Stello U3

bhobba

Stello U3
« on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:15 am »
Ok since my Off-Ramp is on the blink and I really wanted to continue checking out the Metrum I decided to get a Stello U3 - plus people have asked how it works with something a bit more affordable than the Off-Ramp. Spent a very enjoyable afternoon down at a local audio shop, Caxton Audio, while picking it up.  And yes lest anyone thinks anything untoward is going on I paid full retail price.

I did get a chance to try the U3 and Metrum out on the system at Caxton Audio with some valve amps and Quad Electrostatics. Two other audiophiles active on the local forum here in Australia, SNA, were there and we did a comparison between the U3 + Metrum and a Wiess DAC 2. Now I was asked to point out the Wiess was cold and supposedly improves with warm up but to be blunt everyone thought the U3+Metrum was significantly better (I would say blew it away but in consideration of the others present decided on a bit less hyperbole) which is an excellent showing considering it was under half the price

Got back to my place and popped the Stello U3 into my system with the Metrum and unfortunately while very good, and definitely better than the other DAC's that have been through my system other than the PDX such as the JKDAC, Burson etc, it is not as good as the Off-Ramp and the Wavelength may have been a bit better. Only when fed with the Off-Ramp did it convey the super accurate rendition that wowed me so much - it still wows me but not as much. At least that is from memory which can be unreliable - the final verdict will have to wait until I get my Off-Ramp back and can do a direct comparison.

That said it still sounds awesome and IMHO fed with the Stello for an all up cost of $1500.00 it is better than the WFS, Burson, JKDAC, and both Trainquilites. I prefer the my reference DAC, the PDX, for being more convincing and realistic but would rather others comment on that comparison due to my well known liking for that DAC.

Will be able to report more when I have finished the listening session a guy that is coming over at 2.00 to check it out.

Thanks
Bill

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Stello U3
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:32 am »
Thank you Bill.

Seems like great sound is getting cheaper and cheaper.   :thumb:

bhobba

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2011, 09:54 am »
Just completed a listening session with the Metrum and U3 and another audiophile, Gary.  It easily bests any other DAC I have except the PDX - the WFS, Burson, both Tranquility's, JKDAC, they all fell.  Gary bought an Audio GD Ref 5 over and to my ears it was blown away as well but he thought it was closer with it being more of a sideways move.  The Metrum + U3 was simply more accurate.  But the PDX easily bested them all - as Gary said the others sounded like digital sources - the PDX simply sounded real.

We tried the V-Link and to my ears was not as accurate - it sounded fuller and more rounded but not with the same detail.  Definitely it did not have the drop dead super accurate and detailed sound of the Off-Ramp at least from memory anyway.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2011, 10:04 am »
Thank you Bill. Seems like great sound is getting cheaper and cheaper.   :thumb:

I would never have thought sound like this could have been had for $1500.00.  The PDX is better but the base model with volume control is nearly twice the price and the Level 2 I have is $4-5K.

Thanks
Bill

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2011, 01:48 pm »
So you could put the Stello in front of any dac as a good clock? :scratch:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:03 pm »

I have the Stello U3 inhouse since Thursday, running it in now.  Srajan (6moons) loved it in front of Metrum Octave (his new reference combo) but also in front of my Antelope Gold, so I'm giving it a try....I don't dare listen before about 200 hours though.  Srajan and others have said it responds to break-in (as do most) and my first night listen reflects that (pretty clinical and forward).

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:08 pm »
I have the Stello U3 inhouse since Thursday, running it in now.  Srajan (6moons) loved it in front of Metrum Octave (his new reference combo) but also in front of my Antelope Gold, so I'm giving it a try....I don't dare listen before about 200 hours though.  Srajan and others have said it responds to break-in (as do most) and my first night listen reflects that (pretty clinical and forward).

