EXPANDING THE ALPHA WOOD SERIES

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
EXPANDING THE ALPHA WOOD SERIES
« on: 3 Feb 2016, 05:29 pm »
MORE OPTIONS, SIZES, AND USES
[/b][/size]

ATLANTA, GA (February 3, 2016) – Leading acoustic treatment manufacturer GIK Acoustics is proud to announce the expansion of the Alpha Wood Series with larger panels as well as corner bass traps.

GIK first introduced the Alpha Wood Series last fall with the launch of our 4A Alpha Panel. Last month at the NAMM Show we displayed the Corner CT Alpha Bass Trap, the large 2A Alpha Panel with freestanding supports as well as the 6A Alpha Panel. These products are now available for sale directly worldwide on all our websites.

Changing the face of acoustic panels and bass traps, the Alpha Wood Series beautifully combines absorption with diffusion and enhances any room both aesthetically and acoustically with superior quality, high-performing, and stylish room treatments.

There are three ranges of Alpha Panels:

2A Alpha Panel is 2″ thick
4A Alpha Panel is 4″ thick
6A Alpha Panel is 6″ thick
All Alpha Panels are available in two standard sizes: 23.75″ x 23.75″ and 23.75″ x 47.75″

Alpha Panels are easy to mount with sawtooth hanger (included). No glue or destructive adhesive when mounting.

Customers have their choice of orientation. The Alpha Panel can be hung vertically or horizontally or in a combination of patterns. The choice is yours.

Optional supports make any 23.75″ x 47.75″ Alpha Panel a freestanding gobo with both an absorption side and a diffusion side. It’s movable, reversible, effective, and beautiful.

GIK Acoustics Corner CT Alpha Bass Trap in cornerThe Corner CT Alpha Bass Trap is designed to absorb pesky low-frequencies that build up in corners while diffusing the upper-frequencies leaving the room more lively.

At 47.75″ tall, the Corner CT Alpha Bass Trap is freestanding and designed to be stacked for floor-to-ceiling coverage.

The Corner CT Alpha Bass Trap effectively absorbs at 50 Hz and above resulting in a beautifully balanced room that will suit even the most critical listener.

Company founder and president, Glenn Kuras says, “When we launched the Alpha Wood Series last fall, we knew there would be more products added to the line and the day has come. I am thrilled to bring these items to our customers. The Alpha Series is truly a game changer for GIK and for the industry.”

With the Alpha Wood Series what you hear and what you see is beautiful.

The 4A Alpha Panel is available for sale direct from all GIK Acoustics websites.

GIK Acoustics – U.S.A. http://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/alpha-wood-series/
GIK Acoustics – Europe http://gikacoustics.co.uk/product-category/alpha-wood-series/
GIK Acoustics – France http://gikacoustics.fr/categorie-de-produit/alpha-wood-series/
GIK Acoustics – Germany http://gikacoustics.de/produktkategorie/alpha-wood-series/

genjamon

Re: EXPANDING THE ALPHA WOOD SERIES
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:31 pm »
Ok, so is the new 6A an equivalent in mid/bass absorption to the monster bass traps?  In the same ballpark?  I mean, would you implement them similarly.  And likewise with the 4A substituting directly for the 244's and so forth? 

Or are there significant absorption performance differences where you might want to stick with the 244's and monster traps if the highest priority was absorption in those bands over the benefits of diffusion?

The reason I ask is that I'm buying a house with a large 20' X 25' space with sloped ceiling from 9' at one end to around 12' at the other that I'm likely to be tiling from what is now plush carpet.  The carpet keeps things well under control for regular voices right now, but damn that space is going to echo when it's all tile flooring.  It won't have a ton of furniture.  Dining room space will have typical dining room table, and china cabinetry.  Living room space is where the system will reside, with probably just one midcentury modern style couch, and then the audio system and some bookcases.  I really like the look of the alpha woods, but I'm concerned about getting enough absorption going, and probably looking at panels on that sloped ceiling.  Would I get enough absorption with the alpha wood panels in this situation, or would the regular full band absorption panels likely be a better call?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:42 pm »
Ok, so is the new 6A an equivalent in mid/bass absorption to the monster bass traps?  In the same ballpark?  I mean, would you implement them similarly.  And likewise with the 4A substituting directly for the 244's and so forth? 

