Possible New CIA Product?

chasm3940

Possible New CIA Product?
« on: 24 May 2007, 11:56 pm »
Dusty,

I am a recent member of AC -- having joined when I had decided to replace my old two-channel audio system.  As it happens, the result of discussions/comments on this site has resulted in a system that is composed primarily of CIA equipment (VAC1/VDA2, VPC3, D200's).  Also, like many on AC, I have gone to the SB3 as a source.  Today I just ordered the popular digital-only modification of my Squeezebox.  My next step, probably like many others similarly situated, is to consider acquiring a linear power supply for the SB3.

Since I like your stuff very much, I was wondering if you have or might consider a new product entry between the $125 and $750 price points consisting of a linear power supply for the SB3?  Just a thought.  (I think you once said in passing, when I was on the phone to place the VPC3 order, that you were thinking of acquiring an SB3 "to take a look at".)

Charles

SatoriGFX

Re: Possible New CIA Product?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2007, 12:45 am »
Ouch.  $750?  That's a little rich for my blood.  There are lots of cheap wall wart linear solutions, the Welborne Labs PSU at $300+ assembled and the Boulder Elpac mods at $100+ and their own PSU at $750.   How about this though:

Assuming the VAC-1 is a linear and not a switching supply, how about a version of it for us SB3 users?  I believe the SB3 needs 5V with 2A being the minimum recommended amp rating (though I'd rather CIAudio erred on the high side with regards to amperage in making such a product).  I'd pay the same price as a VAC-1 for one of these for sure.

Adam.

chasm3940

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2007, 01:18 am »
I agree with the "Ouch!" comment on the $750 PSU, which is why I made my original comment.  The Welborne looks interesting, but the many threads here on AC negatively commenting on their customer service is off-putting.  Your suggestion of a SB3-configured VAC1 sounds great.   Other linear PSU's for the SB3 mentioned here on AC seem to be in the DIYer realm, which doesn't include me.

Charles

SatoriGFX

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2007, 01:37 am »
I agree with the "Ouch!" comment on the $750 PSU, which is why I made my original comment.  The Welborne looks interesting, but the many threads here on AC negatively commenting on their customer service is off-putting.  Your suggestion of a SB3-configured VAC1 sounds great.   Other linear PSU's for the SB3 mentioned here on AC seem to be in the DIYer realm, which doesn't include me.

Charles

I could probably DIY it if I had to since I have been known to weild a soldering iron in the past.  Having said that, if you look at the time required to research it, find the parts, build it and make it look nice (it will be sitting in my living room after all) and the cost of the parts, a soldering iron (mine sucks, used it for car audio installs for years but that was rather rough work compared to this) I'd rather just shell out the $159 US to CIAudio.  I'm not sure a better PSU would help when using the digital output of the SB3 (opinions vary on this) but I would risk it for $159.

Adam.

Adam.

ralflar

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2007, 02:29 am »
Same here. I'd buy one for looks and peace of mind as well as lazyness, and not expect sonic improvements.

Even more interesting than a SB3 flavour of the VAC-1 would be a PSU-1: a unit having the same form factor and appearance as the PLC-1, containing as many VAC-1 internals as will fit inside plus a 5V regulator for the SB3. I think there should be room enough in that case for 3 14V AC outlets and 1 5V DC output. One of the AC outlets could be low current - just enough to power the RC functions of the PLC-1. Such a unit would greatly reduce cable clutter. I bet it would look real classy, too, like the PLC-1. It should also be cheaper to manufacture than the equivalent number of individual VAC-1s due to shared components.

Perhaps the unit could be modular. There could be a floor model with a single outlet either 5V DC or 14V AC. Additional AC modules could be purchased and installed by customers who own more than a single piece of CIA gear. Modularity would probably eat the cost advantages of integration, though.

There are probably other reasons why this is not a good idea. Pity. But if CIA built it for the combined price of 4 VACs or less, I'd buy it.