WOW.  His Gold didn't last long (3 months).   :scratch:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:11 pm »
I see now that the only input is USB so it has to receive data directly from the PC.  I'm not set up for that quite yet.  Still using the Touch device.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:14 pm »
WOW.  His Gold didn't last long (3 months).   :scratch:

Yeah, and with the Octave at only 16 bits seems a rather interesting "reference".  Oh well, 16 bits well done I guess. 

The resolution from the U3 is very promising.....I don't think my AES/EBU input has any hours on it so the break in will be at both ends (although thankfully the analog stage of the Gold is well-broken-in).

srb

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:43 pm »
Yeah, and with the Octave at only 16 bits seems a rather interesting "reference". Oh well, 16 bits well done I guess.

I'm a little confused.  Although I see the Metrum Octave is limited to 176.4KHz sampling rate, the specs say "16 or 24 bits".

Steve

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2011, 03:35 pm »
Bill's review over on SN talks about it being a 16 bit chip, and there was a mention of it on CA.  Maybe premature though, and Metrum ain't talking (nor would I :)  ).

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2011, 03:38 pm »
The Metrum does 24-bit data up to 176.4kHz according to its maker. It simply doesn't up/oversample incoming data. But if you do up/oversampling before the data hits the Metrum (say in PureMusic or because it was natively recorded that way), it'll process it fine.

bhobba

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2011, 12:20 am »

Yes indeed - like the Off-Ramp it makes any DAC I have tried it on better and they are the WFS, Burson, and Metrum - but the most noticeable improvement would seem to be the Metrum.  From memory (and this needs to be confirmed by a direct comparison) the Off-Ramp is better again - more detail, more dynamics, and more life.  But it is considerably more expensive at $1700.00 being a hand made SOTA device.  With the Metrum the Off-Ramp is the most accurate thing I have ever heard - and that includes $20K Dacs - it really is uncanny.  But whether you like that super accurate Hi Fi sound is another matter when compared to other DAC with a more musical presentation is another matter.  I have demoed it to one other person and like me they preferred my reference DAC.  More investigation needs to be done before I make a final call however.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2011, 12:29 am »
Bill's review over on SN talks about it being a 16 bit chip, and there was a mention of it on CA.  Maybe premature though, andMetrum ain't talking (nor would I :)  ).

Its specs says: '32 tot 96 kHz sampling 16 of 24 bits.' - which as far as I can tell says will accept 24bits but drops the bottom 8.  The best way to find out however is to direct connect it to my amps and use the non dithered volume control to see if the sound 'softens' when you lower the volume.  I will do that now and get back.

I will also send Cees an email.

Added Later
As far as my ageing leaden ears can tell there is no bit dropping going on.  You can connect it direct to your amp no problem as fas as I can tell.  But will confirm with an Email to Cees

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2011, 11:52 am »
Hi Guys

Cees got back to me and Sajan is correct - it will do 24 bits if fed with 24 bits.

Also had a friend over with an Audiphello2 and it easily bested the Stello - the Stello was darker and slightly blurry compared to the Audiophello.  The Audiophello sounded more accurate and closer to what I heard with the Off-Ramp - but from memory the Off-Ramp let more detail through and was more dynamic.  At least that is from memory - a direct comparison needs to be done to verify it. The Audiophellio is $579 compared to the Stello's $499.00.  However you do not need a SPDIF cable with the Audiophello.

We also discovered a few more things about the Metrum but is more appropriate in the Metrum thread and will post it there.

Thanks
Bill 

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2011, 01:07 am »
Hi Guys

We also discovered a few more things about the Metrum but is more appropriate in the Metrum thread and will post it there.

Thanks
Bill

Any more updates Bill?

bhobba

« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2011, 09:49 am »
Any more updates Bill?

Yep - but it is more appropriate in the Metrum thread and I will post it there.

Regarding the Stello I will be selling it once I get the Off-Ramp back because the Audiophello is only a bit more expensive but significantly better.

Thanks
Bill