PS Audio Directstream DAC

debjit.g

Re: PS Audio Directstream DAC
« Reply #40 on: 15 Nov 2018, 08:34 pm »
Thanks for the info debjit.g  !!

Would you by any chance have a link to explain how you bridge the Ethernet ports on the server side using a Mac as a server?  I've got a a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter so now the Mac has two Ethernet ports, but can't figure out setting it up.

I've read some of the thread on CA (Novel way to massively improve the SQ of audio streaming) and near the beginning there is a link to an Apple support page but it's broken.

I run Linux on my server. However, I think you can do the following on a Mac. I just tried in on my Macbook Pro running High Sierra. As you can see both the interface en1 and en2 (in bold) are now part of the bridge0. Not sure if the actual bridging will work but you can give it a short. Just grab a terminal and do the following:

dghosh-mbp:~ dghosh$ sudo ifconfig bridge0 create
dghosh-mbp:~ dghosh$ sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm en1 addm en2
dghosh-mbp:~ dghosh$ ifconfig bridge0
bridge0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
   options=63<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,TSO4,TSO6>
   ether 4a:00:00:ee:f7:20
   Configuration:
      id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 hellotime 0 fwddelay 0
      maxage 0 holdcnt 0 proto stp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200
      root id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 ifcost 0 port 0
      ipfilter disabled flags 0x2
   member: en1 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
           ifmaxaddr 0 port 5 priority 0 path cost 0
   member: en2 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
           ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 0 path cost 0
   Address cache:
   nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
   media: <unknown type>

debjit.g

« Reply #41 on: 15 Nov 2018, 08:38 pm »
Rich I am going to give this a try after I load Snowmonster.

typo or deliberate ?

debjit.g

« Reply #42 on: 15 Nov 2018, 08:45 pm »
Thanks for the info debjit.g  !!

Would you by any chance have a link to explain how you bridge the Ethernet ports on the server side using a Mac as a server?  I've got a a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter so now the Mac has two Ethernet ports, but can't figure out setting it up.

I've read some of the thread on CA (Novel way to massively improve the SQ of audio streaming) and near the beginning there is a link to an Apple support page but it's broken.

I run Linux on my server. However, I think you can do the following on a Mac. I just tried in on my Macbook Pro running High Sierra. As you can see both the interface en1 and en2 (in bold) are now part of the bridge0. Not sure if the actual bridging will work but you can give it a short. Just grab a terminal and do the following:

dghosh-mbp:~ dghosh$ sudo ifconfig bridge0 create
dghosh-mbp:~ dghosh$ sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm en1 addm en2
dghosh-mbp:~ dghosh$ ifconfig bridge0
bridge0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
   options=63<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,TSO4,TSO6>
   ether 4a:00:00:ee:f7:20
   Configuration:
      id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 hellotime 0 fwddelay 0
      maxage 0 holdcnt 0 proto stp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200
      root id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 ifcost 0 port 0
      ipfilter disabled flags 0x2
   member: en1 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
           ifmaxaddr 0 port 5 priority 0 path cost 0
   member: en2 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
           ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 0 path cost 0
   Address cache:
   nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
   media: <unknown type>

I think another option which is GUI friendly is to use the "Sharing" from System Preference. Just enable Internal Sharing and select the ports on the right. This might work as well.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #43 on: 15 Nov 2018, 09:08 pm »
Many thanks will give it a try.  Also have a friend who I'm back in touch with, he's got it working I believe with his Mac, so I'll get it going eventually.

Looking forward to Snowmass on my DS DAC this weekend.  I'm using the USB input from an ultraRendu powered by LPS-1 which, for my ears in my system, sounds a little better than Bridge II. 

nc42acc

« Reply #44 on: 15 Nov 2018, 10:05 pm »
It is a deliberate typo  :lol: Thanks for paying attention.  :thumb:

typo or deliberate ?

debjit.g

« Reply #45 on: 15 Nov 2018, 11:41 pm »

not surprised :D

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #46 on: 15 Nov 2018, 11:58 pm »

We’ll see if the Snowmass renders the Terminator to be Terminated  :icon_twisted:

Have fun comparing!  :popcorn:

Best,
Anand.

richidoo

« Reply #47 on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:11 am »
Rich I am going to give this a try after I load Snowmonster. My SGC has two ethernet ports. I will let you know how it sounds.

This is where I read about direct ethernet connection to player

brj

« Reply #48 on: 16 Nov 2018, 11:26 am »
We’ll see if the Snowmass renders the Terminator to be Terminated  :icon_twisted:

Now that is a comparison I'd very much love to read!

(And I'm waiting to see how the Bridge III 'war' turns out as well... Roon is a requirement for me, and if the BIII won't support it, then the DS looses what, for me, is one of its specific advantages over the Terminator - the native Ethernet interface.  I do love the PS Audio firmware naming convention though... Snowmass Mountain sits above the especially beautiful Snowmass Lake along the famous Four Pass Loop.)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #49 on: 16 Nov 2018, 11:36 am »
Now that is a comparison I'd very much love to read!

(And I'm waiting to see how the Bridge III 'war' turns out as well... Roon is a requirement for me, and if the BIII won't support it, then the DS looses what, for me, is one of its specific advantages over the Terminator - the native Ethernet interface.  I do love the PS Audio firmware naming convention though... Snowmass Mountain sits above the especially beautiful Snowmass Lake along the famous Four Pass Loop.)

