Decware SE84 vs Glow Audio Amp One for Omega super 6

Beano

Hi All,

I have a pair of Omega Super 6 speakers and I am considering getting a Decware or Glow Audio amp. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has used both these amps on their omega speakers. which would be your preferred amp and why?  thanks in advance.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Decware SE84 vs Glow Audio Amp One for Omega super 6
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2015, 09:46 pm »
Hi Beano,

Which models of each brand did you have in mind?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2015, 10:00 pm »
I think Glow is made in China and Decware is made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. I can't find warranty info on Glow, and I'm definitely not saying that products made in China won't be well made... but I'd prefer the local option with the lifetime warranty.

Mortsnets

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm »
The Glow is an EL84SE with about 5 watts and the Decware about 2 watts into 8ohms.  How sensitive are the Omegas, 93db?
From reviews I think the Glow would sound warmer and the Decware more revealing.
I would go with the Glow.

seikosha

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2015, 12:48 am »
Ear Head audio is a dealer that actually sells both brands.  When I was in the market for a new amp I visited them and the owner felt that the Decware was a step up.  The two designs are definitely different.  The glow is a SEP design, the Decware is a SET.  While the Decware is Class A, looking at the specs of the Glow, I'm thinking it's not.  That said the only way to truly tell which you'd prefer would be to listen to them in the same systems in the same room.  It would be great if someone here has done that and chimed in.

Beano

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2015, 03:46 am »
Thanks all for your views. The Decware model I am considering is the super zen triode against the glow amp one. I stay in Singapore so I don't think there is a Decware dealer here for me to audition the amp, hence the reason I wanted to get some opinions here. My usual listening is with Nuforce ref9se amps which is great with orchestra and rock music. But I came to like the low power tube amp sound with vocals when I heard an almaro tube amp with a super 3 recently. The almaro is very pricey here so it's out of my consideration.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2015, 03:55 am »
Thanks all for your views. The Decware model I am considering is the super zen triode against the glow amp one. I stay in Singapore so I don't think there is a Decware dealer here for me to audition the amp, hence the reason I wanted to get some opinions here. My usual listening is with Nuforce ref9se amps which is great with orchestra and rock music. But I came to like the low power tube amp sound with vocals when I heard an almaro tube amp with a super 3 recently. The almaro is very pricey here so it's out of my consideration.
Hi Beano,
I have a Decware SE84C+ (2wpc SET) with a Omega 7F driver in Open Baffle Dipole configuration
and the Decware sounds really good.
That's the big problem with Decware no dealer in Asia.
If you want to come to Vietnam for an audition you are more than welcome.
I will pay the beer or the tea.

Guy 13

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:02 am »
Hi Beano,

Being a dealer, I sell both the Decware and Glow.  Go with the Decware - the Super 6s deserve it.  I have A Decware Super Zen Select with V-Caps and stepped attenuator connected to a set of Super Alnico Monitors (used to be called Super 6) and the sound is sublime.  The amp has plenty of power to drive them; I usually have the volume around 11 o'clock and it's plenty loud for me.  That is with a 2V input DAC.

Beano

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2015, 06:43 am »
Hi Canada Bob & Guy13

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the amp  :). Guess I'll go with the Decware. By the way there is an option for the output transformer to be either 4 ohms or 6 to 16 ohms. I presume I should select the 6 to 16 since omega speakers are 8ohms?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2015, 07:04 am »
Hi Canada Bob & Guy13

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the amp  :). Guess I'll go with the Decware. By the way there is an option for the output transformer to be either 4 ohms or 6 to 16 ohms. I presume I should select the 6 to 16 since omega speakers are 8ohms?
No, 4 ohm is what you want for your Super 6, or any current Omega.

Beano

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2015, 07:25 am »
Ok Thanks Bob, good thing I asked. I am guessing our omega speakers have mostly low impedance across the frequency range?

guillaume bougard

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2015, 09:08 am »
I'm just back from Guangzhou, and this trip really reinforced my determination to buy American (or European) and support our own people's jobs, lifestyle and, I daresay, values.

seikosha

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2015, 12:39 pm »
No, 4 ohm is what you want for your Super 6, or any current Omega.

