Absolute Sound reviews the Audio by Van Alstine DVA M225 mono amps

AllanS

If they say Frank's amp is the cat's meow it's a safe bet that it is.
I’ll find out for myself soon enough…

KLH007

The M225s are the best amps I've had in my system, holographic soundstage, exciting dynamic swings, spot-on string tone, realistic vocals, impactive bass, and did I mention how in the room voices sound.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
The M225s are the best amps I've had in my system, holographic soundstage, exciting dynamic swings, spot-on string tone, realistic vocals, impactive bass, and did I mention how in the room voices sound.
+1

I’ll find out for myself soon enough…
I don't think you'll be disappointed,  :D

WGH

The DVA M225 review is now front and center on the main page of the Absolute Sound website

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/

avahifi

Thanks for the heads up and the link to the Absolute Sound M225 review.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audio-by-van-alstine-dva-m225-monoblock-power-amplifier

Frank

Nick B

Congratulations! An excellent review. I’m already happily in the AVA family with the SET 120  :thumb:

simon wagstaff

I had the SET 120 for a while, and then traded it in for a pair of the DV225s.

I liked them both, but there is really no comparison

With the SET 120 I thought "wow, this is a nice sounding amp with a great soundstage!"

With the Dv 225 I thought "WOW"

It's a truly enveloping sound that seems to get better each time I listen.

Thanks Frank!

RCduck7

I have set my mind on a Naim Supernait 3 for some time now but since i read good things on the DVA M225's from reviews and users i'm not so sure anymore. Does anyone here had Naim before in their system. Would like to know what the difference is in sound signature.

Rocket

Hi,

If you live in the USA I'd say that an AVA amplifier is a no brainer plus your supporting your own country. Plus Frank has a 30 day guarantee on his products:

https://avahifi.com/pages/satisfaction-guarantee

If you don't like it just return it.

Cheers Rod

RCduck7

Hi,

If you live in the USA I'd say that an AVA amplifier is a no brainer plus your supporting your own country. Plus Frank has a 30 day guarantee on his products:

https://avahifi.com/pages/satisfaction-guarantee

If you don't like it just return it.

Cheers Rod

I live in Europe, Belgium. So i can't.

avahifi

The M225 amps weigh only 17 pounds each so shipping is reasonably low if return is needed.

Frank

G E

Last weekend I had a chance to listen to The M225 at Simon Wagstaff’s place. He has a very nice system with VMPS RM-2 speakers and twin VMPS subs.  Yeah, lots of bass!

The M225s were used to drive the tweets and midrange neo panels, another amp did the bass, and digital  amps on the subs.

We listened for several hours each evening over3 days: it was an intoxicatingly good listening experience!

A superb 3D sound field, energized music (the neo panel ribbon mids bring music to life with quality electronics), and a seamless presentation across the front.  I noted a hint of sweetness to the mid and highs. Zero listener fatigue after 3 hours or more of listening.

I am very impressed.

I have the VMPS RM 30 speakers which also use the neo mid panels, 3 per speaker vs 2 per with the RM-2. And my upstream electronics include Pass Labs and Bryston 28 squared mono blocks.

I have to say Frank’s M225 deliver 90% plus performance of my electronics. That is a major accomplishment. It’s gets mighty expensive to get that last 10%….

Well done Team Frank.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2022, 04:00 am by G E »

simon wagstaff

Thanks for the comments GE. I really enjoyed your visit.

Dimensionality, incisiveness, liquidity, depth, liquidity, and 3-D presentation are words I use to describe the "sound" of the DVA M225 amps. Can't comment on the bass as I am using them only from 250 hz on up.

My front end, Marantz AV8802a, is clearly a limiting factor when compared to yours, but I need that eq and crossover. Still, I can easily achieve unimaginable audio nirvana on a regular basis. Listening to the SACD of Roxy Music Manifesto right now and hear things I hadn't heard before. A lifetime of musical discovery.

We've come a ways since your KLH speakers and Kenwood receiver in your dorm room, though we did combine for a quad set up together sophomore year (1974).

Wish I would have kept either my Technics Sl1200 or my Thorens TD166.

I've had some amps over time but this AVA amp is something special. We need to compare them to your big Brystons someday. I could easily put these in my suitcase, the Brystons maybe not.

:)

mr_bill

An AVA M225 vs Bryston Cubed would be a great comparison!

avahifi

Note for only 60 percent more, you can get our new M750 amplifiers.

Same design and same amazing sound but upscaled for more then three times the power and even better dynamics and bass control.

Available now.

https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/dva-m750-monoblock-power-amplifier

Frank

RCduck7

Hello, I'm really certain these mono amps are the best in their price class but i also read they are not as rich or not have the tone of a pass labs. The pass labs is out of my reach to i tend to go for the m225 instead BUT! Arcam has a rich tone for less. And tend to go for a pa 240 or the older p49. i'm afraid when i buy the m225 i will fall in the same trap of not buying the rich sound i look after.

I.Greyhound Fan

I reviewed the 225's and compared it to my Pass X250 amp.  The 225's have rich tone.  If you want more rich tone, go for the AVA SET amp.  It has a fabulous midrange.

G E

Rich tone and the M225 amps…

Earlier in this thread I recounted listening several hours over several days left to a fellow AudioCircler’s system with his M225 mono blocks. They played warmth, among other attributes, if the warmth was part of the recording. They don’t colorize lean productions.

You mentioned Pass.  Class A amps done well provide a beguiling soundscape. Almost a tubelike glow to the music…. But they tend to be heavy, run hot, and expensive. The Pass Labs XA  series amps are more than $14k for a used pair of their 160 watt mono blocks….  Frank’s M225s are far less expensive and small enough to put in your back pockets. .., well, I exaggerate a bit.

Every component in your system contributes to the overall sonic presentation. Synergies are essential as you get more resolving kit.  It’s a lot of trial and error getting the right combo. It helps immensely AVA has a trial period for their products.

And I strongly encourage acoustic room treatment if you are serious about high quality sound reproduction. It should be undertaken before you even think about new equipment.  It’s a serious game changer and a heck of a bang for the bucks.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Note for only 60 percent more, you can get our new M750 amplifiers.

Good point to let people know it's the same design and sonics.

Rocket Ronny

RCduck7

The speakers i will be using are Dynaudio Heritage Specials. They are that little bit further away from the typical house sound of most Dynaudio speakers. They are faster and closer to studio monitor sound. I had these running with class D Marashino amps from the Digital amp company. Great amps for most speakers but not for these Dynaudios. A little bright, forward and flat sounding. These speakers need current and Class A or A/B.