D-500 MKII's Now Shipping!

CIAudio

D-500 MKII's Now Shipping!
« on: 11 Nov 2008, 04:52 pm »
The long awaited D?500 MKII's are now shipping!

Over 500 watts into 8 ohms/800 watts into 4 ohms.
Both single-ended RCA and balanced XLR input, 12v trigger input, and our XDC-2 circuit built-in!
« Last Edit: 20 May 2009, 03:55 pm by CIAudio »

Amiratos

Re: D•500 MKII's Now Shipping!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:37 am »
Only 120 volts or any 240 volts option for outside US ??

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2008, 03:49 am »
D-500 MKII is available in the following voltages:

100V
110~120V
220~240V
All models are compatible with 50/60hz.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2008, 10:37 am »
Congrats Dusty!

These sounded fantabulicious at RMAF! Very clear and powerful, natural tone.

Amiratos

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2008, 12:16 pm »
And the price is ???

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2008, 12:57 pm »
And the price is ???

NOW SHIPPING and ONLY-

D•500 MKII 500 Watt Monoblock Amplifier $2500 each

Bigfish

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2008, 01:26 pm »
As previously commented these amps did sound great at RMAF.  Dusty, are there any professional reviews of the amps in progress?

I wish my business climate was better as I would like to try these connected to my SP Tech Timepieces.

Ken

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2008, 05:09 pm »
Dusty, are there any professional reviews of the amps in progress?

No reveiws planned for awhile, we first have to fill all the backorders before we have extras to send out for review.

stu

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2008, 11:51 pm »
Hey Dusty,

My D-500's came today!  They are bigger and much heavier than I was expecting.  Must be all that magic dust you put in them.  I am going to let them burn in for a while.  I will report on the sound in a few weeks.  Now I just need Mark to send my LS-9's!
Thanks
Mark

stu

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2008, 05:00 pm »
I told Dusty that I would post my experiences with my D-500's once I had spent a little time with them.  I received them about a month ago, and since them I have been breaking them in and listening to them whenever I have a chance.  I am out of town every other week, so my listening sessions are somewhat spread out over time.  Last week I was able to give them a pretty good workout, and I have to tell you that I have been very impressed with not only the sound, but also the build quality.  These things are built to high standards, and have a beautiful, flawlessly built aluminum case.  The most surprising thing was their weight.  Most class D amps come in around 15lbs or so, but these tip the scales at almost 30lbs, giving them a nice heafty feel.   The speaker connectors also appear to be good quality.  Before I discuss the sound, I have to say that I have had the opportunity to hear many very nice amps over the years (I am old) at Hi-Fi shows, at a dealer where I worked, and at the local audio society meetings.  I have also qwned a few nice amps.  Eventhough the D-500's need  some more breakin hours, I can already say that they are right up there with the best that I have heard.   They better my previous amp (no slouch either) in several areas.  The first thing I noticed was how tight, controlled, and detailed the bass was from the D500's.  My other amp has great bass, but cannot compete with these.  The next thing I noticed was an increase in transparency.  Everything sounds clearer with more detail, but not overly etched.  Just natural sounding.  The mids, especially vocals, are also very clear and natural (there is that word again).  Highs are extended and smooth, and do not seem soft, or harsh in any way.  If I had to sum up the sound, I would say that they are very clear and very natural sounding amps.  Soundstage is also a little wider and deeper, making it easier to pick out each instrument within the stage.  Last week, after pounding the snottt out of my speakers for about two hours, I felt the case of the D-500's, and they were at room temperature.  Not even a hint of warmth.  Amazing!
I am sure these amps will get better with some more hours on them, and that will just be icing on the cake for me.  Looks like Dusty's hard work has produced a winner.  Thanks Dusty.
Mark

kwl

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2008, 05:48 pm »
For frame of reference, can you tell us what were your most recent amps and which amps the D-500's compare most closely to?  How do these compare to other digital amps?

stu

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2008, 12:11 am »
The amp I have been using is the Aragon 8008x5, a 110lb. monster.  I always thought the bass on that amp was great, but the 500's beat it.  I do not have any other class D amps to compare with the CIA.  Sorry.

Mark

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2008, 04:24 pm »
stu,

What speakers are you using (frequency range/efficiency/etc.)?  What is the room like?  What types of music are you reviewing them with?

stu

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2008, 03:44 pm »
Dedicated room is 14'x24', all walls and corners well treated.  Each speaker has 3-12" woofers, 2-7" kevlar mids, a dome tweeter and a ribbon tweeter.  They are 93db efficient, with in room response 18-24khz.  Speakers are 4' from the front wall and seat is 12' from the speakers.  Music included Classical, jazz, female and male vocal, rock, and progressive rock/metal.   
Hope this helps.
Mark

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2008, 05:14 pm »
You must like it loud (or at least to have lots of dynamic headroom)!

I'd guess you could reach 120 dB with your speakers/room/amps.

stu

« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2008, 04:08 am »
No such thing as too much dynamic range, or to much power, or too much volume.  I normally listen at volumes averaging in the low 90's, but of course peaks will be higher.  Anything less is pretty much a waste of time.  My listening sessions are only 1-2 hours at a time, so fatigue is not a factor.
The amps seem to be breaking in some more.  This morning they were sounding really nice!  I am enjoying these a lot.
Mark

stu

Re: D-500 MKII's Now Shipping!
« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2009, 03:32 pm »
I just wanted to give an update for these.  I took delivery of these several months ago, and then took delivery of a pair of LS-9's from av-123 in April.  This combination is absolutely killer!  The detail and power that I get, as well as finesse, is just amazing.  The speakers are not as efficent as my previous speakers, but the amps still never get above room temperature, no matter how hard I am driving them.  I think Dusty still has a pair of these speakers on order  too.  I highly recommend this amp, and for those not needing this much power, I am sure the new D-200 mkII will be just as good.

Mark