Let's talk wood...

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Let's talk wood...
« Reply #20 on: 9 Dec 2022, 10:46 pm »

An ML-TL, should go low if properly designed. The bracing is running the wrong way in these, all the braces should be vertical.

We only use MDF for bases and vent spacers, we mostly use quality plywood. IMO MDF is the last material you want to use.

Solid builds are possible but the woodworker needs to know what they are doing. Solid wood “moves” and if it moves too far your loudspeaker box cracks.

I m fortunate enuff to work with a couple guys who know whatthey are doing. I have and have seen some fantastic solid builds. Literally works of art.

Smaller enclosures will be less likely to have issues.

But big is doable. The wood in these was the floor in Bernie’s house for 70 years,

Some more examples:

These in the sme fir as the big ones with some dark maple as the bit that shrunk the driver cutout. Just the boxes on top.

Mahogany?

FHXL (and stand) in Mahogany:

Yellow Cedar (the smaller speakers in front):

But if you want to have pretty, really solid (probably better than any solid), and without the issue sof solid, stranded/fossilized bamboo plywood. These are a bit garish in Neopolitan, but there are other “flavours”

dave

viggen

« Reply #21 on: 9 Dec 2022, 11:07 pm »
i don't like mdf anything.  has a bleached resonance sound. 

Early B.

« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2022, 01:29 am »
If the wood enclosure is heavily damped (with No Rez, for example), how much of the character of the wood do you actually hear, if any?