Need Help with VR2s

brianvoelz

Need Help with VR2s
« on: 22 Dec 2015, 07:58 pm »
Just received a great pair of VR2s off the used market.  In one of the speakers I noticed the midrange wasn't playing, suspect a connection at the crossover made have wiggled loose during transit.  The speaker in question itself plays fine when connected directly to the signal so it has to be the leads back to the crossover or the crossover itself.  The bass driver and both tweeters play fine.  Hoping there might be someone on this forum that might be able to walk me though getting at the crossover to check my theory without making the situation worse lol.  Noticed there were some experienced modders of these speakers on this board hoping they could chime in.

richidoo

Re: Need Help with VR2s
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2015, 12:40 am »
Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to AudioCircle, Brian!

Inductors are relatively heavy and can work loose from shock or vibration during shipping, causing a disconnect or worse. Access the crossovers and inspect them carefully for signs of damage. It is often quite obvious. Wiggle the part leads by hand to ensure they are solidly connected. Post some pics if you need detailed help.  Don't use 60/40 solder for repair, use 63/37 eutectic.
Rich

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2015, 01:37 am »
Hi Brian some macro shots of the XO junctions might help us get a better idea. If I recall the XOs on VR-2s are potted.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2015, 02:06 am »
The crossover is at the bottom of the cabinet, you should be able to reach it by taking off the rear terminal plate, if that doesn't work then you will need to send in a very small precocious child through the speaker cut out. You will need a torx bit set too, I got mine at Ace Hardware.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2015, 07:16 pm »
Please do not send small children through our speaker cutout holes :duh: