Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« on: 16 Sep 2010, 12:06 am »

I figure I would start a thread for this beautiful unit with some pics and early impressions.  This thread will be continually updated as I have more time with the unit.  I just took delivery of it today, and while it is way to early for official impressions....I did cheat and listen a little bit.  On first impression sonically, I will just say it is quite amazing.  But stay tuned later this week or next week when my "new pretty equipment" syndrome wears off and I have level headed and in depth impressions. 

I can however speak on the build quality and looks right now, both of which are excellent.  In person it is seems a bit smaller size wise than in pictures.  It actually does feel like it has some heft to it even with its light weight, it feels very solid. The volume controls for both the headphone outs and the main have a nice feel to them.  The headphone volume control seems to turn with more heft than the main volume.  Currently, my only gripe is the small external power supply, but from what I understand there will be a beefy/higher end power supply that you can purchase in the future.  The part of the power supply cord that plugs into the back of the unit has a nice metal casing that screws on securely, this is a nice touch.

Some pictures:

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2010, 12:17 am »
Whether it's here, on head-fi, Computer Audiophile...I and others will be watching this with rapt interest.  :)

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2010, 12:22 am »
Yeah I figure because of the lack of solid impressions / reviews out there, it deserves to be spread around on a few different forums. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2010, 12:42 am »
I've had mine for almost 30 days, and have over 400 hrs on it.  My review is forthcoming.  Tigzstudio, make sure you put at least 100 hrs on it before serious listening.  It's quite revelatory.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2010, 02:06 pm »
Yeah I figure because of the lack of solid impressions / reviews out there, it deserves to be spread around on a few different forums.

Definitely. :)

kenreau

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:29 pm »
I'm also anxious to read your impressions.

I see what looks like a toslink cable in the photo below?

What "conduit" are you guys using toget the 1's and 0's to it?  Toslink? USB? SPDIF converter? FW?

With Tranport or Computer?

Thanks
Kenreau

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:41 pm »
I'm using USB redbook to 24/192k from my Macbook server (SSD, firewire/USB external music HD, Pure Music 1.62B1) .  I compared various USB cables, too, although requires mini b at DAC end
and
I used my Weiss DAC2 as a firewire converter (to AES/EBU, into the Zodiac Plus)
and
I used glass toslink from my Atlona HD570 HDMi de-embedder for 2 channel 24/88k PCM'd SACD from my Oppo BDP-83.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:54 pm »
A chat from the corresponding  Head-fi thread Tigz made: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450235/really-high-end-new-dac/210#post_6931211

Quote from: TizStudio

First brief impressions (I cheated and have been listening, couldn't resist).  In short, it is sounding fantastic!  Even the headphone outs on the unit itself sound great (which I wasn't really expecting)!  It is like ... crystal clear, every last detail is magnified with ease....it is just there and you don't have to strain to hear any detail.  The space and air is quite excellent, makes my LCD-2s sound more spacious all around (3D, 360 degrees).  The imaging is also spot on....more to come later.  I was told by someone who has 400 hours play time on his that it gets even better at 100 hrs and again 200 hrs burn in.  Looking forward to it!  Stay tuned. 

Me:

It's just me kind of saying this loosely but I find I'm always a little skeptical when I see digital equipment and talk about 100-400 hours of burn-in and such. But that's just me. Maybe there's something to it.

Anyways, what I want to see here is if this nice piece falls into territory that some professional gear can, which this is: Pick the adjective of your choice: Dry, brittle, cold, sterile,clinical,analytical...if you're sound engineer that's what you want to get things down to the last iota. It may not be what you want if you're going to use it at your home for music.

Awesome imaging. Awesome spacing. Awesome resolution. Awesome everything except maybe one of those above adjectives come into play.

Obviously all of this also depends on subjective tastes, hearing, and other equipment in the food chain.

In my case, I think I have it down to either this or the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 and I'm trying to figure if the extra $1000 here really does something for me or not.

EDIT: I do know that folks like Ted. B, whose opinions I respect a lot, have described a "musical" sound and are very impressed as is the good Doctor. ;)
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2010, 06:36 pm by Eric5676 »

doctorcilantro

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2010, 06:35 pm »
I think I have a different SMPS and your ferrite looks rather big. I get some noise on the system unless I float the ground so maybe I need to find out if their is a new supply being issued. Can you take a closer pic? I'll do the same.

Keep in mind everyone, the + does not have a BNC input, just BNC word clock input.

The main volume dial is not stepped, nor a digitally controlled one; i.e. you won't be able repeat the exact volume at times. Mine skips over -10 a lot.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2010, 06:37 pm »
Here's what amazes me a little bit:

Apparently the manufacterer's warranty is enough of a mystery that I can't find it in PDF of the manual for the product, I can't find it on their website anywhere, my Sweetwater rep. told me had to email them to find out, and several owners here aren't sure, either.

I wouldn't make a federal case out of it but that does kind of make me take pause for a moment.

I did lurk around and see that, at least for some of their clocks, they offered 1 year parts/labor.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2010, 06:49 pm »
Last night I was testing a new version of J. River Media Center with a newly developed WASAPI [event style] mode.

This was due to some issues cropping up w/ USB DACs, as well issues on my system using a Lynx AES16-E to feed the +.

I left the system on shuffle for a while, then came back to do manual track changes (which is often when a sync/stutter problem would be introduced), and I found a nice sample of music.

I believe it was Gene Ammon's Boss Tenor album.

Track 1 I believe has some great low level congas in the left channel which is where the sax is. There is HUGE, probably artificial?, reverb on this, and these congas are so low level. I think the player is between hits doing some brushwork with hands. It's very revealing; a very good test piece. Also the attack on Ammons' sax is also a good thing to listen for. The sound, through headphones (JVC DX1000 - known by some to be too warm?) was very rich, but low level detail is so present.

I really dig the headphone output but I am not a headphone guru.

I wrote elsewhere about a comparison between the Matrix Mini and this DAC (you can imagine the results). My Lynx has two AES output cables, and I wish I could get another quality DAC in to play with, but there will be a local meeting in two weeks, and I'll have to ask if I can bring my DAC, then write a report.

I also have the ability to feed this through my tubes preamp, or direct to amp, but do not have identical cables to hook up to the dual inputs of the amp for quick A/B so that could be another thing to try, finding time is the problem.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2010, 06:52 pm »
The main volume dial is not stepped, nor a digitally controlled one; i.e. you won't be able repeat the exact volume at times. Mine skips over -10 a lot.

In my course of information overload recon, I have seen this issue mentioned before abroad once or twice FWIW. 

Fun impressions. I sincerely appreciate yours and some others' help on and off the boards. :)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2010, 06:57 pm »
I think I have a different SMPS and your ferrite looks rather big. I get some noise on the system unless I float the ground so maybe I need to find out if their is a new supply being issued. Can you take a closer pic? I'll do the same.

Keep in mind everyone, the + does not have a BNC input, just BNC word clock input.

From Lee (Locus Design/Cryoparts)

doctorcilantro

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2010, 09:06 pm »
Thanks, that's what saw that got me thinking. Same specs. but might look a bit different.

My warranty is a 2 year warranty, since I bought from Sweetwater.  So, SW are adding one year to Antelope's one year.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2010, 09:08 pm »
Thanks, that's what saw that got me thinking. Same specs. but might look a bit different.

My warranty is a 2 year warranty, since I bought from Sweetwater.  So, SW are adding one year to Antelope's one year.

Yes, retailers like Sweetwater are cool like that. :)

Thanks for the info. :)

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:11 pm »
I'm also anxious to read your impressions.

I see what looks like a toslink cable in the photo below?

What "conduit" are you guys using toget the 1's and 0's to it?  Toslink? USB? SPDIF converter? FW?

With Tranport or Computer?

Thanks
Kenreau

I am currently using this:

High end win7 64 based computer -> Foobar v1.1 (wasapi) -> Saffire Pro 24 dsp (firewire) interface -> Wireworld coaxial/spdif -> Antelope Audio Zodiac+ -> Norse Audio XLR (up-occ prototype) -> Violectric v181 (headamp) / Audeze LCD-2's / KRK rp-8 g2

All my cabling is high grade custom UP-OCC - (apart from the digital cable). 

I sold my nightingales but I will be getting some hifi speakers in hopefully less than a month or so as well as an amp. 

But man, in regards to my impressions right now they still stand.  I can't find any faults, it really shows me what my LCD-2s can do, and dare I say it....it may be the end all dac for me.  Speaker based listening is also just as fantastic right now.  Everything is just so balanced, throw any favorable audiophile term you want at it....you will get it in spades. 

In regards to my main volume control, I am able to repeat the same levels fairly precisely until I get to really low volumes.  At really low volumes it jumps numbers quite a bit on the display, however when you listen to it as you are turning it down you can tell it is going steadily/precisely lower volume.  I think it may just be the display itself.  I may shoot them an email asking about it.  But in all without looking at the display, as you turn the knob and listen to the increase/decrease in volume it is steady and precise. 

My unit came with a warranty card that states I have one year, buyer pays shipping costs if you need it repaired. 

I am very excited about my new edition.  Take my impressions with your grain of salt as I have only been listening to it for a day however. :)  But right now my feeling is that this is truly an elite piece of gear.  6moons should be getting their review up soon as well, Srajan has heard so many DACs out there....I would love to hear his thoughts on how this compares.  My guess is it will be up there with the best.   

« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2010, 12:53 am by tigzstudio »

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:23 pm »
Srajan just got his demo DAC the other day, and is breaking it in.  I don't expect his review for awhile yet.  I'll do my best to get something out this weekend.

denjo

« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:43 pm »
Has anyone compared the Antelope against the Tranquility DAC in USB implementation?

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:46 pm »
Srajan just got his demo DAC the other day, and is breaking it in.  I don't expect his review for awhile yet.  I'll do my best to get something out this weekend.

Excellent news!  8)

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:50 pm »
Ted
Looking forward to the Zodiac+ review.  I should have one on the Wyred DAC1 when I'm back in town again.
Mark