Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

TubesGalore92

Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #160 on: 17 Jan 2021, 08:05 pm »
Wow lots of good things from all around. I say that because I work at an audio store and we carry these actually. I had one guy walk in and tell me that it was like someone had stepped out from in front of his speakers. My coworker told the guy he's about the fifth person who has called this thing a dramatic change in a good way.

So, after seeing a lot of mostly good experiences here and at the store. (And full disclosure, I didn't read them all as this a pre-work internet-scour, but it seemed to be **mostly** good.) I decided I not only want surge protection but have decided to just get a power conditioner while I'm working at this audio store and still get a discount. I have the narrowed my choice between this and a Chang Lightspeed (probably the 509). Is the puritan really worth the extra $$$ over the Chang? I get a discount but still 800-1100 dollars is about double what I wanted to spend. I can spend it, I'm just hesitant. I can always try out our demo stuff before I buy it, but I like to hear what other people think. Also the headphones I'm currently waiting on take 12 weeks and its only been 11. So I have a couple weeks before demoing starts. Also this is my first post on here, so I hope this is all within the rules and such.

Wig

« Reply #161 on: 18 Jan 2021, 01:45 am »

debjit.g

« Reply #162 on: 18 Jan 2021, 02:12 am »
Stereo Times 2020 Most Wanted

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/most-wanted-2020-page-5

Wig :thumb:

Except for ADD-Powr and Puritan, the rest of the recommendations are just plain snobs.

Unbelievable that a $2844 Quantum Science Audio Ultra High-End Fuse can be the most wanted components of 2020. I suspect either they got Covid when writing this or were smoking something else  :icon_lol:

Wig

« Reply #163 on: 18 Jan 2021, 04:27 am »
Except for ADD-Powr and Puritan, the rest of the recommendations are just plain snobs.

Unbelievable that a $2844 Quantum Science Audio Ultra High-End Fuse can be the most wanted components of 2020. I suspect either they got Covid when writing this or were smoking something else  :icon_lol:

I was looking into trying one of those fuses until I discovered the price was not a misprint... :lol:

Wig

TomS

« Reply #164 on: 18 Jan 2021, 01:08 pm »
I was looking into trying one of those fuses until I discovered the price was not a misprint... :lol:

Wig
And then of course there are the $28k interconnects :roll:

Vinylshadow

« Reply #165 on: 20 Jan 2021, 10:48 pm »
Wow lots of good things from all around. I say that because I work at an audio store and we carry these actually. I had one guy walk in and tell me that it was like someone had stepped out from in front of his speakers. My coworker told the guy he's about the fifth person who has called this thing a dramatic change in a good way.

So, after seeing a lot of mostly good experiences here and at the store. (And full disclosure, I didn't read them all as this a pre-work internet-scour, but it seemed to be **mostly** good.) I decided I not only want surge protection but have decided to just get a power conditioner while I'm working at this audio store and still get a discount. I have the narrowed my choice between this and a Chang Lightspeed (probably the 509). Is the puritan really worth the extra $$$ over the Chang? I get a discount but still 800-1100 dollars is about double what I wanted to spend. I can spend it, I'm just hesitant. I can always try out our demo stuff before I buy it, but I like to hear what other people think. Also the headphones I'm currently waiting on take 12 weeks and its only been 11. So I have a couple weeks before demoing starts. Also this is my first post on here, so I hope this is all within the rules and such.
Hi. My first post as well!

I was looking at the Puritan 1512 for my Home Theater system but the Audioquest 5000 looks very good as well. I do not know enough to make the proper decision to replace my Richard Gray 1200. The Gray is 20 year old technology and is more focused on surge suppression and power reserve than noise reduction, which it does not even address or mention on its website write up.

I've read good things about both units but there must be differences between the 2 as the 5000 is billed as a power conditioner and the Puritan as a power purifier. Could they be "the same" but different in how they get there? Interesting that both have a 20A IEC power outlet yet use 15A duplexes instead of 20A duplexes.

Has anyone compared the 2 in a system or have opinions one over the other?

Thank you.

TomS

« Reply #166 on: 21 Jan 2021, 01:15 am »
Hi. My first post as well!

I was looking at the Puritan 1512 for my Home Theater system but the Audioquest 5000 looks very good as well. I do not know enough to make the proper decision to replace my Richard Gray 1200. The Gray is 20 year old technology and is more focused on surge suppression and power reserve than noise reduction, which it does not even address or mention on its website write up.

I've read good things about both units but there must be differences between the 2 as the 5000 is billed as a power conditioner and the Puritan as a power purifier. Could they be "the same" but different in how they get there? Interesting that both have a 20A IEC power outlet yet use 15A duplexes instead of 20A duplexes.

Has anyone compared the 2 in a system or have opinions one over the other?

Thank you.
My dealer sells and had stock of both brands, though I called originally to pursue the AQ 5000. He steered me back towards the Puritan 156 at less than 1/2 the price, for what that's worth. I have not had a 5000 in my own system to compare, but am very happy with the PSM156. The 20a inlet is for increased physical connection security, not electrical, though I don't think it makes much difference. A Neutrik PowerConn would be far better, but it goes against the grain for purist audiophile types.

