Follow Up Question, and Anyone Using Decware Amps with Omega's/Hoyt-Bedfords?

Slapshot

Hi slaps hot...when I had my Mini Torii I preferred no preamp in the way. I tried a few , even had a zstage (Decware) in front but preferred just the amp. As I mentioned ...I wish I still had it.

That comment echoes Canada Rob's earlier. My problem would be that I have three sources and also that the amplifier would sit across the room for my seating position. My current preamp sits next to me and is easily reachable. I don't believe that even the Decware integrated amplifier versions offer a remote.

JC

sugbob21

:scratch: I don't think any Decware amp has a remote, but they do offer a switchbox which would solve the 3 input problem. I have one that I am currently using with the Millenia amp. That's why I was asking Dave113 for a preamp recommendation. I would rather have a tube preamp, I also have 3 inputs.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
sugbob, I'm not completely familiar with all the options, but Dodd has a tube buffer with 3 inputs:

http://www.doddaudio.com/products.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Not sure why the "complexity" of Decware's biggest amp should scare anyone. They do come with a lifetime guarantee.
FWIW I've owned several Decware amps that have been wonderful performers, at prices that are comparable
with many offerings.
It's true the lower powered models must be very carefully matched with the rest of the chain. This of course applies to most amps of a similar type, though.
Happy Hunting!
Don

What "scares" me is the bad luck I've had with Decware tube amps during at home trial (to which "extra" tubes just looks like something else to go wrong), cost of replacement tubes, the myriad of combinations of "right" sound possible from the temptation of rolling, and constant tube aging/matching worries.  I just want to enjoy the music.  The performance and price of the original amps is what kept me close to the flame for years.  The lack of power (and the drawbacks of high efficiency speakers) is what drew me away.  If the HB had been available back then I might have drank the Koolaid.

doorman

SV 83's & EL 34 are some of the most affordable tubes going.
Can you say more about the "bad luck" you've experienced?
Remembering of course that "tube rolling nervosa" isn't confined to Steve's products!
There's no doubt solid state can sound VERY good, but I do think Decware offers some good stuff, though sharing some of the weaknesses of tubes in general.
The guarantee & return policy are pretty good too.
Not trying to  come off as a fan-boy for Decware, I have a couple of amps I value equally.
Best
Don

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Hi slapshot...when I had my Mini Torii I preferred no preamp in the way. I tried a few, even had a zstage (Decware) in front but preferred just the amp. As I mentioned ...I wish I still had it.

The Mini Torii only needs 1 volt input for full output, the rest of the line is 2 volts or higher, can be a big difference.
When I had an SE84 paired with a CD player I needed a preamp in between to get full output (and better sound IMO) with many CDs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
SV 83's & EL 34 are some of the most affordable tubes going.
Can you say more about the "bad luck" you've experienced?
Remembering of course that "tube rolling nervosa" isn't confined to Steve's products!
There's no doubt solid state can sound VERY good, but I do think Decware offers some good stuff, though sharing some of the weaknesses of tubes in general.
The guarantee & return policy are pretty good too.
Not trying to  come off as a fan-boy for Decware, I have a couple of amps I value equally.
Best
Don

I agree 100% with you, but I'm well down a different path (trying to retire with kids in college).

It was about 10 years ago, Ziggy had Deckert ship his I-34(?) 12 wpc integrated to me after "repairs" but it had significant intermittent hums/crackling.  Rolling did no good.  Hurdy-Gurdy Dave and Darryl Hawthorne were there and couldn't figure it out either, so it went back to Deckert.  I really, really liked the sound, very liquid/detailed with great body (when it worked).  That 12 wpc didn't play super loud (90 dB/w/m speakers) but the bass was super stiff!  Darryl's 6 wpc didn't cut it with my speakers (too little power - sounded anemic).  Always liked the cheap tubes, solid build, super simple design, American roots, and low price of admission of the basic Zen amps.  But have always been a "speaker guy" and stayed committed to my "mighty" Fostex F-200 drivers in MLTL cabinets. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
This amp is incredible with the latest Super 3XRS (which is the only speaker I have heard it on).  It is called "The Artist", and uses 6L6, 6N3C-E (6L6), 6550, KT88, KT77, KT66, EL34, 6CA7, and 5881 without re-biasing.  The 6L6 in single tube per output triode mode is one of Louis' favourite tubes.  I have heard it with 6N3C-E, 6550, and EL34, and what a difference each tube change makes.  All good though.  5 - 8w/ch.

« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 04:51 pm by Canada Rob »

beowulf

The Mini Torii only needs 1 volt input for full output, the rest of the line is 2 volts or higher, can be a big difference.
When I had an SE84 paired with a CD player I needed a preamp in between to get full output (and better sound IMO) with many CDs.

I never thought about this before ... (and sorry if this is a dumb question), but since the Mini Torii only needs 1 volt input, is it able to drive a Turntable?

beowulf

This amp is incredible with the latest Super 3XRS (which is the only speaker I have heard it on).  It is called "The Artist",<snip>

That's a beauty ... who makes it?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
It is a collaboration between Audio Boutique and Ideal Innovations, both in Canada.  The amp is made in Canada with point to point wiring and uses North American iron throughout.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 04:52 pm by Canada Rob »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I built a similar amp... try the new Gold Lion KT77 (~EL34), they are my favorite tube so far.   :thumb:

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Thanks for that DaveC113.

Louis O

Hi Rob,

The amp looks great and really like the ability to use so many different tubes. This is very versatile and can't wait to hear it.

I agree with Dave and try the KT-77's.

Thanks,
Louis

Ultralight

Rob, old post. can you comment on the strengths/weakness between your Zen vs Glow One?

Thanks!
UL

Hello Slapshot,
I am not sure when I advised you of the Decware/Hoyt combo, but both the Hoyt-Bedford line and the Omega 4.5" driver line have seen driver changes, changing the game somewhat.  The new RS5 driver in the 4.5" series (known as the Super 3 series) are a dramatic improvement over the already excellent hemp cones they replace.  The new driver is also more efficient, making 2 watts no longer borderline.  The Super 3XRS compact floor tower is proving to be an unbelievably good speaker on my 2w Decware Super Zen with V-Caps and stepped attenuator, 5w Glow Amp One v1.3, and the 20w Ideal Innovations Elite 80.  These speakers image like few speakers I have heard with a huge 3D soundstage, have incredible inner detail, are super fast, and in my big listening room have "no sub needed" tight tuneful bass.  The midrange has a presence that is utterly spooky, like you are no longer listening to reproduced music, but you are there with no stereo in between.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Ultralight,

I compared the Zen and Glow mainly on the desktop.  The Glow has some feedback thus a little more control of the driver than the Zen which has no feedback.  In a desktop situation I like the Glow.  In a room I like the Zen.  With the flyweight drivers of the Omegas, the low damping of the Decware is a plus as it allows more driver excursion, thus a fuller sound and more bottom end.  That said, the Glow will still do a wonderful job in a room situation.