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2007, 11:39 pm »
We're working on a prototype SB power supply to fit in our standard VAC chassis. Cost for the production version would be around $259. If we think there will be enough interest, we sill start producing them in a couple of months.

chasm3940

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2007, 12:54 am »
I would definitely be a buyer for a "VAC-SB3" at $259, and if I liked it I would buy for the other SB3's in the house--probably many SB3 owners have multiple units.  Looking ahead, does anyone have any firm info on the imminence of an "SB4" now that Logitech owns the Squeezebox brand?

mike_c

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2007, 01:11 am »
We're working on a prototype SB power supply to fit in our standard VAC chassis. Cost for the production version would be around $259. If we think there will be enough interest, we sill start producing them in a couple of months.

This is something I would definitely be interested in...

whams

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2007, 02:51 am »

This is something I would definitely be interested in...

Ditto....I hope it becomes reality!!  :thumb:

quartet

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2007, 12:37 am »
I just started using a stock SB3 with my VDA-2 and VAC-1, so I'm interested. Of course, it depends on how much benefit there turns out to be when only using the digital output -- I actually like the SB3 a lot as a transport as it is, and it easily beats all three of the CD players I had in the house, although they were older technology.

Dusty, have you progressed far enough to know how much of a difference your PS makes to the digital output?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2007, 01:21 am »
Frankly trying to decide between all the options Wayne/Bolder offers gives me a headache and heartburn.  And going the full SB route can get quite expensive if you go with Bybee's, cap upgrades, various power supply, and power supply associated cabling.  Then there's the whole computer/network end with additional hard drives and learning curve.  Sound quality and flexibility is hard to touch, but ...

I'm probably one of very few to have done the modded SB route and came back to a CDP.  I'd gone the RWA battery route.  The battery was non-user replacable and didn't travel well.  I was continually losing the SB/PC system for days at a time until various network issues, power outages, trying to access low resolution internet audio streams (thanks to modding), even stuck in an obscure SB menu could be figured out.  The requirement to rip before listening was balanced by having access to a few audio streams.  Overall I'm happier to be less dependent on so much technology (and I'm an engineer?!).

Dusty, not sure if you're opinionated about battery power supplies for digital sources, but seems to me there might be a market for such.  I'd suggest doing just the circuit and let the user source an external battery.  IMO the Mother of Tone guys have the right idea, to use a large enough battery that only needs occasional recharging.

Wayne's current SB power supply options range from about $150 - 1500, with a big gap in the middle.  Reference Audio Mods charge about $250 to upgrade to battery option on their Olive mods.  So seems like a $200 battery power supply/recharging box (plus battery) could fill a niche.

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2007, 05:41 am »
Since I like your stuff very much, I was wondering if you have or might consider a new product entry between the $125 and $750 price points consisting of a linear power supply for the SB3?  Just a thought.  (I think you once said in passing, when I was on the phone to place the VPC3 order, that you were thinking of acquiring an SB3 "to take a look at".

Charles,

Give me a call...I will have two prototypes next week. I will send you one to beta test.

-Dusty-

ralflar

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2007, 01:09 am »
The sooner you build one the sooner I can buy one. Hopefully it will be a matter of weeks not months. :D

chasm3940

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2007, 07:34 pm »
Dusty:   See PM's.    Charles
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2007, 08:27 pm by chasm3940 »

Skipperrik

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2007, 10:01 pm »
Hey Dusty, any progress on a new power supply for the SB3?  I'm definitely interested! aa

CIAudio

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2007, 04:37 am »
Hey Dusty, any progress on a new power supply for the SB3?  I'm definitely interested!

Yes, we hope to be shipping VDC•SB in about 6 weeks.

dlite

« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2007, 10:45 pm »
This will be a great audition for the product range?  Will there be a 240 volt version for the Australian market.

CIAudio

« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2007, 03:56 am »
Will there be a 240 volt version for the Australian market

yes  :)

audioferret

« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2007, 06:28 am »
Dusty,

Once again, you are very wisely filling a vacant niche need.  Squeezebox owners around the world are going to beat down your door to get your better mousetrap.  :)  Good job, keep it up!