CI monos with Von Schweikert question

Delacroix

CI monos with Von Schweikert question
« on: 3 Mar 2008, 12:36 am »
Hello all, am new to this circle, in the process of learning as much as can about channel island amps as I consider the next investment in my system. Currently I power a wonderful pair of Von Schweikert VR5Se with a BAT VK500, which works well enough for sure but I really want to follow the biamping route recommended by Von S for these speakers, which I gather is important for extracting the very best from them. I also want to move beyond super heavy amps that cannot be put on a rack so the BAT will have to go in the long term if only to restore some domestic harmony.

I notice from the CIA site that the Von Schweikert speakers are used as a reference so I assume there is a good match here. My question really is to anyone who has had a chance to hear these speakers with the D100 or D200 monos. I am planning on using four monoblocks, one pair each for the woofers, and one pair for the upper/mids. Would this be a major shift in sound from the BAT or would it be possible in the first instance to combine one pair with the BAT (keeping its power for the woofers for example).  I know matching gain can be a problem in this type of combo. Thanks for any insights.

Charles Calkins

Re: CI monos with Von Schweikert question
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2008, 03:15 am »
I've got a pair of the VSA Gen IV HSE  speakers driven by the CIA D-200 amps and I couldn't be more than satisfied with this combo. Probably better out there but I'm sticking with this setup until something comes along to make me switch. Albert says that very good results can be had by using a tube amp for the upper modules and a solid state amp(s) for the woofer's. Tried that and the expense of doing it didn't justify the results. The D-200's are very hard to beat. A very musical sounding pair of amps. HEY!!! Just enjoy the music!

Cheers
                                 Charlie

USAudio

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2008, 10:55 pm »
Delacroix,
FYI - According to Dusty, CIAudio D-500 monoblocks will be available very soon ...   aa

Delacroix

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2008, 06:52 pm »
Yep, and he also told me he thought biamping with D200s or D100s would not be a step forward and that a single pair of D500 monos would be best. Patience is a virtue, I suppose.

marcel

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2008, 06:09 pm »
Hello i have the von schweikert mkII speakers and the D-200 is a good match. Better than the KR VT20 and the Marsh A-400. Esspially in the bass region the D200 is far better. The VT20 and the Marsh are also very controlled bt not musically. When you hear the speakers with these amps it is of something is missing.
In the midrange they are equal to the D200 and in the highs they are better. The highs off the D200 are good but not super good, it is something raw and edgy.

But in the end the totl sound is very good and it can compare to much more expensive amps.

NewBuyer

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:09 am »
...The highs off the D200 are good but not super good, it is something raw and edgy...

I read this post with interest as I was strongly considering an audition of the D200 monos (I like their compact and cool-running aspects).

But "raw and edgy" highs would certainly be a problem - are others finding this to be an issue with these amps as well?  :?:

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2009, 04:49 pm »
When I owned the D200s with my current VR4JRs, the overall presentation was just too smooth (or drab, boring and uninvolving if you want to interpret the negative aspects of smooth as such) for my well-damped room yet the highs had a jaw-clenching un-easiness to them. I never really tried powercord swaps - This may lead to more acceptable sound.

I felt the DAC Cherry to be far superior to the CIA D-200s, if Class D interests you.

-Mike

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2009, 05:12 pm »
A general description of D-200 sound is dynamic, detailed, yet smooth. It's very rare that someone describes them as "raw and edgy", but paired with certain electronics/speakers I'm sure that it could be the end result.

Albert Von Schweikert has used D-200 as his design reference for about 5 years (as well as many mastering labs).
We also use VS loudspeakers as our reference, so they tend to work very well together.

CSI

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2009, 05:44 pm »

I have some experience with both CIA D200's and the DAC Cherry, although not with Von Schweikerts (I have ACI Sapphires). These are both great amps and the CIA's are a proven match for the VR's. Can't see how you could really go wrong with the CIA's. I am surprised by the comments about harshness in the highs. I never heard that in my system. The CIA amps (I also have a pair of the D100's) are among the very few I've owned in a lifetime of audiophilia that I could live with contentedly forever. The CIA sound is always musical and sweet and, in that respect, they are like Odyssey amps. Could be too smooth for some and I certainly respect that.
The Cherry moves things to a whole different level and therefore may require more careful system matching. Both amps are sensitive to cables and the Cherry seems particularly sensitive to power cords. This isn't a criticism. You open the window wider, you let in more dirt. I will be updating my impressions of the Cherry over on the Industry Talk Circle this weekend (after the Chargers win their Wild Card game).

Bill (CSI)

CIAudio

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2009, 04:46 pm »
Most Class D amps (like the DAC Cherry) will have varied high frequency response depending on the load being driven. Low impedance loads will cause the amplifier response to roll off, higher impedance will cause a rise (see bottom graph from their website) http://www.digitalamp.com/cherry%20measurements%20v6.pdf

The UcD technology we use has flat frequency response regardless of load. This is important as tweeters tend to have a rising impedance vs frequency.