adding extra capacitance to my monos

NJBOB

adding extra capacitance to my monos
« on: 29 Apr 2007, 03:00 pm »
i was wondering if anyone added extra capacitance on their own, without sending it back. mine have the 120 on each amp and i'm contemplating adding the extra 60. also do i realy need it. can anyone tell me from experience.

i'm driving magnepan mg3a's

thanks
bob

bunky

Re: adding extra capacitance to my monos
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2007, 03:40 pm »
i was wondering if anyone added extra capacitance on their own, without sending it back. mine have the 120 on each amp and i'm contemplating adding the extra 60. also do i realy need it. can anyone tell me from experience.

thanks
bob

If you DIY the Capacitors on your monos it would no doubt void the warranty  :nono:

Lkdog

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2007, 10:11 pm »
Send them to Klaus. He will work with you on a reasonable deal.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2007, 10:43 pm »
Don't do it.  Other than the necessary costs of shipping, Klaus gives you a raging good deal on labor for mods, like I've never experienced in the hobby.  It will come back to you even BETTER than you asked for.  Tom

BRILEY804

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2007, 12:54 am »
what is the old saying :   Pay a little now or a lot later ?

lazydays

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2007, 10:34 pm »

thanks
bob

I came into a pair of monos that had the 120K caps in them a few years back. Had Klaus rebuild them with the 360K Caps plus about everything else he could do to them.
Best way to discribe them is impressive, very impressive.
gary

Wolfman

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:42 pm »
Hmmmm,perhaps the first "Full Garys"? I was tryng to remember which A.C. member had the first ones for another thread. Just out of curiousity Gary,is that 360,000 total,or per amp?
Peace.

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2007, 05:49 am »
Hmmmm,perhaps the first "Full Garys"? I was tryng to remember which A.C. member had the first ones for another thread. Just out of curiousity Gary,is that 360,000 total,or per amp?
Peace.

even though my name is Gary, and the two amps both rated for 360K Caps each, they are not the Gary models. I was assured of this several times by Klaus himself. BUT, my amps do carry the name Gary on the tags in back <g>.
    To the best of my knowledge there was only one "Gary" built, and thus there would be at best three people that have really had the chance to set down and do some extensive listening to them. Personally I'd love to hear them, but Klaus says he ain't gonna make any more of them as it was just too much of a headache. So will the real Gary stand up and be counted!
gary

dangerbird

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2007, 10:52 am »
OK, time for the real "Gary" to stand up, and give up the story,please,,I vaguely remember the bits and pieces.  aa