RS5 retrofits

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: RS5 retrofits
« Reply #20 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:25 am »
Canada Rob,

I've heard all the Decware amps available up to about 10 years ago and appreciate the value/sound quality they possess.  And I've followed Omega from the beginning (but haven't heard any recent models/drivers - Louis you've really got to expand your exposure).  But 100 dB max spl just isn't enough to accommodate many musical genres at realistic spls or provide prudent overload protection.

Perhaps when Louis rolls out his new sub (hopefully with multiple unit/room standing wave cancelling amp/hardware) they will be able to crossover high enough to take sufficient load off the new drivers to allow them to reach 105 - 110 dB.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 7 Nov 2012, 04:38 am »
JLM,
Some listeners (perhaps yourself) like their music at higher volumes, but be careful of something more valuable than your system, and that is your ears.  Without a good set of ears our beloved stereo becomes a boat anchor. 

One thing I love about the flea power SET/high efficiency single driver concept is the capability of low level dynamics.  Unlike so many high power amps and lower efficiency speakers, there is no need for high volume in order to get the full impact of the music.  It's all there at low to medium volumes, not to say that the flea power SET/high efficiency single driver concept is not capable of higher volumes, it is, but maybe not like what you are used to. 

That said, The Super 3XRS is not limited to flea powered SETs.  A good solid state higher powered amp would work well.  Although I haven't tried the Super 3XRS's on a higher powered solid state amp, I did try a 45w/ch Parasound Zamp V.3 on the Super 3T's and the sound was amazingly good with lots of headroom.

JLM

« Reply #22 on: 7 Nov 2012, 09:18 am »
Canada Rob,

You don't go back far enough, but I used to bore online folks with my warning that extended listening to over 85 dB will result in permanent hearing loss and possibly permanent pain.  No, my listening is very mellow (starting today at 4AM as almost always in the audio mancave well removed from the other human who inhabit this domicile).  So I too look for microdynamic performance in my system. 

Your account of the Super 3T's with 45 wpc of solid state is encouraging.  BTW I took a trip yesterday down Deckerville lane (Decware) and it looks like the trend towards upscale/bigger keeps going.  OTOH how many times can you reinvent oddball (no disrespect) 2 wpc SET's?

Maybe I'll just PM Louis to get the low down on clean wattage capacity for the new driver.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 7 Nov 2012, 05:42 pm »
Canada Rob,

OTOH how many times can you reinvent oddball (no disrespect) 2 wpc SET's?

JLM,
As long as it keeps improving the breed, which IMO it is.

Also concerning Omega and HB speakers paired up with higher powered solid state, here is a short list that has worked well for me:
Audio Zone Amp STi, Audio Sector Integrated, Creek A50, Parasound Zamp V.3, all about 50w/ch RMS. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 7 Nov 2012, 06:04 pm »
JLM, I'd give him a call, he doesn't come on here very often but he does answer the phone  :thumb:

JLM

« Reply #25 on: 8 Nov 2012, 09:53 am »
JLM,

Also concerning Omega and HB speakers paired up with higher powered solid state, here is a short list that has worked well for me:
Audio Zone Amp STi, Audio Sector Integrated, Creek A50, Parasound Zamp V.3, all about 50w/ch RMS.

Thanks again (I do own 40 watt Channel Island Audio VMB-1 chip based monoblocks similar to Audio Zone/Audio Sector).

What I should have said is how long can a company survive just offering 2 wpc oddball SET's (as it's got to be a very small market sector that must be pretty saturated).

Dave, hate to drag him away from the shop, but maybe I will on Monday (my next day off).

BruceD7575

« Reply #26 on: 8 Nov 2012, 05:33 pm »
I have built my amp specifically for my Super 3 XRS, and recently came up with a configuration that works well, really incredible sound... it is a SET amp but with much lower distortion due to the Aikido preamp/driver section. Lower distortion is comparing the Aikido as a driver vs a 12BH7 single triode driver with a CCS plate load, which is no slouch either. The Aikido is using 6SN7s as input and output tubes, so 20 dB gain, and driving triode strapped EL34s in cathode bias with no feedback. With a DAC delivering 2V RMS the gain is perfect. The amp makes 6 wpc at the onset of clipping, and it will drive the RS5s to breakup before it runs out of power.

Dave, your setup is really beautiful! If it sounds as good as you say as well, that's quite an accomplishment. Did you build it yourself? I've been using an EVS Ice amp with built-in attenuators for a while, but I've been contemplating a change to either a low-power SET or a nc400 (ncore) amp. Totally different directions, I know, but both equally compelling for me to try. Also, did you build those stands? If so, where did you source the wood? I'm running my 5XRS sitting on a wood floor, and I'm guessing your stands would make a nice improvement.

Incidentally, I made up speaker cables using the cotton-covered neotec wire and it does sound really nice on a first listen. I haven't soldered it directly to the drivers yet, as I figure I'll listen to it first through the binding posts, since that's how I was listening to it previously. So far, I have to say it's very smooth and plush sounding. I'm almost tempted to say overly soft, but the highs sparkle and the bass is tight and deep, so maybe I'm going to let it burn in for a bit and give it another listen. Overall, I do like the change though. It's a plus that the red wire is actually fairly attractive by speaker cable standards. By the way, do you just punch the wire through the mesh at the back of the port in the Omega to hardwire? Also, have you tried making interconnects from the same wire?