Vinylshadow

« Reply #167 on: 21 Jan 2021, 10:07 am »
Thank you.

One big difference that might have gone into your dealers decision is that the 5000 has 12 outlets( 4 high voltage and 8 low voltage) whereas the 156 has 6 outlets and perhaps that was not so much one being better than the other technology and ability wise but more outlet appropriate for your needs?

TomS

« Reply #168 on: 21 Jan 2021, 07:40 pm »
Thank you.

One big difference that might have gone into your dealers decision is that the 5000 has 12 outlets( 4 high voltage and 8 low voltage) whereas the 156 has 6 outlets and perhaps that was not so much one being better than the other technology and ability wise but more outlet appropriate for your needs?
Actually no, he said the Puritan sounded better to him and several other customers who switched.

Vinylshadow

« Reply #169 on: 22 Jan 2021, 01:00 am »
Actually no, he said the Puritan sounded better to him and several other customers who switched.
No kidding. Well, that is a solid endorsement...... But "switched" from which power devices. AQ's 5000?

I have been corresponding with Garth Powell of Audioquest.....A very friendly, informative guy. He of course thinks the Niagara's are the bees knees but I asked him about the Puritan's devices as I am just learning about them here. He replied-
"I can give chapter and verse on the basic multiple common-mode non-linear filters with DC blocks Puritan’s built, what’s good about some of that, what’s not so good as well…, and I can do that for anything on the market (including everything I’ve ever designed).  There are going to be two constants in this exercise:

1)Every companies marketing department will have creative ways in which to stand apart.  Regardless of how unique (or not), their technology is.
2)You will not know what you prefer in total without trying it first (ideally in your system).

I can give you chapters of why I believe Niagara is superior to anything on the market (and handily…), but that’s my opinion.  It’s based on experience, careful listening, and real-world verifiable measurements, but I can’t determine what people will most enjoy (nobody can).

Rather than going through these questions, could I first ask you a favor?  If you haven’t already, please download and read (and hear the audio samples) “Power Demystified.”  It’s my white paper on AC power and it’s effect on audio-video systems.  Go to our AudioQuest website-Niagara products-Niagara 7000- scroll to bottom of page, it’s one of the links.  If you can get that knowledge first, we are on a more solid footing."

I haven't looked at his white paper yet. The audio files might be interesting.

Thanks.

debjit.g

« Reply #170 on: 22 Jan 2021, 01:11 am »
sometimes the best way to evaluate any Audio component is NOT to ask manufacturers of their opinion on other brands   :P

Vinylshadow

« Reply #171 on: 22 Jan 2021, 01:29 am »
sometimes the best way to evaluate any Audio component is NOT to ask manufacturers of their opinion on other brands   :P
No doubt.

I am looking to get evaluations that I can rely on as truth. This forum is certainly one. Shunyata has their forum "fanboy's" as does AQ. Although less than Shunyata and their Everest. Crickee, those guys are like a cult! And don't you dare question the Everest!

But since I don't have the luxury of an audition due to my equipment rack situation with all of my home theater components, I need to pick brains and decipher and make a final decision and live with it.  :thumb:

kmmd

« Reply #172 on: 22 Jan 2021, 07:50 pm »
I am looking to get evaluations that I can rely on as truth. This forum is certainly one. Shunyata has their forum "fanboy's" as does AQ. Although less than Shunyata and their Everest. Crickee, those guys are like a cult! And don't you dare question the Everest!

Hello, I know of the Shunyata forum that you speak of, and I post there infrequently.  I agree that they are a cult, but I still ended up buying a Denali 6000/S v2 and Everest 8000.  I’m lucky to know a dealer friend for over 20 years to make it happen.  The Everest not only does an incredible job of cleaning up the power, but most astonishing is how it lowers the noise floor.  The details stand out and have presence like never before in my system.  All I know is that it works well in my system.  Perhaps you can try one by finding one in the used market.  I’d search hifishark for a used Everest. ;)

I apologize to all for moving off topic.

Ken

Vinylshadow

« Reply #173 on: 22 Jan 2021, 10:03 pm »
Hello, I know of the Shunyata forum that you speak of, and I post there infrequently.  I agree that they are a cult, but I still ended up buying a Denali 6000/S v2 and Everest 8000.  I’m lucky to know a dealer friend for over 20 years to make it happen.  The Everest not only does an incredible job of cleaning up the power, but most astonishing is how it lowers the noise floor.  The details stand out and have presence like never before in my system.  All I know is that it works well in my system.  Perhaps you can try one by finding one in the used market.  I’d search hifishark for a used Everest. ;)

I apologize to all for moving off topic.

Ken
Thank you for your response. I think it's ok to discuss different power devices here in relation to the Puritan's. We are all trying to learn...I've been curious about the Everest but it is very expensive. And then the Sigma or Omega power cable! But I am happy to hear that it works so well for you. I don't think any used Everest's are for sale yet.

