mean all the way full. Im assuming from reading other posts, this is too much.  How much should i use?

I have seen some diagrams of resistors being used on 2 of the 12s,  but not sure what the function of these are, or how to wire them in.

Please help.

Thanks for looking

Stimpy

Re: SuperTower IIa/R Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2021, 10:24 pm »
A little reference material (Thanks ZAKski288)!

clh69

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2021, 12:46 am »
Thanks for the response.  I have been studying these for awhile now.  These are not what I have. I only have 1 "15 and 1 Passive.   I dont think this wiring configuration will work with 4 woofers.   I have the 3 12s, but not 2 15s

I may be missing something. Thats very possible.

Jstower

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2021, 02:49 am »
There should be a 15” woofer in the bottom slot, facing down. The 15” passive is in the top slot, which you will have to cut the cabinet to remove or replace. Good luck

clh69

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2021, 09:17 am »
I am missing the bottom 15"  There is not a cutout for it.  Everything else on the above parts list looks like what I have, minus the downward facing 15".    Either this is a different version,  or someone left out the bottom 15",  But even if this was a Kit, it should have had the hole cutout..    I would think.    Now im scratching my head.

clh69

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2021, 09:48 am »
Looking again,  This parts list shows 5 soft dome tweeters as well. I only have 4.  This must be a different version. Im guessing.

Jstower

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2021, 05:00 pm »
Your speakers might have been the newer version, came with 4 Focal T120 tweeters instead of the 5 soft dome tweeters.  But not sure why you’re missing the 15” woofer. Your speakers may be wired closer to the Super tower III, 1 15” woofer.

Different version.

Super Tower IIa/R.   (5 soft dome tweeter version.)

Super Tower IIa/R SE.  (4 Focal T120 tweeter version.)

« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2021, 12:59 am by Jstower »

clh69

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2021, 08:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like these are the ones I have.  There were 2 of the inverted dome Focal tweeters left in them when i got them.   Looks like 1 15" is how these were made.  I have looked for this schematic with no luck. 

Soo the search  continues

Jstower

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2021, 09:06 pm »
Here’s a link, this may help. There closer to the Super tower III’s

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166382.msg1767430#msg1767430

clh69

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2021, 09:33 pm »
Great.  I think this is for sure closer to what i am dealing with.  I got 2 new Dayton 15" passive radiators delivered today, so I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the link 

Stimpy

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2021, 11:56 am »
Here’s a link, this may help. There closer to the Super tower III’s

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166382.msg1767430#msg1767430

Thanks for the help and link.

I forgot all about that thread.  And I'm the one who started it!  I must be getting old...?   :cry:

davidc1

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2021, 01:22 pm »
Wow!! You' ve got some awesome speakers. I would have loved to pick these up.

Please make sure you do your research and follow Brians schematics to the tee. Also, use replacement drivers exactly (if possible) as he used. The sound of VMPS is highly dependent on Brians design...which may seem contrary to what many manufactures normally do.

Use this forum to full advantage...both in asking questions and research. You will be amazed at what you hear when you are done.

Good luck.