Give up coffee, get “free” Bryston equipment

G E

I was looking through old posts and frequently read how
people are kept out of upgrades by the prices.

Did you know you can get Bryston stuff for “free”? 

All you have to do is give up something that costs you something but isn’t really a net gain.

For example , give up your daily dose of high end coffee and save US $1800 annually.

In 5-1/2 years that buys a nice pair of 28 mono blocks on the used market.  Or a new 4 cubed with change left over for records.

.... you are very welcome Mr. Tanner.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Give up coffee, get “free” Bryston equipment
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2020, 11:39 pm »
Give up coffee for stereo?   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure there are some very nice pieces in the Bryston family, but I'd listen to mono before I gave up coffee.  :thumb:

G E

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2020, 11:48 pm »
Give up coffee for stereo?   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure there are some very nice pieces in the Bryston family, but I'd listen to mono before I gave up coffee.  :thumb:

You can get creative!

Do you really need to get an expensive engagement ring when a gold band works.

Get a low end toyota instead of that German autobahn runner... save initial costs as well as speeding tickets, fees and maintenance.

Kids don’t need the best orthodontist. Just someone to get them lined up “pretty good”. Probably play hockey later anyway,’...

And work from home now you no longer need nice clothes to work and also save on water and lunch out costs.  No commuting costs either - sell the Bimmer

Also don’t forget to check the cash value of your life insurance policy. You will never see the benefit it so you may as well use it for something good.

I’m sure there are more options....

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2020, 11:57 pm »
I’d sooner give up showering.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2020, 12:44 am »
Hey!

Hmmm... so in this case "free" is not really free isn't it? Since you're giving up something in order to get something.  :scratch:

Anyway, I don't think I can give up coffee. This is one thing in my life that I considered a little luxury spending to treat myself. A good cup of coffee hot or cold makes me happy  8)

Buddy

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2020, 06:57 am »
During the war here in the nineties, my dad said "There will be coffee or nothing". Coffee (at least the Turkish type) is not just the finest drink on the face of this planet, it is deeply embedded in our culture. If someone comes to visit you, the pot will already be on the stove without anyone asking whether they want any coffee. Of course they do! So giving it up just ain't gonna happen!

If this isn't funny to you (as it is to me), I will say that I do agree with the 'giving up on something' for hi-fi. But as usual, what might be unimportant and easily lived without, it might be paramount to others-

Watch this funny cartoon, it makes me laugh every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZoXep3Ax70

and the follow-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpy9r_KXqc

Cheers,
Antun

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2020, 07:42 am »
Well, there is an alternative, however being on the Bryston circle I won't mention it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2020, 08:51 am »
I can get the best coffee beans for $10/20 per kg,    however a B100 was quoted more than $5 k.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2020, 09:31 am »
Yeah.... No... *reaches for coffee cup, as Miles smooth horn flows through his nice enough budget/DIY setup* I'm good... *slurp*

gbaby

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2020, 06:10 pm »
Give up coffee! Are you crazy? How am I going to S_____? :lol:

bummrush

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2020, 09:20 pm »
I've roasted, sold for 25 years

mcmusicman

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2020, 01:45 am »
Giving up coffee is simply too extreme.  I chose the easier softer way of acquiring an ex wife, that did the trick.

Jozsef

« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2020, 08:22 am »
Oh for heaven's sake, enough of the straw man arguments, people. The suggestion was to give up daily high end coffee from a fancy cafe, not coffee in its entirety. Having dispensed with that, I must confess to feeling similarly cheated by the hollow promise of free goodies since I already drink store brand instant coffee, as well as driving a vintage Camry. That's how I got my Bryston gear in the first place, but what to toss overboard to make the active T-Rex speakers possible? Now there's a problem to be reckoned with.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2020, 08:43 am »
I can get the best coffee beans for $10/20 per kg,    however a B100 was quoted more than $5 k.