Chassis Construction Tips

hagtech

« on: 9 Oct 2003, 07:09 pm »
Maybe this belongs in another circle, but it also applies to Cornet builders.  Metalwork is not everyone's favorite pasttime.  I often hear comments from DIYers that the worst part of construction is the chassis cutouts.  Yeah, I know.

I have a CNC, but still do a lot by hand.  One of the best inventions ever is the step-drill bit.  I have three of various sizes and use them constantly.  They cut aluminum chassis very cleanly.  As far as I am concerned, there is no better way to cut large holes for tubes.  

The best deal I could find online was this one at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056OOV/qid=1065726442/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-tools/104-5368032-7893535?v=glance&s=hi&n=228013

If the link doesn't work, do a search in Tools & Hardware for a "Porter-Cable 18686".  It is $52, but well worth it.  This particular one is best for tubes because it will cut holes up to 1.375".

jh :)

pretzel_logic

Needed one of those about 2 weeks ago
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2003, 07:38 pm »
I used a sheet metal nibbler which worked ok but it was tough getting perfect holes, and of course they aren't perfect.  

Brian

Braden

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2003, 09:08 pm »
Regarding a step drill bit, are you referring to a unibit? Those work well, but you're right, they are expensive. I used a standard high quality hole saw. I stacked wood up underneath the chasis to raise it up 1/4" to 1/2" or so, then clamped that to the drill press table. That helped give it a fairly clean cut, then I used a simply deburring tool to smooth off the edge. It worked great, and these tools should be easy to come by, either purchased or borowed. Always make sure to use a center punch before drilling. Even a tightly clamped drill press will wander a bit if it's allowed to!

Braden

hagtech

Transformers
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2003, 05:54 am »
I've had a few of the Hammond 270BX transformers come in a little "old" looking.  One way to upgrade appearance is by painting the bells.  However, they may have a bit too much varnish on them.

I soaked some bells overnight in alcohol (the isopropyl kind) and then the varnish scrubbed right off using a dish sponge.  Once dried, the surface took spray paint quite well.  You can get metallic finishes cheap at the hardware store.

jh :)