BAT VK-3i Hotrodded by Victor

Zkidd

BAT VK-3i Hotrodded by Victor
« on: 8 Apr 2021, 04:37 am »

No longer for sale...

Price: $1750 OBO

Up for sale is my favorite BAT preamp, the VK-3i. I have owned quite a few BAT preamps but the earlier models have always been my favorites, especially the 3i. I am the second owner of this preamp and when I received it I would hear a loud "snap" when the preamp was muted. Knowing that this "snap" sound was usually caused by a bad capacitor, I bought two from BAT and was going to install them myself. But these caps were also covered and that meant removing the board to get to the bottom to desolder the caps so long story short this preamp went off to Victor at BAT for the work. While there, Victor and I spoke about adding more capacitance so two more caps were added, making a "four pack" as opposed to the factory Six-Pac once offered. The preamp was given a thorough exam while at BAT and was shipped back to me in a new box as well. So, whoever buys this is getting a wonderful preamp with some great mods, and a clean bill of health from the factory. Also with this preamp comes new tubes in the form of four (4) Genalex re-issue 6922 tubes as well as two (2) TungSol re-issue 6V6 tubes. All tubes are matched and came from Jim McShane. Lastly, the two tube dampeners on the 6V6 tubes will be included as is a Snyergistic Research fuse (Red). A factory remote is included as well. There is no phono board with this unit.

I have rated this an "8" for it does look very good but to be transparent there is a hairline scratch near the front of the preamp. It came included with my purchase from the previous owner. One does have to look for the scratch and in certain lighting it is visible and other times not at all. Once in the equipment rack it will not be seen at all but I do want to point that out.

Shipping will be via FedEx and a signature will be required upon delivery. I have a FedEx account so shipping costs will be discounted some as a result of having an account. No shipping outside of the continental USA. PP fees will be charged as the expense at the sale price of this would be a rather pricey "hit" for me.

The asking price on this unit is pretty fair and honest considering the cost of the caps and labor was in excess of $700. Tube costs were another $170, approximately. So when looking at other previous sales of this unit, be sure to take into account the cost of the caps, labor and tubes as well as the SR fuse. That said, I am open to offers but I ask that the offers be reasonable after reading the previous few sentences. Thank you.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Any lowball offers will be ignored or if I am feeling fiesty perhaps a snappy retort might be in order.

Check out my feedback on Audiogon and / or US Audio Mart under the monicker "zkidd" and buy with confidence.

« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2021, 05:12 am by Zkidd »