Hobbs NX-Studio Build

Early B.

Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #340 on: 4 Apr 2023, 05:14 am »
I ordered myself some 0.1uF Duelund JDM copper foil caps to replace the 0.01uF silver JDM bypass. Not exactly apples to apples, but more in line with what I'm used to, especially since I want more of what copper has to offer.
Mostly hoping that it will soften the edges compared to the silver bypass caps.

Hmmm... I don't have NX Studios, but tonight I installed some Duelund 0.022uF CAST-PIO-Cu Pure Copper Foil capacitors on top of Jantzen Superior Z-caps in the tweeter circuit and a Duelund 0.1uF Hybrid Copper/Silver Foil capacitor on the midrange cap. Should be interesting to hear what happens. I originally ordered a pair of 0.01uF Dueland JDM copper foil caps for the midrange, but decided on the hybrids instead.

mkrawcz

« Reply #341 on: 4 Apr 2023, 10:22 am »
I removed the JDM silvers from the vcaps on my NX Otica tweeters and tried Miflex coppers over the weekend and it removed a slight glare that was there. Sounds nice, there is a little loss of detail so maybe the Duelund coppers will resolve that.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #342 on: 4 Apr 2023, 05:04 pm »
I want to try out the Jantzen Superior Z-caps. The larger of the two caps needed, the value available is 2uF bigger. Is thst ok? like 25uF vs 27uF

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #343 on: 4 Apr 2023, 05:20 pm »
I want to try out the Jantzen Superior Z-caps. The larger of the two caps needed, the value available is 2uF bigger. Is thst ok? like 25uF vs 27uF
You're getting close to the 10% tolerance, but it should be fine.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #344 on: 13 May 2023, 03:21 pm »
Finally getting around to updating the V-cap crossovers
I snipped off the Duelund silver bypass caps, and made some copper alligator clips to attach the Duelund copper bypass caps.
Danny also wants me to do some comparisons between the current Gen 3 Sonicaps and our new budget JB bypass caps, so I'll see what I can do to burn all 3 in at the same time.
Then after 200hrs start doing some comparisons.

I know the Duelunds will need about 400 hours but they aren't a part of the above comparison, but once they're burned in, ill compare the copper bypass directly with the silver bypass and post my own feedback here, as well.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #345 on: 16 May 2023, 04:56 pm »
Just wanted to share this picture of all 3 caps clipped together in the network. currenly have about 4 days on them, should be at 200 hrs by Monday

BrandonB

« Reply #346 on: 20 Jun 2023, 01:57 pm »
Just wanted to share this picture of all 3 caps clipped together in the network. currenly have about 4 days on them, should be at 200 hrs by Monday

Hey Hobbs I am curious how the new caps are coming along?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #347 on: 20 Jun 2023, 06:14 pm »
I haven't had the opportunity to compare the Copper and Silver Duelund caps yet, life's been busy and I haven't had the time to finish burning them in, they're about 300ish hours at this point and at 200-250 hours they definitely weren't burned in yet, the soundstage sounded flat as cardboard when I tested them alone, excellent width though.

But I did do some initial impressions on the JB vs the Gen 3 Sonicap bypasses.
Overall they're very close, only about 5-10% difference between them, the JB are a little more detailed/focused, while the Gen 3 Sonicaps were a touch smoother and provide a little wider soundstage.
Tonally speaking they're largely identical, just changing thing at the edges.

RonP

« Reply #348 on: 26 Aug 2023, 12:08 pm »
Checking in for updates - hopefully your parts have not melted in all that Texas heat  :D

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #349 on: 26 Aug 2023, 08:02 pm »
Oh right, I for got all about the update for the bypass testing.

All of these results are relative to one another, starting with the cheapest.

JB JPX: Adds additional detail/clarity, creating a more focused/precise soundstage, without changing the overall tone.

Gen II Sonicap: Surprisingly similar to the JB. Making the JBs an excellent alternative at a similar price, considering these are not longer available.

Gen 3 Sonicap: Compared to the JB & Gen II, it's still quite similar overall, though just a little less detailed, but offers a wider soundstage than either the JB or Gen II cap.

Duelund 0.1uF Copper: Better detail, much like the JB & Gen II, but with a much more open soundstage (both width and depth) than either previous cap, while still adding that additional richness/warmth from the copper. It really needs 400-500 hours of burn-in before the soundstage depth, finally develops.

Duelund 0.01uF Silver: Very similar to the Duelund copper, but more detail that can be a little edgy or grainy sounding by comparison, if not a bit "artificial", IMO. (though likely dependent on the main cap it's bypassing)
Soundstage is a little narrower than the copper in my system, but is identical in regards to depth.

With the JB and Gen 3 Sonicaps, they're very similar overall, and are mostly playing with differences at the edges, and really depends on where you want the improvements.

The Duelund' caps are impressive, especially once you get past the roughly 3-4 weeks of non-stop burn-in...
My preference it definitely for the Copper over the Silver, as the copper bypass caps just sounds more rich and natural, but if paired with a "dark" sounding cap, the Silver may be the better option in such a case.

I'd eventually like to compare the Duelund "CAST PIO" copper as well as the tinned-copper caps, and maybe throw in the Miflex KPCU and KFPM caps also, but that will likely be for sometime in the future when funds/time allows.

Danny did the same tests with his NX-Tremes in his system a few weeks ago, bypassing the main Miflex cap in the tweeter circuit and came to the pretty much same conclusions as I did.

