IDA-8 paring with AV Receiver

neverfget

IDA-8 paring with AV Receiver
« on: 11 Jan 2019, 03:00 pm »
Hello

I have just purchased IDA-8 and tried to set it up. I's appreciate your help in the following concerns:

1) With connected properly my speakers (Klipsch RP-260F) to IDA-8 and turning it on I am hearing noise from tweeters. It supposed to be very quiet. I guess it's due to a high sensitivity of the speakers?

2)  The volume knob turns not always smoothly: it turns smoothly with steps for about 20o, then it gets very hard to turn it, but it still turns, then again it turns smoothly with steps for another 20o... this is happening all the 360o when I turn the volume knob. Is it defective or this is normal?

3) My previous integrated amplifier Marantz PM6006 (UK) was connected to A/V receiver Marantz SR7011 using its pre outs for front speakers (analog RCAs). With volume level on PM6006 at 12:00 hours and 30% of volume from SR7011 the sound was loud enough from the front speakers. With the same set up scheme using IDA-8 instead of PM6006 I hear very little volume from the front speakers. Please let me understand why the sound is so quiet taking into consideration that PM6006 is 45W and IDA-8 is 100W. When IDA-8 is directly connected to digital source (optical) the volume is just OK (but still lower than when PM6006 was directly connected through optical).

I'd appreciate your answer very much as wanted to have positive feeling from the purchase (currently it's really dark)....

Thanks!

avta

Re: IDA-8 paring with AV Receiver
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2019, 03:43 pm »
I have an IDA 8. Sound coming from the speakers when not expected can be many things. So called Ground loops are common so that's one possibility. Try to be sure all your components are plugged into the same outlet. Using a power strip is one way too do this. The volume knob should move smoothly throughout its full arc. Your unit may not be working correctly. I would suggest contacting Nuprime about your issues.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2019, 03:46 pm »
When you say noise do you mean hum?  Hum is common from cable boxes (if there is one near the system).

neverfget

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2019, 05:35 pm »
Thanks a lot for the responses! They are very helpful.

This is actually not hum, just little noise from tweeters, like a hiss.
Regarding the knob - it's obvious defective then.

Thank again!

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2019, 08:08 pm »
1) With connected properly my speakers (Klipsch RP-260F) to IDA-8 and turning it on I am hearing noise from tweeters. It supposed to be very quiet. I guess it's due to a high sensitivity of the speakers?

If you put your ear close to the tweeter, what you will hear is the switching noise, which is normal. 

2)  The volume knob turns not always smoothly: it turns smoothly with steps for about 20o, then it gets very hard to turn it, but it still turns, then again it turns smoothly with steps for another 20o... this is happening all the 360o when I turn the volume knob. Is it defective or this is normal?

Try to pull out the knob slightly.

3) My previous integrated amplifier Marantz PM6006 (UK) was connected to A/V receiver Marantz SR7011 using its pre outs for front speakers (analog RCAs). With volume level on PM6006 at 12:00 hours and 30% of volume from SR7011 the sound was loud enough from the front speakers. With the same set up scheme using IDA-8 instead of PM6006 I hear very little volume from the front speakers. Please let me understand why the sound is so quiet taking into consideration that PM6006 is 45W and IDA-8 is 100W. When IDA-8 is directly connected to digital source (optical) the volume is just OK (but still lower than when PM6006 was directly connected through optical).

The volume curve or gain is not the same.  NuPrime tend to optimise the volume setting at higher level for better overall performance. This is not related to power.

neverfget

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2019, 08:48 pm »
rustydoglim,

Unfortunately, the pulling the knob out did not help. I tried this with different pressure, being conscious though....

I needed integrated amp to be used for both purposes: as part of cinema set up through pre outs, and stereo music listening from direct sourcing (mostly digital).
I found this amp potentially serving the purpose. As stereo amp it's just great (compared to PM6006), but it cannot serve as component of cinema set up. As I understood it wasn't supposed to.

Thank you for the help!

Kind Regards

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2019, 01:16 pm »
Then it is time for support to step in.  Use the Help Desk to create a ticket.

neverfget

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2019, 08:02 pm »
Thank you!