PS Audio Directstream DAC

nc42acc

Re: PS Audio Directstream DAC
« Reply #60 on: 17 Nov 2018, 04:25 pm »
Snowmonster locked and loaded, let the listening begin. TBC

jbtrio

« Reply #61 on: 17 Nov 2018, 10:23 pm »
nc42acc, I compared my Denafrips Terminator to the updated DS with snowmass. I used a Jay's Audio cdt-2 mk.2 transport into both Dac's with a WW Platinum HDMI I2S cable. I'm sorry to say it's not even close. The Termy is a much better Dac.

The Termy is much more open has better prat, more air, micro and macro dynamics are better. Bass is very powerful with excellent tone and texture. Maybe with SACD it will sound closer but with redbook the Denafrips is at a higher level, imho.

I'm curious what your impressions will be.

Anybody in the market for a PS Audio Memory Player and DS sr. Dac I'll give you a great price as a package deal.

Joe

nc42acc

« Reply #62 on: 17 Nov 2018, 11:10 pm »

There you go and I didn’t even need to write anything. Terminator is still king of my hill too. I will say the Snowmonster update is a great improvement. To get the best out of the DS I used a Singxer to feed it i2S. Dead Bridge II so it wasn’t in my mix.

nc42acc, I compared my Denafrips Terminator to the updated DS with snowmass. I used a Jay's Audio cdt-2 mk.2 transport into both Dac's with a WW Platinum HDMI I2S cable. I'm sorry to say it's not even close. The Termy is a much better Dac.

The Termy is much more open has better prat, more air, micro and macro dynamics are better. Bass is very powerful with excellent tone and texture. Maybe with SACD it will sound closer but with redbook the Denafrips is at a higher level, imho.

I'm curious what your impressions will be.

Anybody in the market for a PS Audio Memory Player and DS sr. Dac I'll give you a great price as a package deal.

Joe

richidoo

« Reply #63 on: 3 Dec 2018, 01:28 am »
Whatever you do please DO NOT read this if you want to save lots of money.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31119-power-supply-8-group-test-lps-and-smps/

I do not want to save lots of money, so I read it  :P   and added iPower to my Christmas list.  :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #64 on: 25 Dec 2018, 09:57 pm »
Followup: The iFi iPower 9V adapter seems to be making a very positive difference with my SMS-200>Vega DAC compared to the stock adapter. Definitely worth $50! Thanks for the tip, nc42acc!