BrandonB

« Reply #350 on: 27 Aug 2023, 12:09 am »
Oh right, I for got all about the update for the bypass testing.

All of these results are relative to one another, starting with the cheapest.

JB JPX: Adds additional detail/clarity, creating a more focused/precise soundstage, without changing the overall tone.

Gen II Sonicap: Surprisingly similar to the JB. Making the JBs an excellent alternative at a similar price, considering these are not longer available.

Gen 3 Sonicap: Compared to the JB & Gen II, it's still quite similar overall, though just a little less detailed, but offers a wider soundstage than either the JB or Gen II cap.

Duelund 0.1uF Copper: Better detail, much like the JB & Gen II, but with a much more open soundstage (both width and depth) than either previous cap, while still adding that additional richness/warmth from the copper. It really needs 400-500 hours of burn-in before the soundstage depth, finally develops.

Duelund 0.01uF Silver: Very similar to the Duelund copper, but more detail that can be a little edgy or grainy sounding by comparison, if not a bit "artificial", IMO. (though likely dependent on the main cap it's bypassing)
Soundstage is a little narrower than the copper in my system, but is identical in regards to depth.

With the JB and Gen 3 Sonicaps, they're very similar overall, and are mostly playing with differences at the edges, and really depends on where you want the improvements.

The Duelund' caps are impressive, especially once you get past the roughly 3-4 weeks of non-stop burn-in...
My preference it definitely for the Copper over the Silver, as the copper bypass caps just sounds more rich and natural, but if paired with a "dark" sounding cap, the Silver may be the better option in such a case.

I'd eventually like to compare the Duelund "CAST PIO" copper as well as the tinned-copper caps, and maybe throw in the Miflex KPCU and KFPM caps also, but that will likely be for sometime in the future when funds/time allows.

Danny did the same tests with his NX-Tremes in his system a few weeks ago, bypassing the main Miflex cap in the tweeter circuit and came to the pretty much same conclusions as I did.

Just to clarify you are bypassing Sonicaps and Danny was bypassing Miflex caps and they sounded very similar?   Do you see GR Research selling Duelund  caps in the near future?
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2023, 09:23 pm by BrandonB »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #351 on: 28 Aug 2023, 03:46 pm »
No, I was bypassing a V-Cap ODAM in the tweeter circuit using the variety of caps listed.
In Danny's case, it was the Miflex Copper cap in his NX-Tremes, being bypassed by those same bypass caps.
So despite the different caps being used, the effects of each bypass cap were very similar across both systems.

Danny Richie

« Reply #352 on: 28 Aug 2023, 03:50 pm »
Just to clarify you are bypassing Sonicaps and Danny was bypassing Miflex caps and they sounded very similar?   Do you see GR Research selling Duelund  caps in the near future?

I don't see us stocking or selling the Dueland products anytime soon. They are pretty pricey too.

I was using them across a Miflex Copper cap, so the differences my have been lessoned with my setup. Differences in that application are more subtle.

My biggest take away was just how good the little JB cap sounded, and it was not pricey at all.

BrandonB

« Reply #353 on: 28 Aug 2023, 06:17 pm »
I don't see us stocking or selling the Dueland products anytime soon. They are pretty pricey too.

I was using them across a Miflex Copper cap, so the differences my have been lessoned with my setup. Differences in that application are more subtle.

My biggest take away was just how good the little JB cap sounded, and it was not pricey at all.
Danny if you bypass a cap with the same type cap would it still sound better because it is able to discharge quicker.  For Example a larger Miflex cap being bypassed by a small Miflex cap?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #354 on: 28 Aug 2023, 07:11 pm »
Danny if you bypass a cap with the same type cap would it still sound better because it is able to discharge quicker.  For Example a larger Miflex cap being bypassed by a small Miflex cap?

Yes.  I do this in my setup.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #355 on: 28 Aug 2023, 08:07 pm »
Yes.  I do this in my setup.

I did the same with my original Miflex based crossover.

Danny Richie

« Reply #356 on: 29 Aug 2023, 02:43 pm »

Yes.

Infidel

« Reply #357 on: 7 Sep 2023, 02:51 am »

That was the whole idea behind the RTX Multicap, a fantastic cap for low heat applications when it arrived on the scene. Styrene easily melts, so user be ware. There have been better caps produced since, but dielectric wise, only Teflon is theoretically better than styrene as far a I am aware. Anyway, using a bypass, or a large number of smaller caps, as in multitasking, is a time honored practice.

zlib

« Reply #358 on: 20 Sep 2023, 07:30 am »
No, I was bypassing a V-Cap ODAM in the tweeter circuit using the variety of caps listed.
In Danny's case, it was the Miflex Copper cap in his NX-Tremes, being bypassed by those same bypass caps.
So despite the different caps being used, the effects of each bypass cap were very similar across both systems.
If you had standard crossover with all upgrades from gr-research.com what would you change in it, considering your experience with all those fancy components? Maybe just replace resistors, or add a bypass capacitor? Or maybe you would just leave it as is and build another one from ground?

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #359 on: 5 Mar 2024, 12:47 am »
I've been traveling down this same capacitor rabbit whole. Where is the sweet spot for the relatively inexpensive capacitors and the higher end bypass caps? I know Danny likes the Sonicaps bypassed by the Miflex caps, but is there an even better combination in a similar price point?