Coming to Capital Audiofest?
+1 on that request

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
EVOKE Eddie Design Concept
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2016, 07:37 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle. 

Interesting looking design.  I like the concept.  Any plots with on/off axis measurements? Any experiments with adding a dipole tweeter to increase the soundstage?

Not sure why folks are bothered by the amp suggestion.  Looks like these are clearly not designed for the small SET folks. The nature of a planer 3 way crossover speaker probably means they need some current to achieve realistic dynamic range passages.

I'm curious about the drivers.  Are they proprietary, or sourced? If sourced, what brand(s)?

Are you selling direct from the web only, or adding dealers?  Coming to Capital Audiofest?

Hello, Rusty -

Thanks very much for your email and compliments. I do have measurements of the reference model but don't want to publish yet until I confirm production models. Each speaker will be measured separately so it matches the reference speaker. I can tell you that the off axis response looks really great and there is minimal lobing vertically on the production sample. Response is truly +/- 3 db from 35 - 20K. 

In my life I've owned some wonderful speakers such as the Infinity Servo-Statik 1A. So ahead of its time - but a pain to set up and depended on the room mores so than a point source. I am playing with adding a rear planar on larger models  with its own level control - but that will depend on blind listening when that model is prototyped. Hopefully you will have a chance to hear EDDIE and you may think dipole is not needed. Even I was surprised after all was said and done with the soundstage.

The amp issue is very real for people. Yes, it's not a SET. It will play at lower levels with a smaller amp. But as you so keenly mentioned, current will allow for greater dynamics. Low current really makes the bottom end suffer...  One of my test amps - a hybrid with Class A tube front end and Darlington array on the back end tweaked toward Class A just falls apart on the bottom on higher volumes. The NuPrime STA-9 is awesome. The difference is outrageous. At that level you can hear the difference between DACs in a very real way - not slight but huge. (I am developing RUBY - a smaller 2-Way that is VERY efficient.)

The mid-woof is very low mass designed to match the planar. I chose the ribbon over a planar tweeter so as not to sound so sterile on the upper octaves. The Strat F1 planar is totally proprietary. I love that driver. From an engineering perspective it's amazing. They are substantial to say the least.

John Casler is the exclusive marketing guy right now for EVOKE. You may know him from VMPS. We are showing at THE Show in Newport Beach next month. Those are the only plans for right now. You can find him here on the EVOKE threads.

Please drop an email if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Mark

KLH007

Re: Welcome to EVOKE Loudspeakers
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2016, 10:18 pm »
Mark, You need to come East and show at CAF, great exposure on the Right Coast.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2016, 10:37 pm »
Mark, You need to come East and show at CAF, great exposure on the Right Coast.

Thanks for the invitation. I hope to travel a lot more over the next year. Right now the focus is on THE Show and all the excitement surrounding that. We might do a few road trips though. I'll keep everyone posted  :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

Re: EVOKE Eddie Design Concept
« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2016, 10:44 pm »

In my life I've owned some wonderful speakers such as the Infinity Servo-Statik 1A.

Not many can say this!

I love J. Gordon Holt's review from November 1968:
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/845/index.html#mvuuMDj61khiEUTm.97

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2016, 11:02 pm »
Not many can say this!

I love J. Gordon Holt's review from November 1968:
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/845/index.html#mvuuMDj61khiEUTm.97

I was so broke then. I thought $3000 was the end of the world! I had an Audio Research 3-way tube crossover, an SAE amp for the mids and way back then TAS loved the Advent 300 receiver - so that 15 WPC powered the tweeters. I remember taking an entire paycheck to buy a Grado Signature cartridge. In the SS1A brochure - one of the memorable lines said "Oh the responsibility to be an Infinity woofer". I still have that brochure somewhere. It was actually made for them by Cerwin Vega. That seems forever ago.  :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2016, 11:43 pm »
I read the Holt review. Interesting to see a loudspeaker whose base price was 2K 1996 dollars (translates to about $3100 in 2016 dollars) described as "appallingly expensive" by one of the foremost high end publications. My, how times have changed. Today, show reports by Stereophile and TAS don't bat an eye at reporting $40K speakers.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2016, 11:51 pm »

I was so broke then. I thought $3000 was the end of the world! I had an Audio Research 3-way tube crossover, an SAE amp for the mids and way back then TAS loved the Advent 300 receiver - so that 15 WPC powered the tweeters. I remember taking an entire paycheck to buy a Grado Signature cartridge. In the SS1A brochure - one of the memorable lines said "Oh the responsibility to be an Infinity woofer". I still have that brochure somewhere. It was actually made for them by Cerwin Vega. That seems forever ago.  :D

It's interesting to correlate that the for the price of an SS1a then you could get a Camaro SS.

dB Cooper

« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2016, 12:00 am »
Most people probably opted for the Camaro. At 29.9 cents a gallon, 13mpg didn't seem too bad  :lol:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2016, 12:16 am »
I read the Holt review. Interesting to see a loudspeaker whose base price was 2K 1996 dollars (translates to about $3100 in 2016 dollars) described as "appallingly expensive" by one of the foremost high end publications. My, how times have changed. Today, show reports by Stereophile and TAS don't bat an eye at reporting $40K speakers.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2016, 12:54 am »
According to an inflation calendar, $2000 in 1968 dollars is $13,685.75 in 2016 $. According to my gut feeling, things are about 10X what they were, then—houses and cars, anyway. Tools are less than half the price, now. Good cheap speakers made in China are around a fifth the price, once you adjust for inflation.

Joe Frances

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jun 2016, 02:49 am »
Where will the speakers be made?  Will they be sold over the internet; or through dealers?

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 5 Jun 2016, 03:32 am »
Where will the speakers be made?  Will they be sold over the internet; or through dealers?

EDDIE is made in Southern California. Product is available for sale now. I have a rep demo'ing in Beverly Hills. Not sure about the internet yet. But you can buy direct. Feel free to PM me. I'm speaking with several dealers as well across the country as well.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #33 on: 5 Jun 2016, 05:14 am »
"(I am developing RUBY - a smaller 2-Way that is VERY efficient.)"

This sounds interesting.  :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #34 on: 5 Jun 2016, 10:36 am »
Audio inflation might make for an interesting thread.

Speaking of John Casler, the Eddie looks very much like the VMPS 626, perhaps the best overall (size, budget considered) speaker big Brian ever built.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 5 Jun 2016, 12:55 pm »
"(I am developing RUBY - a smaller 2-Way that is VERY efficient.)"

This sounds interesting.  :wink:

Thanks for the comment. Ruby is sounding good.  Doing some final XO tweaks and she will be ready for John C and friends to make Final judgements before production.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 5 Jun 2016, 01:01 pm »
Audio inflation might make for an interesting thread.

Speaking of John Casler, the Eddie looks very much like the VMPS 626, perhaps the best overall (size, budget considered) speaker big Brian ever built.

Hi JLM. Good observation. Yes. Brian and Arnie Nudell influence me greatly. There are a few differences. The midrange is absolutely insane. And the XO is much more advanced. Response art THE Show has been great.

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #37 on: 21 Aug 2016, 04:17 pm »
IMO, I think answer to w/ch is not so much wattage available but a properly implemented power supply.