Unifield 3

rpeluso

Unifield 3
« on: 22 Dec 2015, 10:47 pm »
I am interested in these loudspeakers, but am reluctant to purchase without an audition, no dealers close to me.  Anyone near Philadelphia with them willing to allow an audition???

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Re: Unifield 3
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2015, 02:37 am »
Hello Mr Peluso,

We have been negotiating with a large dealer in Philadelphia to carry our line.  We will know in a week or two if the proposal works for us and the dealer.  That way, you will be able to hear at least one of our models.  As our owners who have tried several of our different models can testify, our speakers all have a very similar character.  If you like one model but want a different type of cosmetic or size, you will have a very good idea of our "house" sound.

Our "house" sound is not a coloration, it consists of everything an audiophile is seeking: a very wide frequency range without any one range "sticking out,"  low distortion that enables an open window to reproduce complex timbral structures that most speakers "smear" and most of all, a wide dispersion that enables the system to image very well from just about any place in the room. Our goal for all of our models is quite simple: we seek realism and the feeling that you are at a live performance. Of course, everyone makes that claim, including Bose, so I apologize in advance for using overwrought language - however, the reviewers all seem to be in agreement.

The UniField 3 design is based on using a single full-range driver, then adding sub-bass and super-treble to the full range unit.  This enables a sonically invisible crossover that sounds similar to a full range electrostatic but with a high dynamic range and high volume level capacity. We pioneered our noise-reducing Triple Wall cabinet in the Uni 3 model and the results were so outstanding that we use this laminated wall design in every model we fabricate.  It has less noise transmission than aluminum and is less expensive to implement, enabling us to spend more monet where it counts -  crossover parts, wiring and drivers.

The UniField Three Mk II (often abbreviated to "Uni 3 Mk II") is an ear opener for most first time VSA customers, as the Uni 3 Mk II are quite small but have a huge sound field and very powerful bass. Clarity, air, and smoothness of the ribbon super tweeter is remarkable, sounding great with both tube or solid state amplifiers.   In his comparison review of our Uni 3 to the Magico M5 ($89,000) in the December 9, 2009 issue of The Absolute Sound, Jonathan Valin stated that the Uni 3  (Mk I version) had a "beautiful sound" with first-rate image focus and sound staging, along with midrange that was "as good as it gets."  He also states that "the deep bass power was astonishing," providing you didn't play Metallica in a huge room at concert levels (my joke).
Although he noted a couple of small things to pick at, compared to the Magico at 5X the money, these slight issues were addressed in the Mk II version released a year later. Subsequent reviews in Germany and Singapore were " over the top" in praise, with no short- comings noted. Asian audiophiles are extremely picky and have huge hi-fi budgets. However, most own small to medium sized rooms. This might be why 90% of our UniField sales are sold overseas. 

By the way, you didn't mention whether you're interested in buying a factory sealed unit from one of our dealers or a preowned pair.  If you're looking at a preowned Mk I version, there is an official factory upgrade available which also extends the warranty.  It is reasonably priced, as it costs only the difference between the Mk I and Mk II models.  However, dents and scratches on a used pair are very difficult to refinish properly, making any physical repairs quite expensive.  If it was going to be my final speaker purchase, I would invest in a brand new pair.

Our entire factory is closed for the holiday vacation, but we will be back on January 4th.  Call Leif, our National Sales Manager, to check on the Philly dealer, at (951) 682-0706. 

Thanks for your inquiry and Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2015, 08:02 pm by Albert Von Schweikert »

rpeluso

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2015, 01:24 am »
Thank you Mr. VS!  However, no matter, I would be quite reluctant to purchase the Unifield 3 speakers (or any others) based on hearing a different model from you, $20,000 is a significant outlay on risk, at least for me. 

I am interested in new, not used, and for a second system I am hoping to build, and its the print on these, along with the design, that makes me eager to take a listen.  Small,  for me in the new space, is important, and your single driver design, augments on the bottom and top, is a draw.  But, not at that outlay without at least an audition first.  I am sure you understand.  Thank you again for your thoughtful reply! And I have spoken with Leif, seems quite the gentleman.

Regards,

Richard

rpeluso

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2016, 12:05 am »
Wondering about the status of the dealer in the Philadelphia area.

gammajo

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2016, 02:55 am »
Rpeluso. I have been a very happy owner of the VR 4SR (which I heard first at a dealers, and now the VR55 Aktives which are probably my speaker for life. I too feel the need for an audition before purchase with things this expensive. I could not find anyone close by so I flew to the factory in CALF to audition the 55's. It took me about 30 minutes to know I just had to have the speaker. They let me play my music and there was no pressure what so ever, yet they were happy to answer any question and to shift from tubes to solid state amps etc. VSA picked me up at LAX and drove me back as well. To me it was worth the expense of the ticket and plus I got to meet the design team including Albert and Leif and see their facilities which added to the pleasure of the experience. You might even get them to give you the price of your ticker if you purchase (I think they had an offer like that several years ago). Perhaps the factory location would have a pair of Unifields for you to audition when they manufacture a pair before they are sent to their new owner?

Also, keep asking (perhaps in a new post) for someone with Uni 3 within driving distance which for you would cover a good but of the East Coast to allow an audition in their home. VSA owners tend to be a friendly bunch and love to proudly show off their systems.
Just ideas - Hope this helps