Daedalus Audio Isolation devices

benjaminp

Re: Daedalus Audio Isolation devices
« Reply #40 on: 6 Dec 2015, 04:42 pm »
That's amazing isolator. I would name is Isotop if still possible.

Ben,

werd

« Reply #41 on: 9 Dec 2015, 05:05 pm »
What wood material is used to seat the bearing?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 9 Dec 2015, 07:04 pm »
What wood material is used to seat the bearing?

We use cherry. That and walnut are great tone woods. Maple is good as a shelf but for direct contact the cherry or walnut are preferred.

thanks

brj

« Reply #43 on: 9 Dec 2015, 10:25 pm »
We use cherry. That and walnut are great tone woods. Maple is good as a shelf but for direct contact the cherry or walnut are preferred.

Interesting... due to the hardness of the wood?  Red Maple is very close to Black Walnut and Cherry in hardness, vs. the much harder Hard (Sugar) Maple.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 9 Dec 2015, 10:41 pm »
Interesting... due to the hardness of the wood?  Red Maple is very close to Black Walnut and Cherry in hardness, vs. the much harder Hard (Sugar) Maple.

most hardwoods are fairly close in hardness etc but all sound radically different in instruments.... people have been rating the woods for under electronics for decades and cherry always comes out at the top of the list.

jriggy

« Reply #45 on: 10 Dec 2015, 05:37 pm »
Hey Lou,

Is there a weight limit for the DiDs? I think I read on the flyer or in a post that they are fine for amps but I am not finding it. Mine amp is 60lbs. Is that fine to try?

Jason

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #46 on: 10 Dec 2015, 06:05 pm »

thanks

This statement got my curiosity. Slightly aside from the DiDs, does the customer's choice between cherry and walnut affect the tonal qualities of your speakers noticeably?  I know it may very well be splitting hairs, but from a purely sonic perspective, do you have a preference in building your speakers for one wood over another?  Regarding walnut in the same vein, is there a difference in sound between the ebonized walnut and that treated with the standard finish?

Thanks for briefly humoring what may be an off question. :)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #47 on: 10 Dec 2015, 06:54 pm »
Hey Lou,

Is there a weight limit for the DiDs? I think I read on the flyer or in a post that they are fine for amps but I am not finding it. Mine amp is 60lbs. Is that fine to try?

Jason

I have them under my ModWright KWA 150SE and it weighs 85 lbs. They seem to work just fine.

jriggy

« Reply #48 on: 10 Dec 2015, 08:19 pm »
I have them under my ModWright KWA 150SE and it weighs 85 lbs. They seem to work just fine.

Great! Thanks for the post, Laura!  Now if I can only get to and lift the back of my amp...

vinyl_lady

« Reply #49 on: 10 Dec 2015, 08:30 pm »
Great! Thanks for the post, Laura!  Now if I can only get to and lift the back of my amp...

That was the hardest part.

Folsom

« Reply #50 on: 10 Dec 2015, 09:03 pm »

Have you tried using more than 3?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #51 on: 10 Dec 2015, 09:18 pm »
Have you tried using more than 3?

No

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #52 on: 10 Dec 2015, 11:49 pm »
I used some blocks of wood, old rubber pad and longer pieces of scrap wood to slowly jack and block my amp up by my self.  I was actually using wooden blocks from my child hood play set.  Nothing fancy just a little here and there.  Glad I had Tonka trucks as a kid and not a tablet.

I will get to do this again when I order my DiDs :thumb:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 11 Dec 2015, 06:09 am »
This statement got my curiosity. Slightly aside from the DiDs, does the customer's choice between cherry and walnut affect the tonal qualities of your speakers noticeably?  I know it may very well be splitting hairs, but from a purely sonic perspective, do you have a preference in building your speakers for one wood over another?  Regarding walnut in the same vein, is there a difference in sound between the ebonized walnut and that treated with the standard finish?

Thanks for briefly humoring what may be an off question. :)

no worries, people always ask that and it is a good question. The different wood choices for the speaker make no discernible tonal difference. They are all relatively close in density and there is a ton of bracing inside the cabinets so there is almost no resonance.
thanks,
lou

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 11 Dec 2015, 06:13 am »
Hey Lou,

Jason

we have used them under the new Modwright mono blocks which are over 120lbs, three of them should support 200 lbs with no problems. If your amp is larger than that use four. :icon_lol:

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #55 on: 14 Dec 2015, 04:45 am »
I received 6 DIDs this weekend.
Very nice build, can't wait to hear them

My amps have pointed feet (rounded a little at bottom)

Should I put the small felt stick ons on top of the cherry to avoid scratches or does that affect the coupling?

It looks like from the pictures you are actually not using the components footers but have the DIDS right under the base of the component

Thanks

vinyl_lady

« Reply #56 on: 14 Dec 2015, 06:39 am »

Should I put the small felt stick ons on top of the cherry to avoid scratches or does that affect the coupling?

It looks like from the pictures you are actually not using the components footers but have the DIDS right under the base of the component

Thanks

I took the footers (spikes) off of my ModWright KWA150SE so the DIDs were flush against the bottom of the amp and the spikes did not get in the way. That was Lou's recommendation.

ACHiPo

« Reply #57 on: 14 Dec 2015, 01:15 pm »
Well, I've got 3 sets on order.  I've tried other ball bearing/wood devices, and while they helped open up my AtmaSpere amps, I couldn't hear a difference on any of my other gear.  It will be interesting to see what these do.

jriggy

« Reply #58 on: 14 Dec 2015, 03:09 pm »

Thanks

I put the felt on the DiDs to avoid any residual surface to surface interaction/vibration. Worked better in my system.
Since the DiDs do not go under stock footers and they go under the chassis of component, there is no reason to remove the stock footers IF the DiDs are tall enough to let the stock footers float.

Best of luck!

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #59 on: 14 Dec 2015, 04:29 pm »
I placed the DIDs under the edges of my 65 lb Doshi mono blocks

I have the fronts hanging over about 3/8s of an inch

Perfectly raised the rounded spikes off the rack

The DIDs give the amps an elegant look
can't wait to hear how they enhance the sound

These are very substaintially put together