Bought some NOS Western Electric cable, then ordered Omega & Decware...

Flinx99

I would send the seller an email and include the link for the wire that I bought asking him that question. I can really only speak for the wire that I bought. The seller had listed it as the "best" choice for speaker wire but it seems to be sold out now.

You could also check in at Jeff Days blog page and pose that question. The WE wire experts are in da house there :-)

Thanks.

ju-sa

Hi All,

I have some plans to update my speaker cables between Omega Super 6 XRS speakers and Red Wine Audio Sig. 16 integrated amp. WE is one strong candidate for the job. The desired lenght would be around 2 - 2,5 metres (ca. 6-8 ft). Currently I have Van Damme UP-LCOFC speaker cable, don't recall the diameter.

I have found several different WE cables from eBay, e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric16ga-SOLID-wire-PAIR-pvc-black-red-black-/351194049791?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c4cbecff; http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-ft-coil-Western-Electric-16ga-solid-cloth-silk-ENAMEL-/350347458913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519255f961;

Since there appears to be experts and opinions concerning the WE cables, what type of WE cable would you recommend? Due to logistic issues (I live in Finland ...) preaudit of cables is not possible.

Thanks in advance,
Jukka

Nick77

Im not certain its best but I would really consider the stranded vs solid wire.

doggie

Im not certain its best but I would really consider the stranded vs solid wire.

Yes. The 25 conductor stranded is what Jeff Day was touting and what I bought.

BTW. I just got back an email response from the EBAY seller. He said that he would be relisting the same wire I bought within the hour. It is Wednesday July 8th @ 8:30am EDT(East coast US)

He sells as "tajacobs".

Good luck!

ju-sa

Yes. The 25 conductor stranded is what Jeff Day was touting and what I bought.

BTW. I just got back an email response from the EBAY seller. He said that he would be relisting the same wire I bought within the hour. It is Wednesday July 8th @ 8:30am EDT(East coast US)

He sells as "tajacobs".

Good luck!

Hi Doggie,

Is this the one you are referring to (25 stranded): http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-ft-Western-Electric-22g-cloth-STRANDED-/350721091872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a89b2920

Br, Jukka

ju-sa

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
It is not exactly the same.  It may be constructed the same, but this is an example of what Jeff Day described:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231567353236

And that auction is for 23 ft of single wire.  That will only give you a pair of less than 4 ft, sorry, 6 ft speaker cables.

......Peter
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2015, 04:28 pm by pstrisik »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
You're really better off using multiple runs of smaller solid-core wire, stranded wire always introduces some grain.

The WE wire is definitely a good value and sounds nice, but it does have it's own personality. Because of that it doesn't last too long in many people's systems. For sure give it a try though, experimentation is fun. Also, I would not use WE wire for IC cables, it's far too colored for that imo. Speaker and power cables are it's best use.  UPOCC wire is more neutral and resolving, although more $...  but you are much more likely to want to keep the cable long-term vs a cable made from WE wire.

bacobits1

I made up the Belden 8402 with the Switchcraft golds and they are very nice. Giving just enough warmth to not be edgy at all and great tone and depth as stated. They are real nice, 2 pairs of 3 ft for $60!!
As always price means nothing. Listening in your system does.

I have also purchased 32ft. of the Western Electric speaker cables. They should be here Friday.
These have the exact description and markings of the ones described in the Jeff Day postings.
It looks like this all may be selling out from that supplier.

I do not agree with the solid vs stranded wires on speaker cables. Measurements can go only so far the rest is listening, period.
I despise paying large sums of $$ of wires. Mogami 2534 and 2549 as interconnects are surprisingly very good. Make your own, learn. USB can be a different can of worms. a bit of skill and patience needed for those assemblies. Not many places sell the mediocre terminations and they are pretty much the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/per-ft-Western-Electric-AIW-16g-cloth-STRANDED-BLACK-/351445468022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d3c84376&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Of course we all know cables don't matter..................

ju-sa

I sent a message to the seller "tajacobs", let's see his reply.

Br, Jukka

bacobits1

« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2015, 10:58 pm by bacobits1 »

Flinx99

I made up the Belden 8402 with the Switchcraft golds and they are very nice. Giving just enough warmth to not be edgy at all and great tone and depth as stated. They are real nice, 2 pairs of 3 ft for $60!!
As always price means nothing. Listening in your system does.

I have also purchased 32ft. of the Western Electric speaker cables. They should be here Friday.
These have the exact description and markings of the ones described in the Jeff Day postings.
It looks like this all may be selling out from that supplier.

I do not agree with the solid vs stranded wires on speaker cables. Measurements can go only so far the rest is listening, period.
I despise paying large sums of $$ of wires. Mogami 2534 and 2549 as interconnects are surprisingly very good. Make your own, learn. USB can be a different can of worms. a bit of skill and patience needed for those assemblies. Not many places sell the mediocre terminations and they are pretty much the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/per-ft-Western-Electric-AIW-16g-cloth-STRANDED-BLACK-/351445468022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d3c84376&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Of course we all know cables don't matter..................

I just ordered 20 ft of the same speaker wire.  I was the same stuff that I posted a question about a few days ago.  It's interesting to note that I think the price has gone up $.10 ft since I posted.  I am pretty sure it was $1.39/ft and now it is $1.49/ft.  FYI.

doggie

That may be the best 10 cents you will ever spend :-)

bacobits1

« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2015, 10:56 pm by bacobits1 »

Flinx99

I noticed too that it has gone up $.10
I paid $1.39/ft for it.
I may buy more.

I think it's your fault.  "I want my $2".  Paper Boy from the movie Better Off Dead.  I thought the reference might end up being too obscure and just sound rude.  :  )
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2015, 03:12 pm by Flinx99 »

pstrisik

Are you sure it is stranded and tinned wire?  He doesn't indicate that in the listing.

.....Peter

bacobits1

« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2015, 10:56 pm by bacobits1 »

pstrisik

Peter, please, it has the exact same numbers as "Jeff's Place" indicated and I made it up I should know. :thumb:
Little short on description over there.

16GA, 25 strands, tinned. I counted them.

????

In any case, it sounds like you took offense to my post.  I didn't mean any.

rajacat

• Washington State
Peter, please, it has the exact same numbers as "Jeff's Place" indicated and I made it up I should know. :thumb:
Little short on description over there.

16GA, 25 strands, tinned. I counted them.
I'd rather have 100% copper than have tinned wire. If it was silver coated then that would be OK.