Sous Vide unit suggestions

orensemaj

Sous Vide unit suggestions
« on: 4 Nov 2017, 09:54 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in trying the Sous Vide style of cooking. Would any one have suggestions on the pros and cons of any particular Sous Vide unit. To start with I would prefer to buy an economical brand to see if I like the style of cooking and then I would consider a higher end unit. TIA for any suggestions.

James

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Sous Vide unit suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2017, 03:31 am »
What are you willing to spend?  A Polyscience unit is around $1100, obviously more than you're wanting to spend.  Personally I think the Sous Vide Supreme water oven is a great deal. Depending on the time and what promotion is going you can get a Demi (the smaller model) for $250 or less.  I've had the larger one and the smaller one for maybe seven years and they're still running strong.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2017, 02:28 pm »
We use the Joule sous vide and love its smaller size and higher power compared to older units, and at 200 or less won't break the bank.

goskers

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2017, 03:39 pm »
I purchased the Anova unit a couple of months ago. I have used it roughly six times with pretty good results. As with everything, there is a bit of a learning curve but that is due to the new process not the device. I think a stand alone versus all in one to be more flexible for larger or smaller items.

john1970

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2018, 09:01 pm »
I purchased the 900 W Anova WiFi unit off of Amazon about two weeks ago and have been using it to cook USDA Prime tenderloins on Saturdays and Sundays.  Be sure to also purchase a good cast iron (Lodge) skillet for proper searing of the meat after cooking sous vide. 

I season the meat with pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and seal it into a bag using a food saver vacuum sealer (FM3920).  After sous vide cooking I dry the meat with paper towel, season it with salt and sear it immediately in my cast iron skillet. 

Honestly, the best steak I have had except for those served in very very expensive restaurants.  At home this is the only method I use for cooking steaks.  Amazing!!

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm »
Great timing, as I was looking to try this.

SFDude

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2018, 11:32 pm »
I got an Anova on sale and use a steel pot with it. Works great and didn't break the bank (it was less than $100 to try this).

-dave

wln1111

dmatt

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2018, 05:14 am »
I started cooking sous vide when my oven crapped out the week I was supposed to cook my Christmas Eve rolled beef tenderloin for my extended family of inlaws.  I put it in a turkey brining bag and ghetto sous vide the roast in an ice chest — searing it with a blowtorch.  Wonderful roast and a fun story.

I discovered the ANOVA device (I actually have two) over two years ago.  I love it and have turned on a bunch of my cooking friends to sous vide with that unit (I let them borrow one of mine and then they get hooked.) I believe ANOVA is a lab equipment company that developed their ‘stick’ when they saw the culinary demand for their lab gear. 

I’ve done chicken, pork, steak, and roasts.  If it is something simple like steaks or chicken breasts you can just use ziplock freezer bags, submerge with the top out of the water to squeeze the air out of the bag, and binder clip the top of the bag over the side of your pot.  You can pat dry and sear right after sous vide or chill the protein in an ice water bath and pop in the fridge.  I’ll do up a whole tray of Costco organic chix breasts with various seasonings in different bags and then have chicken all week for chicken bowls, chicken salad, or quick seared chicken.  NEVER overcooked.

A good site for info is serious eats:
https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-101