BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

Tympani

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #360 on: 11 Jul 2015, 05:24 pm »
One of the features of PC-based ripping software like dBPoweramp is the ability to use "AccurateRip" and numerous other features to ensure error-free copies. Are there any such provisions on the BOT-1? Does a bad source disk simply get rejected, or re-read?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #361 on: 11 Jul 2015, 05:34 pm »
One of the features of PC-based ripping software like dBPoweramp is the ability to use "AccurateRip" and numerous other features to ensure error-free copies. Are there any such provisions on the BOT-1? Does a bad source disk simply get rejected, or re-read?

Hi - it gets re-read.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #362 on: 11 Jul 2015, 07:54 pm »
Suggestion for BOT-1: offer a better CD lookup service.

I've been playing around with Archiving CDs and I've run into many CDs that "look up" to the wrong album. Have you folks considered adding Gracenote support? I know Gracenote costs money, but you are selling a $1,300 drive and maybe only enable it for customers that purchase the BOT-1 to offset the costs to Bryston? Third-party drives continue work, but are restricted to using MusicBrainz or whatever.

Just a thought...

brystoned

« Reply #363 on: 12 Jul 2015, 04:18 pm »
chris

which model panasonic drive is used in the BOT-1 and how is slot in drive aligned with slot in dress panel to avoid scratching CDs' ?  :scratch:

ed

rmurray

« Reply #364 on: 12 Jul 2015, 04:34 pm »
  Like I said why not stick with a tray and avoid this possibility? :scratch:  Slot loading is a deal breaker for me, sorry.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #365 on: 13 Jul 2015, 05:24 pm »

AccurateRip simply calculates a unique value of the rip and compares how close that calculated value varies from existing submissions.  It doesn't do anything to correct errors, simply tells you how close it is to rip performed by other people.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #366 on: 13 Jul 2015, 05:31 pm »
chris

which model panasonic drive is used in the BOT-1 and how is slot in drive aligned with slot in dress panel to avoid scratching CDs' ?  :scratch:

ed

Hi Ed,

Its a panasonic Bluray Burner, we wanted to keep our software options as open as possible.  I'm not saying we will have blu-ray ripping and playback, but if we can write the software or find someone to write the software then the option is there.

The drive comes with a membrane (made of clothe) that supports the cd as it's inserted or removed from the drive.  The slot of the drive is lined up with dress panel, this took a few tries in prototyping to get just right.  Each drive is individually tested to ensure correct alignment and that cd's won't be scratched.  It is possible for a cd to be scratched when inserting, but requires the user to put significant down force on the disc, essentially the cd needs to be flexed enough to scrape against the metal dress panel.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #367 on: 13 Jul 2015, 05:33 pm »
Suggestion for BOT-1: offer a better CD lookup service.

I've been playing around with Archiving CDs and I've run into many CDs that "look up" to the wrong album. Have you folks considered adding Gracenote support? I know Gracenote costs money, but you are selling a $1,300 drive and maybe only enable it for customers that purchase the BOT-1 to offset the costs to Bryston? Third-party drives continue work, but are restricted to using MusicBrainz or whatever.

Just a thought...

Funny you should mention gracenote, we have been in talks with them quite recently.  We may use there service, but not right away, the problem is we sell such a small quantity that using there service we would need to adjust the price of the BOT and BDP to make up the difference in units shipped.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #368 on: 13 Jul 2015, 06:27 pm »
Hi Folks,

Chris put together a video of how to utilized the BOT-1  :thumb:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOT/BOT.html

brystoned

« Reply #369 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:37 am »
Hi Ed,

Its a panasonic Bluray Burner, we wanted to keep our software options as open as possible.  I'm not saying we will have blu-ray ripping and playback, but if we can write the software or find someone to write the software then the option is there.

The drive comes with a membrane (made of clothe) that supports the cd as it's inserted or removed from the drive.  The slot of the drive is lined up with dress panel, this took a few tries in prototyping to get just right.  Each drive is individually tested to ensure correct alignment and that cd's won't be scratched.  It is possible for a cd to be scratched when inserting, but requires the user to put significant down force on the disc, essentially the cd needs to be flexed enough to scrape against the metal dress panel.

Cheers,
Chris

thanks chris !

is the drive panasonic UJ-265 (same as drive in macbook laptop) ?

ed

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #370 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:48 am »
i didn't think apple ever included a bluray drive with any of there computers, just dvd burners

brystoned

« Reply #371 on: 14 Jul 2015, 03:00 am »
oops - missed the blu-ray feature - just curious if the drives were the same for compatibility with macbook ...  :duh:

ed

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #372 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:35 pm »
could be, the drive follows the optical slimline standard used in most laptops.  We wanted to avoid the same issue that killed off the BCD-1 caused by proprietary drives.

Don_S

« Reply #373 on: 14 Jul 2015, 04:34 pm »
James,

I tried the link and got this message:  "No video with supported format and MME type found"  :(

Is it an issue with my computer not having the appropriate software or is it on the other end? I think a video is a great idea and I would like to watch it.  Thanks,  Don

Hi Folks,

Chris put together a video of how to utilized the BOT-1  :thumb:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOT/BOT.html

srb

« Reply #374 on: 14 Jul 2015, 05:06 pm »
I tried the link and got this message:  "No video with supported format and MME type found"  :(

It appears to be a browser compatibility / browser settings issue.  I can view the video with Chrome, but I get that error in Firefox.  I'm also unable to view it in Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari, but with no specific error message.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #375 on: 14 Jul 2015, 05:25 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the feedback.  I have Firefox (where I received the error message) and IE.  If four major browsers do not work then I think the real problem is on the other end. Or maybe is is just the latest chapter in the great Google conspiracy to take over the world.  :dunno:

It appears to be a browser compatibility / browser settings issue.  I can view the video with Chrome, but I get that error in Firefox.  I'm also unable to view it in Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari, but with no specific error message.

Steve

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #376 on: 15 Jul 2015, 12:48 am »

Steve

Any browser the supports embedded h.264 video should play these video's that should be any modern version of Internet explorer, google chrome, apple safari, Firefox or opera.  It's been feasted on windows 7 using Internet explorer 11 and google chrome 26.  It's been tested on a Mac running Mac OS X 10.9 in safari.

Marius

« Reply #377 on: 20 Jul 2015, 05:24 pm »
oops: http://www.whathifi.com/news/ripping-cds-and-dvds-illegal-again?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews%20bulletins&utm_content=article_1_read_more&utm_source=20150720

A High Court ruling has quashed the changes in the law brought by the government last year, meaning it's no longer legal to make a copy of your own CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays.  :duh: :duh:

Hope this gets corrected....

Marius

brystoned

« Reply #378 on: 23 Jul 2015, 01:54 am »
chris

is there a plastic faceplate on the drive between it and the brushed aluminum dress panel or is the drive mounted directly to the back of the dress panel ?  :o

ed

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #379 on: 24 Jul 2015, 12:10 am »
chris

is there a plastic faceplate on the drive between it and the brushed aluminum dress panel or is the drive mounted directly to the back of the dress panel ?  :o

ed

It's a stock bluray drive that includes a plastic bezel with a felt or felt like lining to protects audio cd's as they are being inserted and ejected.  Unless you apply down force on the cd, it'll be fine.