PowerSupply question

bubba966

PowerSupply question
« on: 23 Oct 2003, 05:48 am »
I've been looking (not terribly hard mind you) for a better power supply for my Video Standards Transcoder. It requires between 15-20VDC @ 500mA.

Mike G pointed out in another thread that you sell a DIY PS as I wasn't aware of such an offering from you.

So your PS for the Bugle takes care of the 15VDC requirement. But on your site you say it puts out between 0mA-100mA.

Can the PS design be tweaked to put out 500mA? I see you've mentioned being able to adjust the output voltage.

I know sqaut about power supplies, so forgive me for asking if such a thing isn't really feasible.

Too bad I didn't know you had such a product. I woulda asked you about it at VSAC had I known... :(

hagtech

PowerSupply question
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2003, 05:07 am »
Bubba,

Sorry, my power supply won't go up to 500mA.  Not at that output voltage.  You can tweak it to go 250mA at 5V.  The limitation is the size of the transformer.  

You're best bet is to build something similar to the positive half of my supply.  The regulator will handle the current, just make sure you have enough heat-sinking so it doesn't get too hot.  Find a tranny that is specified for at least 1 amp (you need to do that for full-wave rectified supplies).  

A 15Vac secondary will rectify to 21V, then drop a volt for schottky diodes, drop some more for ripple and ESR and you get to about 18Vdc in front of the regulator, which is about as low as you can go.  Use a 2" heat sink just to be safe.  Capacitors will need to be proportionally increased.

Good luck!

jh :)

bubba966

PowerSupply question
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2003, 05:24 am »
Jim,

Thanks for the info.

Maybe someday I'll build a PS like you explained (or see if I could pay Wayne to build it... :wink: :) ).

Won't be terribly soon as work is starting to slow down, and I don't really use my Transcoder all that often as I don't have too many PAL discs.

ErikM

Another PS capacity question
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2003, 11:40 pm »
On the topic of Bugle Power supplies, I was wondering if the PS puts out enough juice to power an active filter (3 2064 opamps) as well as the the Bugle?

hagtech

PowerSupply question
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2003, 05:05 am »
Sure, the PS spits out +/-100mA, which should be enough.  Bugle alone takes less than 35mA.

jh :)