For the most part the 6A matchup with the Monster and so on. The Alpha does absorb a bit more low end but I still would match them up the way you explained it. It is just that we are getting a bit of an helmholtz resonator effect that is never a bad thing. ;)

I would not worry about the Alpha reflecting too much high end back into the room.  A bit hard to explain, but it is still absorbing the upper frequencies, but just more low end, which you want.  I will say that if a client was only looking for upper frequency absorption then I would recommend the 242 or spot panels. In your case though you really need both (low end and a bit of upper absorption/diffusion) which the Alpha is built for. It is just going to tip the scale to absorb more low end. 

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:52 pm »
Interesting, thanks for this Glenn

genjamon

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:53 pm »
If the Alpha actually absorbs more than the Monster, you might take a second look at your descriptions on the website - they may need some updates.  The Monster page states that it has the most bass absorption of any of your panels.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:55 pm »
If the Alpha actually absorbs more than the Monster, you might take a second look at your descriptions on the website - they may need some updates.  The Monster page states that it has the most bass absorption of any of your panels.

Damn good point! That copy is over 10 years old.  :duh:

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2016, 09:01 pm »
I could be wrong,but why would you us scatter plates with absorption or even say diffusor panels(with bass trapping(ex: RT absorber panel diffusor) in the corners.
Wouldn't you want to absorb more low end,seems with the scatter plates you would be reflection the lows also as the wood fronts would reflect a big percentage of the low end.
Have checked all over and never have seen where diffusion/scatter has been used in the corners,
Perhaps I'm missing something,hopefully not a the Alpha's look quite nice.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2016, 10:32 pm »

"I could be wrong,but why would you us scatter plates with absorption or even say diffusor panels(with bass trapping(ex: RT absorber panel diffusor) in the corners.
Wouldn't you want to absorb more low end,seems with the scatter plates you would be reflection the lows also as the wood fronts would reflect a big percentage of the low end.
Have checked all over and never have seen where diffusion/scatter has been used in the corners,
Perhaps I'm missing something,hopefully not a the Alpha's look quite nice."

There is sound diffraction that happens on the low end and mids. Also the plate is thin enough that a lot of the low end goes through the wood. Needless to say if it did not we would have seen this in the lab reports. 
As far as diffusion in corners. It is always best to break up as much sound as you can so you do not have a direct reflection.  With that said though using diffusion out from the corner is great, but you see plenty of designs with bass trapping with a poly shape to the front, for the reasons I pointed out above.

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2016, 01:30 am »
Thanks Glenn,
can the Alpha's be made smaller than 2'x2' say 2'x19"
reason I ask I have a small space above my 1812 sub I'd like to fill and then a 2x2 and 2x4 on my utility door,
that way it would all tie in not that a 2X19 would help to much(just a filler)
If the above is doable then I also have 12"x36" space above my back panels,Thanks.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2016, 03:25 pm »
Thanks Glenn,
can the Alpha's be made smaller than 2'x2' say 2'x19"
reason I ask I have a small space above my 1812 sub I'd like to fill and then a 2x2 and 2x4 on my utility door,
that way it would all tie in not that a 2X19 would help to much(just a filler)
If the above is doable then I also have 12"x36" space above my back panels,Thanks.

There is a mathematical sequence to them so we would not be able to do them to a custom size. Also these are done on a CNC router, which anything custom would have to be programmed in.  Needless to say it would not be cheap venture. ;)

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2016, 05:16 pm »
I thought that would be the case,if we don't ask we don't get,thx.

Maceo23

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2016, 08:17 pm »
Just order a pair of 6A's for my troublesome living room!  Also doing a custom 3 Art Panel tryptic on the back wall of the living room.  Can't wait to set it all up.