OT: What do you do when you run out of things to upgrade?

el dub

Re: OT: What do you do when you run out of things to upgrade?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2008, 12:28 am »
Nice rig, Jerome.

I remember an uncle bringing an Akai reel to reel home when he returned from serving in the military back in the early 70's. Man, I thought that was something. And apparently it still is!

scott

Scottdazzle

« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2008, 02:07 am »
That's really nice set up. :thumb: I also find myself back into vinyl after twenty some years. I just started to figure out where and how high on the TT food chain i can go. Used is going to be the road for me also. I unpacked my vinyl from storage this weekend that i pack up years a go so know i have 500 <> albums siting around Spin a few for me\

ED

Ed,

Used is the way to go. there are bargains galore out there! You are going to have a blast hearing all those records again with the benefit of your improved system and heightened discernment (getting older ain't all bad).  :lol:

Jerome, you rig looks great. I used to have one of those Akais.  I wish I could hear it again today.

Scott

denjo

« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2008, 03:14 am »
Once you are done with upgradititis, just sit back, relax and enjoy the music!

Lovely SOTA TT. Congrats! I have an old SOTA TT Sapphire and, like yours, it sits pretty on the top rack! Wish mine was cherry, like yours, to blend with my Harbeth speakers!

Best Regards
Dennis

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2008, 03:34 am »
Once you are done with upgradititis, just sit back, relax and enjoy the music!

Best Regards
Dennis

I agree. Upgrade to this now: http://www.casanoble.com/singlebarrel-anejo.html  Your system will have never sounded better!  :drool:

Nice system,
Jerry

dangerbird

« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2008, 10:50 am »
Very nice system Jerome, Someone mentioned Mr Mulveling earlier,,I have had the pleasure of listening to his rig with the sota a few times,, he got me back into vinyl,,his analog "front end" is spectacular,, and seeing yours,reminds me of his. I know that you are proud of your system,if it sounds half as good as it looks  :thumb:. For me,, I just tweak little things like PS caps in the phono pre,etc,,I don't think that I'll ever run out of things to tweak,, probabally money first. Beautiful rig,,sir. Sit back and enjoy.  aa

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2008, 10:17 pm »
Thanks for all the kind comments.  I bought about 30 commercial tapes since getting this deck, mostly classical music.  All I can say so far is that if historical classical music recordings are your thing, then I think 1/4" stereo tape is best suited for it.  I have listened to the following: Bruckner Symphony No. 9 - Karajan/BPO, Mahler Syphony No. 5 - Georg Solti/CSO, and Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade - Stokowski/LSO, and to a tape these recordings are spectacular.  Most CDs sound a bit thin next to these.  Strings in particular seem to come alive on tape.  It is more than just the wow factor of having a new toy in my rack.

--Jerome

TONEPUB

« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2008, 10:46 pm »
I agree with you on the RTR thing, it's a blast!

When you run out of things to upgrade, just enjoy your system.

That's the hardest thing for people to do...