ava dva 225 x4

drpalomo

ava dva 225 x4
« on: 26 May 2021, 11:33 am »
Hello
I just acquired 4 AVA dva 225 amps to drive custom 2 way speakers with active mini dsp crossovers driving each amp for each driver. Looking forward to posting impressions.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: ava dva 225 x4
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2021, 11:36 pm »
Welcome to AC.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2021, 12:23 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  drpalomo   :thumb:   That's a lot of juice from Frank, keep us posted.   8)

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2021, 02:47 am »
Welcome!

drpalomo

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2021, 07:42 am »
Thanks for accepting me.
I have been on a mission to bi amp, which lead to a custom set of speakers, whereby all drivers are driven by a mono amps after active crossovers from the pre amp. More on that later. We auditioned the amps as below.

the dva m225 where inserted into my reference system
front end
1. VIP hw IV highly modded with 12 inch VIP arm and a sumiko starling cartridge into a AR PH2 with balanced connection via silver wire. This is connected via balanced wires into Mark Levison 380 preamp
2. Mac Mini into a Weiss int 202 into a AVA hybrid dac into a transformer based phase splitter into the mark Levinson 380

Power
Audio Research VT 100  X2 Bi amped balanced connection

Speakers
Aerial 9 Bi amp capable.... 4 7 inch woofers crossed at 220  one set of binding post. midrange and tweeter second set of binding post.

room 25 x 18 x 14

so the contrast is between the VT 100 Mk IV and the AVA m225 amp.

Clearly the base of the AVA was better in every way as in speed, control, tone etc. The mid and highs were difficult to sort. I would describe the AVA as a more precise sound stage which extended beyond the speakers laterally, vertically and deeply. The VT 100 provide very articulate mid and highs and also excellent imaging.

So my friend, who is my aural memory, auditioned the AVA with me. He brought reference female and male voice, orchestra, jazz, piano and field recordings of extreme volume changes. The AVA did not blink. He loved the amps. He plays baby Apogees driven by tubes.

Remarkable amps

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2021, 04:38 pm »
DrP.  Your findings do not surprise me as they are pretty much what I heard when I reviewed  the 225's.  They are great amps.