Thanks for all the advice!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 8 Nov 2012, 06:27 pm »
Bruce, thanks! I built the pre, amp, and speaker stands myself out of figured maple and walnut for the corners. I got the wood on ebay from antlersexpress. I also got some big slabs of walnut from him for an equipment stand.

Anyway, I'd go with an EL34 SET, I don't like digital amps but I know a lot of people think they have improved to the point where they are a decent option... I have never heard one that was anywhere close to my SET amp. I have only heard a Trends t-amp and a Virtue on Omega speakers before though.

I agree with what you are saying about the Neotech wire. Initially I thought some high freq info must be missing, but then I realize it is only distortions or sounds that should not be there in the first place are missing, and what I'm hearing is more detailed, accurate and easier to listen to vs. literally any other wire I've ever used. I'm not sure about going through the port, maybe ask Louis about that one.... but I would say that getting rid of the brass and steel connectors will make for a nice improvement in sound quality.

Also, I did make some ICs out of the neotech wire using 24 ga. I also used 2 runs of 24 ga gold plated occ copper w/enamel insulation for the ground, it is sold on ebay through clairvoyant cables and is pretty cheap for occ copper wire if you win an auction for a good price. I used Furutech RCA plugs with an occ copper center pin. They are also the best ICs I've ever made or heard....

BruceD7575

« Reply #28 on: 8 Nov 2012, 06:50 pm »
Dave, any chance you have some spare wire that you'd be interested to sell? I'd like to build a set of these ICs, but I don't really need 80 feet of the clairvoyent stuff. Also, if, in the unlikely event, you'd be interested in building another one of your amps/preamps, do let me know! I'll check out antlersexpress for the amp stand.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 9 Nov 2012, 07:36 am »
DaveC113,
I should have mentioned it when you posted the picture of your system, but this gear looks really nice.  It is clear you are talented.  Love the woodwork.  It's not often one sees woodworking and electronic talent melded together like this.  Nice job.

CR

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #30 on: 9 Nov 2012, 05:08 pm »
Thanks guys!

Bruce, sure I can get you some wire. I've never thought about building an amp for anyone else, but I suppose it's possible. I've been thinking about how to combine an Aikido front end and EL34 SET power stage in an integrated amp as far as the power supply. Of course, my equipment has separate power supplies for the preamp and amp, but the other possibilities are one big PS for the entire amp or a dual mono power supply. I'm also thinking the PS would be better in it's own chassis, especially if going dual mono. Packaging the entire amp in one chassis is possible especially if there is only one PS, but would get a little crowded.

I was also thinking the Aikido preamp by itsself is a great voltage amp, but a voltage gain stage is rarely needed to drive amps these days. For me the Aikido preamp is great because I can also build a MOSFET power amp or a KT88 push-pull amp and then be able to use the Aikido as a front end on any one of those power amps without needing an input gain stage. With an integrated you wouldn't have the flexibility of a separate pre/power amp, but since nobody really builds power amps commercially that require an active pre, it might not be the best solution.

plakey

« Reply #31 on: 9 Nov 2012, 07:50 pm »
Can I upgrade the original Super 3 speakers with this?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 9 Nov 2012, 07:56 pm »
Can I upgrade the original Super 3 speakers with this?

Yes, call Louis at Omega. They are about $160 for the pair and definitely worthwhile.

frank111

« Reply #33 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:53 pm »
JLM,

I agree Canada Rob. I have a McIntosh MC 2505 amp, rated @ 50 watts(but i think that may be conservative) paired with HoytBedford 1's.  And this a.m. at 5:30 it was Zepplin's Mothership disc 1 that woke up the household !

Hank Murrow

« Reply #34 on: 10 Nov 2012, 11:25 am »

Packaging the entire amp in one chassis is possible especially if there is only one PS, but would get a little crowded.

Dear Dave; You might be interested to see Paul Birkeland's implementation of a 2A3 Parallel-feed SET which he built for me in three chassis hooked together with common front and rear panels. There are separate hybrid power supplies for each channel, with choke loads for driver and power tubes, and CuTF V-caps coupling them. The separate box houses a LED string for bias supply.

Lots of Iron in there, including MagneQuest TFA-2004 jr. M4 with Cobalt slices in the middle of the coil.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 10 Nov 2012, 11:23 pm »
Hank, I've seen that amp before, it is beautiful and I'm sure it sounds great too. Is it a standard ~17" width chassis? 

I've been considering trying parafeed with a gyrator plate load and LED bias for the EL34s, adding another cap/trafo and a SS devices to the amp could help in some ways but hurt in others. The fact that you don't need to spend as much on the OPTs is nice though. I will probably try fixed bias w/ batteries though, as it's very simple and eliminates Rk and Ck. That would rid my amp of electrolytic capacitors entirely, which would be nice.

Hank Murrow

« Reply #36 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:06 am »
Dear Dave; Yes, and crowded and heavy it is, as you pointed out about PS's on the same chassis. I love the sound, and when I can afford it, maybe the first of the year, I plan to order the EML 2A3 meshies's for it. That will be the candle on the cake! I have to say, as pretty as Paul's work turned out, I do love the warmth of your burled Maple. Congratulations on a beautiful build. Cheers, Hank