Listen with lights ON or OFF ??

MttBsh

Re: Listen with lights ON or OFF ??
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2020, 07:21 pm »
Here’s what I meant by lights of, chilled martini on, with just a light glow of flames from the fireplace. The perfect listening ambiance!

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2020, 09:40 pm »
chilled martini

Vodka or gin? My friend Kat always makes Bombay Sapphire martinis, hint of vermouth, olive and pearl onion. I cure olives picked from a tree in my back yard then Thai hot peppers are added to the pickling solution, those olives add a zing to a martini.

Mike-48

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2020, 10:25 pm »
I used to listen with a glass of Scotch in hand. I think it improved my experience. Gave it up for health reasons, alas.

I do listen often with the lights off. That also improves the experience considerably. Thanks for bringing it up!

P.S. In a martini, it's gin -- and very little vermouth -- for me. So delicious and so effective it could be illegal.

jjss49

« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2020, 11:59 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #24 on: 18 Nov 2020, 12:29 am »
Depending on my mood , usually grumpy, a glass of Cabernet or a single malt set the right tone for me! Bourbon is best left for sporting events and movies...

MttBsh

« Reply #25 on: 18 Nov 2020, 01:44 am »

P.S. In a martini, it's gin -- and very little vermouth -- for me. So delicious and so effective it could be illegal.

I do prefer gin - there's one called "Big Gin" that I like more than Bombay - and green olives w/garlic. There's an anecdote about how little vermouth to add: After pouring the gin in the martini glass you drive by the house with the vermouth in the trunk.

A Brit once told me that the British army manual talks about carrying the makings for a martini on maneuvers. If you happen to get lost, start making a martini and others will quickly show up to tell you a better way to make it.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #26 on: 18 Nov 2020, 09:46 am »
To closeout the evening; I turn the lights OFF and put on one of my special tunes which I only play with lights OFF:
The Hadouk Trio - Soft Landing
Patricia Barber - Winter Illusions

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #27 on: 18 Nov 2020, 02:07 pm »
Lights dimmed for me. Sitting in total darkness doesn't help me "see" what's going on in the recording. With the lights on, I can much better see physical presence of the singer and players.

Housteau

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jan 2021, 11:49 pm »
Lights dim and eyes open.  I like having a visual focal point. 

However, I can understand closing ones eyes in order to feel more relaxed.  But, closing them in order to believe you are in a different space is more difficult for me to follow.  I do believe that sight influences what we hear.  Even with eyes closed our brains know where we are from just seeing it.  Personally I find that in my listening room and others as well, what I hear mixes with those visual cues and completes that virtual presentation.  Real, or not smaller narrow rooms sound small and narrow to me, while larger spaces properly set up tend more to the majestic, if the music calls for it that is.     

acou

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2021, 12:47 am »
The darker the better! I even put electrical tape on the bright LED.
 Last week I borrowed a DAC from a friend with lots of bright blue LED, when I opened my eyes I felt like a deer in front of a car.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan 2021, 12:12 pm »
The darker the better! I even put electrical tape on the bright LED.
 Last week I borrowed a DAC from a friend with lots of bright blue LED, when I opened my eyes I felt like a deer in front of a car.

Jason from NuPrime gave a good solution for bright LED's, a fine tip felt pen.  Much less messy than sticky electrical tape.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan 2021, 02:21 pm »
I added a smart led. Can change colors and dim according to my mood! That and some candles it’s nice!

rodge827

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2021, 02:39 pm »
Jason from NuPrime gave a good solution for bright LED's, a fine tip felt pen.  Much less messy than sticky electrical tape.

I had great results using Light Dims they come in a variety of colors and do an exceptional job at blocking all light. With no sticky tape residue.

http://www.lightdims.com/index.php

Can be purchase on Amazon

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: 19 Jan 2021, 01:27 pm »
Typically, I dim the lights.  My room is pretty well light controlled during the day with blackout curtains.  I do often close my eyes to imagine musician placement.  In the evening, a glass of Cabernet helps.

Marcus
Las Vegas, NV

Markwatkiss

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2021, 02:18 pm »
For me it's lights dimmed with task lighting on several pieces of music art while enjoying selections of Jazz and International music.And for you Martini aficionados Hendricks is the ultimate gin.Shaken not stirred.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2021, 03:09 pm »
I have a blue LED strip under the rack and behind the corner traps so I can have some background mood lighting.

Kgreen

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2021, 11:24 pm »

I prefer a very low output light...10w...in the corners behind the speakers...like a haze. It allows the orange/amber glow from the tubes  to mesmerize me.

Mike-48

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jan 2021, 06:46 pm »
I had great results using Light Dims they come in a variety of colors and do an exceptional job at blocking all light. With no sticky tape residue.

http://www.lightdims.com/index.php

Can be purchased on Amazon.

Me, too! They are really handy, and while expensive for what they are, they're cheap in an absolute sense, and cheap for how useful they are.

bstanwick

« Reply #38 on: 2 Feb 2021, 01:05 am »
I can listen with lights on or dimmed, but eyes closed for serious listening.

I notice that a couple of users said glasses off.  If you are a glasses off listener, do you think there is an improvement over glasses on?  Is so, why do you think it makes a difference?

richidoo

« Reply #39 on: 2 Feb 2021, 01:38 am »
Treble diffracts around the lens edges so it sounds better without.