Will CDs ever make us nostalgic?

Phil A

Re: Will CDs ever make us nostalgic?
« Reply #40 on: 27 Oct 2014, 05:45 pm »
I wonder if sales are down because of people like me.  :scratch:

I have dumped and are dumping all my music into my computer. I've just so far have 15 days of music > 24x15 = 360 hrs/5 hrs per day = 72 days without hearing the same song. I put it on continuous shuffle like my own radio station. I'm hardly buying music these days.

It could have something to do with it.  I do, however, buy new music.  Mostly new SACD releases but some CDs too.  Probably one of the reasons I have not downloaded tons having all the music I have (not to mention multiple systems).  If I get something new I may play it on a few systems, and, between that, new Blu-Ray releases, and videos on either Netflix or Amazon Prime, I don't have much additional time.  I tend to accumulate a bunch of things I want and usually around the beginning of the year order 10 or so new SACDs.  By the time I burn them and listen, plus other things I bought, I end up falling behind and then buying more things.  I still have one or two things I have not gotten to listen to.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
« Reply #41 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:43 pm »
Hi

Thank you. The only thing that will kill CD players it seems to me are the suppliers of parts. I think the desire to own by some will continue and I for sure will hope to keep my CD players for a while. Luckily I have spare parts handy though it is usually at least 10 years before mechanisms start to fade.

Cloud storage is starting to make some sense as things get faster. It is unlikely that a home user will ever be able to compete with the resources the cloud companies have to do multiple backups. As long as of course the these companies continue to exist.

I hope a happy landing somewhere will occur for music playback in the digital domain. While the bigger Apples and googles keep trying to lock us in to their ways it may be difficult.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 15 Dec 2014, 02:34 pm »
The only thing that will kill CD players it seems to me are the suppliers of parts. I think the desire to own by some will continue and I for sure will hope to keep my CD players for a while. Luckily I have spare parts handy though it is usually at least 10 years before mechanisms start to fade.

I concur.  I still have LDs (though I have not played a disc in about 5 years) and two players.  I have both a Pioneer Elite CLD-79 and a regular Pioneer which are essentially the same player and I bought an extra spindle motor and a couple of other parts.  The purpose was to have them around for as long as possible.  The scary thing about buying an expensive CD transport/player is that it could be the one where the drive is discontinued prematurely by a manufacturer (of the drive) and then one is at the mercy of whether the CD player manufacturer will development a retrofit for a new drive and software or whether the machine will be destined to a door stop in the near future.