Magnepan 30.7 for Condos

sunmoon95

Magnepan 30.7 for Condos
« on: 26 Apr 2023, 06:02 pm »
Dear All,
This is the other product I am seriously looking forward to.....

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/magnepan-focus-group-event/

josh358

Re: Magnepan 30.7 for Condos
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2023, 01:02 am »
By next AXPONA, if all goes well.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2023, 10:26 am »
What size room are these designed for?

josh358

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2023, 03:28 pm »
What size room are these designed for?
They're designed for small rooms, but that doesn't mean they won't work in bigger ones. I think we'll find out in practice, but when I heard them, they were in a very big room and it was the amp that was clipping rather than the speakers bottoming out, and that was with off-the-shelf drivers rather than the custom ones.  (If worst came to worst, you could always double up the woofers so there really isn't a limit.)

If it's a question of them being *too big* for a room, well, the panels are super thin and the woofers are small so I don't think you'll have the same problem as you did with your 20.7's, but that's a guess.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2023, 04:36 pm »
I think I'd have to hear them side by side with the 3.7s.
I have no doubt the bass is better but I wonder about the soundstage.

josh358

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2023, 04:58 pm »
It's sort of the Tympani effect -- the widely separated woofers tend to extend the soundstage laterally. But really, it's going to depend on the width of the room and the distance from which you listen -- the effect could be more or less pronounced.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2023, 12:47 pm »
There are two conversations going: The 30.7 for condos and a stand-alone woofer that seems to be the same triangular shape design as the condo woofer. Same thing??

Will the wiring be the same as the Mini Maggie system - amp > woofer > mid/tweeter panel?

If this will indeed be offered as a standalone product, I would be interested in a pair to go with my LRS's and/or 3.6r's. The DSP has me intrigued, as I have a challenging room to say the least.

jjss49

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2023, 12:37 am »
i am lost on what is being discussed here...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2023, 01:09 am »
We're talking about two things, a complete speaker system and then the (sub)woofer unit by itself.

josh358

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2023, 01:18 am »
There are two conversations going: The 30.7 for condos and a stand-alone woofer that seems to be the same triangular shape design as the condo woofer. Same thing??

Will the wiring be the same as the Mini Maggie system - amp > woofer > mid/tweeter panel?

If this will indeed be offered as a standalone product, I would be interested in a pair to go with my LRS's and/or 3.6r's. The DSP has me intrigued, as I have a challenging room to say the least.
The woofer was designed for the 30.7 for condos system -- it provides the bass for the 12" wide panel. However, it can be used with the other models, and should be available separately. They're experimenting with various combinations to see what works and Wendell Diller has been impressed with how well it works with smaller panels like the LRS+. Only one woofer is needed which makes it more economical.

Anyway, it's a bit too early to say exactly how this will all play out -- about the only thing that can be said for sure is that the woofer is close to going into production with the rest of the condos system on its way as well.

Pryso

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2023, 06:40 pm »
Silly name.  I made this comment elsewhere but add it here in the hopes it gets back to Wendell.

I expect by "condo" what Magnepan is implying is for use in a smaller or common wall dwelling.  But a condo is a classification for ownership type, not architectural style.

A condo can be anything from an apartment type unit in a multi-story building to a row house to a duplex to a free standing single family residence.  A very broad range of housing types.

So hopefully that name will be changed before they go into production.  :roll:

josh358

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2023, 01:08 am »
Silly name.  I made this comment elsewhere but add it here in the hopes it gets back to Wendell.

I expect by "condo" what Magnepan is implying is for use in a smaller or common wall dwelling.  But a condo is a classification for ownership type, not architectural style.

A condo can be anything from an apartment type unit in a multi-story building to a row house to a duplex to a free standing single family residence.  A very broad range of housing types.

So hopefully that name will be changed before they go into production.  :roll:
Right now, it's being called the CSS which, however, stands for Condos Speaker System. I don't know what the final designation will be -- that's up to Mark Winey. But I did ask Wendell about "condos," and he said that "apartment" doesn't sound very good. :-)

Pryso

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2023, 09:53 pm »
Thanks josh.

How about the LESS - Limited Environment Speaker System?

They could coin an advertising phrase: LESS is MORE!  :duh:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2023, 08:33 am »
They'd better check with Gibson guitars, their lawyers are really gung ho.
Years ago they did a Les Paul Lite and ran an ad campaign Les Is More.

How far down does this woofer system go?
I know you said it's not a sub.

josh358

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2023, 12:16 pm »
They'd better check with Gibson guitars, their lawyers are really gung ho.
Years ago they did a Les Paul Lite and ran an ad campaign Les Is More.

How far down does this woofer system go?
I know you said it's not a sub.
I don't actually have a 3 dB point for you -- I have the response curve but I'd never be able to find it, plus I think there may be intellectual property concerns until they file the patents (which they never seem to get around to). But roughly comparable to the large panels.