In researching the Puritan 1512, I just found out about PI Audio Groups UberBuss power conditioner. It seems to be very similar to the 1512's abilities but about half the price and has no surge suppression(or metal box) and can be customized. Interestingly, Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata strongly feels that it is most effective and the "absolute best method" of surge suppression to put it at the breaker box(with a ground rod) and not the equipment rack as it adds inductance(Garth Powell of Audioquest strongly disagrees as he thinks RF noise is introduced).  Fascinating the difference in opinion. I was considering a Siemens FS140 house surge suppressor anyhow so.......

I find this power conditioner discussion so interesting. Thank you.

debjit.g

« Reply #174 on: 19 Feb 2021, 07:47 pm »
Does anyone connect high power tube amps (like 845/805) to the Puritan ?

Randy

« Reply #175 on: 19 Feb 2021, 08:13 pm »
No kidding. Well, that is a solid endorsement...... But "switched" from which power devices. AQ's 5000?

I have been corresponding with Garth Powell of Audioquest.....A very friendly, informative guy. He of course thinks the Niagara's are the bees knees but I asked him about the Puritan's devices as I am just learning about them here. He replied-
"I can give chapter and verse on the basic multiple common-mode non-linear filters with DC blocks Puritan’s built, what’s good about some of that, what’s not so good as well…, and I can do that for anything on the market (including everything I’ve ever designed).  There are going to be two constants in this exercise:

1)Every companies marketing department will have creative ways in which to stand apart.  Regardless of how unique (or not), their technology is.
2)You will not know what you prefer in total without trying it first (ideally in your system).

I can give you chapters of why I believe Niagara is superior to anything on the market (and handily…), but that’s my opinion.  It’s based on experience, careful listening, and real-world verifiable measurements, but I can’t determine what people will most enjoy (nobody can).

Rather than going through these questions, could I first ask you a favor?  If you haven’t already, please download and read (and hear the audio samples) “Power Demystified.”  It’s my white paper on AC power and it’s effect on audio-video systems.  Go to our AudioQuest website-Niagara products-Niagara 7000- scroll to bottom of page, it’s one of the links.  If you can get that knowledge first, we are on a more solid footing."

I haven't looked at his white paper yet. The audio files might be interesting.

Thanks.

I had a Niagara 1000, and it did nothing for my system except provide a power strip for plugging in my units. No positive effect sonically as far as I could tell.

AndrewA

« Reply #176 on: 19 Feb 2021, 10:40 pm »
Identical experience with the 1000.  Its awkward shape led to the redesign of the 1200.

Puritan much superior.

Truder

« Reply #177 on: 21 Feb 2021, 06:52 pm »
Has anyone come across a comparison between the 136 and 156?? I'm not sure which one best fits my needs.

Thanks.
The early psm 136 had an 8A fuse in each output and that is the type whose tests can be found on the internet. After it was noticed in a few tests that big amps in particular lost a little bit of bas dynamics, the 136 has been updated. All 6 outputs were then equipped WITHOUT teh 8A fuses and can now handle max 15A , just like the psm 156.
 Both , the 136 and the 156 gave the same result when my dealer took a measurement with an Line emi noise meter. I also did contact Mike Lester from Puritan to ask him about the audible  differences between both psm's. He did answer me and wrote to me that audible there is no difference if You do not use many devices together. The extra filtering from the 156 insures an even better separation between the 6 sockets. However , the 136 already has a very good separation. In my case, most off the time I only use my Hegel H590 all in one and sometimes also the Sony cdp xa50es. I did a measurement at home with an Isotek mains noise analyser from1000€ witch I did borrow from my dealer. I had 740 on my line before the psm 136 and at my psm 136 it was 000!!!

Truder

« Reply #178 on: 21 Feb 2021, 07:08 pm »
Does anyone connect high power tube amps (like 845/805) to the Puritan ?

Yes I do. My Hegel H590 is connected and it can deliver 2x 300watt /8 ohm (600 watt /4 ohm) .
My dynaudio are 4 ohm speakers.
Dynamics are fantastic.

Early B.

« Reply #179 on: 22 Feb 2021, 03:36 pm »
Both , the 136 and the 156 gave the same result when my dealer took a measurement with an Line emi noise meter. I also did contact Mike Lester from Puritan to ask him about the audible  differences between both psm's. He did answer me and wrote to me that audible there is no difference if You do not use many devices together. The extra filtering from the 156 insures an even better separation between the 6 sockets. However , the 136 already has a very good separation. In my case, most off the time I only use my Hegel H590 all in one and sometimes also the Sony cdp xa50es. I did a measurement at home with an Isotek mains noise analyser from1000€ witch I did borrow from my dealer. I had 740 on my line before the psm 136 and at my psm 136 it was 000!!!

If the 136 gave you a 0 reading from a noise analyzer, then how much better can the 156 or any other power conditioner be???