I've got the 6-16 ohm trannies in my Zen and love it with my Omegas..  Wouldn't the 4 ohm versions supply a little less power since the Omegas are rated at 8 ohms?  Rob, have you heard both versions at the same time?
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2015, 08:56 pm by seikosha »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2015, 08:25 pm »
I've got the 6-16 ohm trannies in my Zen and love it with my Omegas..  Wouldn't the 4 ohm versions supply a little less power si ve the Omegas are rated at 8 ohms?  Rob, have you heard both versions at the same time?
Hi Seikosha,

If you love the sound of your 6-16 ohm transformers, that's good news.  All the Zens I've had over the years had 4 ohm output transformers.  Never heard the 6-16 ohm version. 
All my raves over the years (here and elsewhere) about the Zen amp have been in the context of 4 ohm transformers.

Louis has my Artist which has taps for 4, 8, and 16 ohm.  He likes the 4 ohm best.  If you look on the Decware website about the Super Zens transformer options, you will see in Steve's explanation the two options really boil down to taste.  Either impedance option will also be a good "electrical" match for Omegas, so there are no worries there.  Before the Super Zen came along with its two impedance options there was only one option offered: 2-8 ohms, which is the same as the 4 ohm option offered with the current Super Zen.

Beano

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2015, 07:36 am »
Hi all,

Today, I measured my source voltage output and realised it puts out 1.3V. Is that voltage too low to go with the Decware super zen since it runs max volume on 2v? Would I be losing dynamics with my source's lower 1.3v? Is so, I'd appreciate other good SET amp recommendations that can work with my source lower voltage output.. Thanks again in advance.

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2015, 10:12 am »
Hi all,

Today, I measured my source voltage output and realised it puts out 1.3V. Is that voltage too low to go with the Decware super zen since it runs max volume on 2v? Would I be losing dynamics with my source's lower 1.3v? Is so, I'd appreciate other good SET amp recommendations that can work with my source lower voltage output.. Thanks again in advance.

Hi Beano,
I have a Decware SE84C+
with my Rega Apollo CD player that gives 2V output,
on some CDs recorded at a lower sound level I have to crank up the volume control of my SE84C+ almost or even to the maximum.
When I wrote to Steve (Owner of Decware) he told me that I could buy a Zstage pre-amplifier (Not sure, but I think they call it amplified line buffer ?) at 597 USD that might be less expensive than buying something else and you would still get the wonderful sound of the el84 SET.
By the way my speakers are Omega 7F at 93dB efficiency.
I hope this help.

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam.

By the way:
When I ordered my Decware I did not mention my speaker or the output impedance I wanted, so I guess he supplied me the standard,
which is 6-16 Ohms.
Decware products are 100% made in USA with USA parts,
only the tubes are from Russia.

Beano

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2015, 11:58 am »
Hi Guy

Yeah, getting a preamp would fix the gain issue, but I am trying to avoid that route as details are usually lost when we add another layer along with interconnects between the source and amp. In looking at Decware's amp ranges the mini Toriii looks to be able to drive 1v source, but it isn't an SET amp and cost significantly more, hence I was wondering if there are other great SETs around a similar price range I can consider which can manage lower voltage sources. My super 6 speakers are also 93db efficiency.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2015, 01:44 pm »
Yeah, getting a preamp would fix the gain issue, but I am trying to avoid that route as details are usually lost when we add another layer along with interconnects between the source and amp.

How do you think amps that need only 1v or less get there?
IME a low gain amp with a good preamp can sound as good as or better than a higher gain amp without a preamp.

YMMV

borism

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2015, 03:18 pm »
I have the Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 SET ($850). It comes as a kit and I assembled it myself. Bottlehead gives excellent instructions and I was able to build it without having any prior experience.

Anyway, it is 4 w/ channel and needs only 0.4 V for maximal output. The sound is sweet. I don't have Omega speakers but I am sure that Louis could advise you regarding compatibility.

Finally, you can have a factory associated technician assemble it for you (for a fee) if you don't want to try it yourself.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2015, 03:42 pm »
I have the Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 SET ($850). It comes as a kit and I assembled it myself. Bottlehead gives excellent instructions and I was able to build it without having any prior experience.

Anyway, it is 4 w/ channel and needs only 0.4 V for maximal output. The sound is sweet.

Good suggestion, but its required input voltage is questionable in view of this thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=131299.0

:dunno: