Promitheus DAC problem...

PSB Guy

Promitheus DAC problem...
« on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:58 pm »
I got delivery of a Promitheus DAC on Monday of this week, and up until today it was working flawlessly. It had replaced a Devilsound DAC, and the improvement in sound quality was immediate and very noticable. There was just more "beef" to the sound, and I was loving it. Today, however, was a different story. All the sound coming through the DAC was horribly distorted, a sound not unlike a crappy AM radio station. I changed out the power cord, interconnects, and USB cable in that order to eliminate them as the source of the problem. I then switched back to my old Devilsound DAC, and it worked flawlessly. I have opened up the unit to see if there's anything amiss inside that can be seen, maybe a loose connection or blown capacitor, etc., but there doesn't seem to be. Anyone else had a similar experience with this DAC? I have contacted Nicholas by email about this, but since he's in Malaysia and I'm in Canada, I thought I'd try here first, in the hopes I could fix it myself. I'm no electronics expert, but I can muddle my way through...
Thanks for any help... :cry:

Meicheng

Re: Promitheus DAC problem...
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:14 am »
Perhaps this will serve as a good test case of Nicholas' customer service or lack thereof, after the sale....

Copperhead

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:33 am »
Considering he didn't answer my emails for five months after sending me a TVC which he had wired incorrectly,
he's already failed that test in my book.

ps, got it fixed by someone locally who knew what they're doing and gives a damn about their workmanship.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2010, 04:47 am »
PromitheusAudio ....

Last Active: 23 Dec 2009, 09:10 PM

romandoc

• http://romandoc.com/
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2010, 01:25 pm »
It should be made illegal for anyone to send money to this Nicholas guy.
I kept saying here that Promitheus products are grossly overpriced when aftersale service and recourse are factored in.
Buy from US made in US, people! I also am looking for someone here, in the US, to fix a S2,700 preamp Nicholas made for me with some odd wiring problems. Not recommended!

PSB Guy

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2010, 02:38 pm »
Nicholas did answer my email on April 9th, with a question he had regarding the DAC, whether the problem was occuring with the SPDIF output as well. I replied later the same day that yes it was, I have yet to hear back or get further instructions...so I guess we shall see. Luckily I have another DAC at my disposal, and the Promitheus wasn't a very expensive piece of gear. I take some responsibility in this, I do read these forums regularly and I should have taken to heart what I was reading. Sometimes you leap before you look, and I did in this instance. :nono: Buyer beware is the lesson, I guess...

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2010, 05:03 pm »
For what it's worth, and to his credit, Nicholas has kept in pretty much constant email contact with me for the past week, asking me to do certain troubleshooting steps to try and figure out what exactly the problem might be. I have tried pretty much everything now except leaving the unit powered down for a few days, in the hope that a turn on spike may have left some static in the reciever chips, and that it will disappate - hopefully not fried something...