Headphones amplified: tell me about it please.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Headphones amplified: tell me about it please.
« on: 25 Jun 2014, 09:08 am »
Hi Guys,

A little bit of a personal request as I am looking for something decent to monitor my recordings with and you are the experts. As I have little children now I need a good set of headphones or maybe several. Also a good headphone amp. Actually I may get round to designing and building one, but I need some benchmarks.

My last decade of recording (not much due to so too much time spent running Sonneteer) I have relied on a fairly ok M-Audio Audiophile Firewire. Ok I say for the money and I have not really used the headphone part much. Now that was good for getting by with and is still ok as a digital interface BUT i need to up things a notch. Normally what happens here is I get some stuff and we end up building something at Sonneteer mansions as we are not that happy(we never are). So you never know. Not sure we will ever be making headphones though. But never say....

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Re: Headphones amplified: tell me about it please.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2014, 09:43 am »
SO far I have tried: most of the Utrasone range, the Grado range, one Focal and various mainstream brands which I would be too embarrassed to mention ;-). That was headphones.

Amps I have not really tried a lot yet. Though the Lehmann has graced my ears and also the little Arcam unit, oh and the Creek.

So far I have not been blown away by the headphones. Saying that the Ultrasone Signature Pro was ok and the Focal passable. The amps faired better only because I did manage to get some headphones to sound OK through them, but hard to tell.

My standards are high as I am trying to replicate the sitting in front of a decent system sound. So I can be over critical.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk