Projector setup advice.

TJHUB

Re: Projector setup advice.
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2016, 01:33 pm »
Are you getting a pull down screen or a fixed mount?

Fixed.  It's in my first post.  I only use the room for family TV watching and movies.  All other viewing is done in other room, so I decided a fixed screen would be best as no other TV would be used.

ajzepp

« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2016, 08:02 am »
Ive had success with two DIY screens (screen goo), two fixed, and two pull downs. To save money, one thing to consider is a pulldown that you leave in position. Pulldows are less expensive compared to fixed when using the same screen material. Also, leaving it down minimizes the risk of developing waves, which is one of the main issues with pulldowns. Just something to consider.

The gray 1.1 pulldown I got from eastporters a couple years ago is ridiculous value...i can afford a better screen, just dont feel the need for it right now.

No idea why its rotated...

TJHUB

« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2016, 12:44 pm »
Thanks ajzepp.  I'm still learning and trying to figure this whole projector thing out.  I've been all over the place with what projector to buy, so little time has been spent on screens, but I'm looking.  My plan is to pick the screen from a couple of options once I pick the projector.  It seems the fixed frame Silver Ticket screens make number 1 on many lists.  Since the screen should last through multiple projectors, I feel ok about the cost.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2016, 02:59 am »
Personally I'd get a 120 fixed screen and ceiling mount the projector. Unless you get a tensioned retractable screen it's likely to develop problems (wavy - moves with air gusts etc). Tensioned retractable screens are typically a lot more money. In fixed value screens people like carada. Draper, Dalite and elite all have good options as well. I'd try to get one at or close to 1.0 gain with a white material. Bang for buck I like the elite sable models. I like a black velvet frame because it helps with projector overshoot and makes the image pop more.

A competent electrician should be able to install a clock outlet next to the mount for power. If you don't want to do raceway for the HDMI (or Ethernet using HDMI / Ethernet adaptor boxes) then look for a wireless model. In the less expensive projectors I like the epsons, but if your budget allows I'd get a Sony VPL HW40ES, about $1600 grey market & 1800 overstock.com. This is sonys entry level for a true & proper high end HT projector - very low fan noise and high quality video engine (lcos version which they use in their high end projectors).

Lastly - light control is critical for best picture - even with bright projectors. Think of getting dark or black curtains or pull down blinds for those windows if you watch during daylight hours. 

Hope that helps!

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2016, 12:00 pm »
Thanks ajzepp.  I'm still learning and trying to figure this whole projector thing out.  I've been all over the place with what projector to buy, so little time has been spent on screens, but I'm looking.  My plan is to pick the screen from a couple of options once I pick the projector.  It seems the fixed frame Silver Ticket screens make number 1 on many lists.  Since the screen should last through multiple projectors, I feel ok about the cost.

Its overwhelming when you first get into it, thats for sure...I hadnt heard of Silver Ticket, but the AVS folks seem to feel its a solid entry level screen. I typically rely on that forum for video gear.

Dont forget to have fun with all this...it can be stressful, but Im guessing since youre new to this, youll be very happy with whatever you choose.

Be sure to post pics once you get it set up

TJHUB

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2016, 03:52 pm »
Its overwhelming when you first get into it, thats for sure...I hadnt heard of Silver Ticket, but the AVS folks seem to feel its a solid entry level screen. I typically rely on that forum for video gear.

Dont forget to have fun with all this...it can be stressful, but Im guessing since youre new to this, youll be very happy with whatever you choose.

Be sure to post pics once you get it set up

I wish I could consider this fun.  It's so not!  I seem to be changing my mind daily about the projector.  I need to be very budget minded with 2 kids in private school, upcoming college for both, and I just purchased a 4th car.  It's all too much.

The projector choice is killing me, but I think I'm getting these things are very close in performance in my price range.  I think I want to go with a BenQ HT2050, but the Optoma HD28DSE seems very interesting.  Then there's the great deals on refurbished BenQ W1070 and HT1075.  I'm sure any of them would be great for a 1st projector.  I plan to move up to some better a few years down the road.

The room remodel starts this weekend.  I'm thinking all will be done in about 2 weeks.  I will certainly share some pics. 

ajzepp

« Reply #26 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:26 am »
I wish I could consider this fun.  It's so not!  I seem to be changing my mind daily about the projector.  I need to be very budget minded with 2 kids in private school, upcoming college for both, and I just purchased a 4th car.  It's all too much.

The projector choice is killing me, but I think I'm getting these things are very close in performance in my price range.  I think I want to go with a BenQ HT2050, but the Optoma HD28DSE seems very interesting.  Then there's the great deals on refurbished BenQ W1070 and HT1075.  I'm sure any of them would be great for a 1st projector.  I plan to move up to some better a few years down the road.

The room remodel starts this weekend.  I'm thinking all will be done in about 2 weeks.  I will certainly share some pics.

Well, I can't think of a better way to ease the stress by chillaxing with a good movie on a 120" screen :)  The kids will love it, too. It's just an entirely different experience than watching on a tv, regardless of how good the TV may be. That's a really impressive size for a screen, so it'll look fantastic once you're done.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2016, 03:04 am »
Well, I can't think of a better way to ease the stress by chillaxing with a good movie on a 120" screen :)  The kids will love it, too. It's just an entirely different experience than watching on a tv, regardless of how good the TV may be. That's a really impressive size for a screen, so it'll look fantastic once you're done.  :thumb:
That's it right there.
Unless you're a hyper-active OCD video-phile that needs every pixel blended to the 'nth' degree, there's something to be said about a massive screen in your face.
I mean really...I've never been impressed with the video quality of a movie theater. But the size.......

TJHUB

« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2016, 03:35 am »
That's it right there.
Unless you're a hyper-active OCD video-phile that needs every pixel blended to the 'nth' degree, there's something to be said about a massive screen in your face.
I mean really...I've never been impressed with the video quality of a movie theater. But the size.......

I hope I feel the same way.  I never considered myself a videophile, but I certainly can appreciate a nice picture.  I've ALWAYS wanted a projector setup, and I'm beyond excited how close I am to having one. 

The room remodel is underway.  Waiting on some drywall work I want professionally done.  I'm now bogged down installing recessed lighting, but the projector is ordered.  I'm hoping to be done in 2 weeks. 

ajzepp

« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2016, 11:57 pm »
That's it right there.

Totally agree...one of my favorite things to do is rent/buy an older film that has had a proper restoration and transfer to bluray, and then fire it up on the big screen. It's literally like going back in a time machine. Lawrence of Arabia and a few of Clint Eastwoods spaghetti westerns were just such amazing experiences...they looked as if they were just filmed yesterday.

Back when I got my first projector - the Sanyo Z2, which I know you and I both loved - there were times when a 480p or 720p DVD or tv show just looked okay, but still the experience was so much fun b/c of the size. But now with such beautiful 1080p blurays and streaming, it's a whole new ballgame and the quality gap has narrowed. It's quite often when I'll watch a bluray now and just be amazed at how nice the image looks...the colors pop, there is a ton of detail, and the image is bright and beautiful.

If I had to pick between a 1080p projector and a 100+ inch screen, or a 50" plasma/LCD, I'd take the projector every single time. I would really hate to be without it.

ajzepp

« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2016, 11:58 pm »
I hope I feel the same way.  I never considered myself a videophile, but I certainly can appreciate a nice picture.  I've ALWAYS wanted a projector setup, and I'm beyond excited how close I am to having one. 

The room remodel is underway.  Waiting on some drywall work I want professionally done.  I'm now bogged down installing recessed lighting, but the projector is ordered.  I'm hoping to be done in 2 weeks.

I've never seen a BenQ image in person, but I know that when I've evaluated high quality screen shots over at AVS, the ones that always really popped were the BenQ images. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with that projector.

ebag4

« Reply #31 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:12 am »
After a series of Infocus projectors I bought a Benq W1070.  It has been trouble free which is nice after going through the Infocus units.  The picture is excellent and it looked great still when my first bulb went out......at 11k hours!! :o.

Yes, 11000 hours, I couldn't believe it went that long.  I had the spare bulb here waiting for over a year before it was needed.

Best,
Ed

ajzepp

« Reply #32 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:15 am »
After a series of Infocus projectors I bought a Benq W1070.  It has been trouble free which is nice after going through the Infocus units.  The picture is excellent and it looked great still when my first bulb went out......at 11k hours!! :o.