Yes.

From my understanding, the Colorado mountain range has the highest peaks, ie the highest number of mountains that hit 14,000 feet in the USA. As such, these are called the “Fourteeners”, each with its own name. All the latest iterations of firmware updates for the DS series (Senior & Junior), have names based on  this series of mountains. There are 53 of them. Pikes, Torreys, Huron, RedCloud, Snowmass, etc...

Best,
Anand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #50 on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:49 pm »
PS Audio is currently offering DS Senior for $4000 (same list price as the DS Junior).  I bought the Junior from underwoodhifi.com for $2580 shipped direct from the factory.  DSJ has bridge built-in so functions as a DAC, preamp, and streamer.

I like my DSJ (bought in September).  Seems very well built, and great support.  I've moved way up, so can't really compare, but all around sounds better.  Remote works fine.  PS Audio has so far offered 6 free operating system upgrades for the DS Senior and DSJ.  A nice way to avoid obsolesce.  Unfortunately the latest upgrade is not quite ready for DSJ.  Note that the Stellar GCD is not FPGA (software) based, so cannot be upgraded in the same way.

nc42acc

« Reply #51 on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:55 pm »
Well I killed the Bridge II last night or maybe I should say the update killed it. Looks like a replacement is in the future from the guys at PS Audio. I guess it will be a USB only Snowmonster VS Terminator match up. That is if the Snowmonster update doesn't abominable my DAC completely. I am telling you that Terminator sits very high up on the mountain. It is going to take a lot to knock it off......

nc42acc

« Reply #52 on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:56 pm »
I heard that there is a snowmonster that lives on the snowmass peak and that will be the next update. Maybe this will be the addendum to snowmass?  :lol: :lol:

Yes.

From my understanding, the Colorado mountain range has the highest peaks, ie the highest number of mountains that hit 14,000 feet in the USA. As such, these are called the “Fourteeners”, each with its own name. All the latest iterations of firmware updates for the DS series (Senior & Junior), have names based on  this series of mountains. There are 53 of them. Pikes, Torreys, Huron, RedCloud, Snowmass, etc...

Best,
Anand.

Yomaha

« Reply #53 on: 16 Nov 2018, 03:30 pm »
In my setup I find the USB to sound better but you would need a good quality server/streamer (likes of Sotm, etc). I have even removed the card from DS which further improves a bit of SQ. If you want to go the B-II route, make sure you have a good foundation with the Ethernet switches and cables and a good LPS to power it up.

In regards to LPS on the ethernet switch...I am a little ignorant in that department...can I get some advice?

I have the following signal path over Ethernet:

Comcast Modem>>>Google Wifi>>>Bridge II

Are folks suggesting to upgrade LPS on the Comcast modem or the Google Wifi or both?  Also, any rec's on LPS brands/models that seem to make a significant difference?

Thanks!

nc42acc

« Reply #54 on: 16 Nov 2018, 03:50 pm »
Now they are making "audiophile" network switches that are specifically designed to handle music streaming. When will the madness end?

In regards to LPS on the ethernet switch...I am a little ignorant in that department...can I get some advice?

Are folks suggesting to upgrade LPS on the Comcast modem or the Google Wifi or both?  Also, any rec's on LPS brands/models that seem to make a significant difference?

Thanks!

Yomaha

« Reply #55 on: 16 Nov 2018, 04:49 pm »
Now they are making "audiophile" network switches that are specifically designed to handle music streaming. When will the madness end?

Never.

debjit.g

« Reply #56 on: 16 Nov 2018, 04:53 pm »

Thanks!

What most folks are doing (and see a bump in SQ) is by introducing a switch powered by LPS between the DAC/Streamer and the rest of the network. In your case, that would be between the Google Wifi and B-II. The LPS would depend on the power requirement on the switch. If you know the power requirement for Google Wifi, you can try powering it with the LPS and skip the switch. At some point you might get a switch and then compare. Its impossible to predict what will benefit in a given setup. Some decent quality LPS can be had from hd-plex but there are costlier ones if you need a better one.

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-200w-linear-power-supply-for-pc-audio-and-ce-device.html 

nc42acc

« Reply #57 on: 16 Nov 2018, 05:13 pm »
Whatever you do please DO NOT read this if you want to save lots of money.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31119-power-supply-8-group-test-lps-and-smps/

What most folks are doing (and see a bump in SQ) is by introducing a switch powered by LPS between the DAC/Streamer and the rest of the network. In your case, that would be between the Google Wifi and B-II. The LPS would depend on the power requirement on the switch. If you know the power requirement for Google Wifi, you can try powering it with the LPS and skip the switch. At some point you might get a switch and then compare. Its impossible to predict what will benefit in a given setup. Some decent quality LPS can be had from hd-plex but there are costlier ones if you need a better one.

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-200w-linear-power-supply-for-pc-audio-and-ce-device.html

Yomaha

« Reply #58 on: 16 Nov 2018, 05:46 pm »
Thanks - I'll probably try to find an LPS for the Google wifi and start there! 

Yomaha

« Reply #59 on: 16 Nov 2018, 06:01 pm »
Whatever you do please DO NOT read this if you want to save lots of money.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31119-power-supply-8-group-test-lps-and-smps/

Thanks for sharing that!