Yes, 11000 hours, I couldn't believe it went that long.  I had the spare bulb here waiting for over a year before it was needed.

Best,
Ed

What???   :o   Dude, that's living dangerously lol...I can't believe it didn't explode on ya.

TJHUB

« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:21 am »
I decided to not go with a BenQ.  After a lot of research, I decided to go with a Vivitek H1186-WT.  I hope it was a good decision.  We'll see.  The projector, mount, and HDMI cable will be here Thursday (Ordered Sunday, arriving Thursday.  Thanks Amazon Prime.)

I'm going to test the projector on a wall at first.  I will order the screen next week.  I'm hoping to be up and running by next week Sunday.

ajzepp

« Reply #34 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:39 am »
I decided to not go with a BenQ.  After a lot of research, I decided to go with a Vivitek H1186-WT.  I hope it was a good decision.  We'll see.  The projector, mount, and HDMI cable will be here Thursday (Ordered Sunday, arriving Thursday.  Thanks Amazon Prime.)

I'm going to test the projector on a wall at first.  I will order the screen next week.  I'm hoping to be up and running by next week Sunday.

I guess I don't know as much about projectors as I thought...I've never even heard of that brand...what was it that made the decision for you?

Phil A

« Reply #35 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:43 am »
I guess I don't know as much about projectors as I thought...I've never even heard of that brand...what was it that made the decision for you?

BenQ makes nice projectors.  I had a BenQ W5000 for about 8-9 years at my old house.  I gave it to someone last year as it was just sitting in my garage.  I did hook it up briefly in the bedroom which has a 92 inch screen that folds into the ceiling.  It still looked great (1080p) but the throw distance would not fill up the whole screen.  I decided to bite the bullet just over two years ago and bought the Epson 5030 for the main system and the Epson 8350 for the bedroom.  I'm fine with both of them.  Just got a 55 inch 4k TV today (Sony) that also does 3D for a spare system so I'm 4k ready and have a back-up for watching 3D.

TJHUB

« Reply #36 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:47 am »

I spent weeks investigating all of this.  I found Vivitek at both Projector Central and AVS Forums.  Vivitek has a 3 year warranty, all the necessary features, vertical lens shift, a better zoom, and competes very well with the sub $1,000 DLP based projectors.  Reviews are all very good, and owners seem very happy.  It seems a steal at $637.00. 

ajzepp

« Reply #37 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:48 am »
I spent weeks investigating all of this.  I found Vivitek at both Projector Central and AVS Forums.  Vivitek has a 3 year warranty, all the necessary features, vertical lens shift, a better zoom, and competes very well with the sub $1,000 DLP based projectors.  Reviews are all very good, and owners seem very happy.  It seems a steal at $637.00.

Very nice! Be sure to let us know how it works out...pretty awesome you can get all that function for under $1k

ajzepp

« Reply #38 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:59 am »
BenQ makes nice projectors.  I had a BenQ W5000 for about 8-9 years at my old house.  I gave it to someone last year as it was just sitting in my garage.  I did hook it up briefly in the bedroom which has a 92 inch screen that folds into the ceiling.  It still looked great (1080p) but the throw distance would not fill up the whole screen.  I decided to bite the bullet just over two years ago and bought the Epson 5030 for the main system and the Epson 8350 for the bedroom.  I'm fine with both of them.  Just got a 55 inch 4k TV today (Sony) that also does 3D for a spare system so I'm 4k ready and have a back-up for watching 3D.

I was super close to pulling the trigger on a BenQ back in 2011 when I bought my current Epson 3010, but a buddy of mine had such a great experience with Epson he talked me into it. How do you like the Sony? I've been thinking about upgrading the living room tv to something larger, and it seems like the 4k thing would be a good investment since Netflix is already offering titles with that resolution. Some of those curved Samsungs are calling to me a bit...lol

ebag4

« Reply #39 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:46 am »
What???   :o   Dude, that's living dangerously lol...I can't believe it didn't explode on ya.
Yes, I had always heard that they would explode, but this one simply wouldn't fire up one day.

Best,
Ed