USB Cable for Amber 3

mreeter

USB Cable for Amber 3
« on: 24 Sep 2021, 12:18 pm »
I'm looking to better my current Audioquest Carbon USB cable that's connecting an Innuos Zen MK3 to the Amber 3. Looking for a little smoother on the top end, yet with good detail retrieval.

I would like to stay within $500. and I'm not opposed to buying used. What are you guys using and what recommendations does anyone have.

TIA, Mike

hi5harry

Re: USB Cable for Amber 3
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2021, 02:07 pm »
Hi Mike, I understand wanting to keep your purchase below $500, BUT take a good look at the Hapa Audio Aero. I have the Lampizator Big 7Mk2 and have tried too many mid priced usb cables. Then I splurged a little and bought the Aero and WOW. I didn't know any usb cable could make that much difference! I understand $995.. ( introductory price ) is above your price point but you will be thrilled! Just incredible.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2021, 04:26 am by hi5harry »

mreeter

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2021, 02:30 pm »
Hi Mike, I understand wanting to keep your purchase below $500, BUT take a good look at the Hapa Audio Aero. I have the Lampizator Big 7Mk2 and have tried too many mid priced usb cables. Then I splurged a little and bought the Aero and WOW. I didn't know any usb cable could make that much difference! I understand $850. ( introductory price ) is above your price point but you will be thrilled! Just incredible.

The $500. mark is a 'conservative' number, was hoping to maybe find a good used cable in the 750.-1000. range (Retail) for around that 500. mark. There are a world of cables out there, just trying to pin down what would be a great option for the Lampi, and to eliminate the cable merry-go-round that isn't easy (or inexpensive) to get off of :icon_lol:

Thanks for your input! I'll check them out :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2021, 01:04 am »
Go to the Hapa thread
 You still may be able to get on the Aero cable tour.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2021, 02:36 am »
2nd
Hi Mike, I understand wanting to keep your purchase below $500, BUT take a good look at the Hapa Audio Aero. I have the Lampizator Big 7Mk2 and have tried too many mid priced usb cables. Then I splurged a little and bought the Aero and WOW. I didn't know any usb cable could make that much difference! I understand $850. ( introductory price ) is above your price point but you will be thrilled! Just incredible.

Agreed, the Hapa Aero USB is very special.

doggie

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2021, 12:49 pm »
Before spending big bucks you might try one more bang-for-the-buck cable, the Ghent Audio USB(JSSG360). It is based on some ideas that John Swenson put forth on Audiophile Style(AKA The Computer Audiophile).

It is inexpensive and has a balanced yet detailed sound. I have used them for a couple of years. Two disclaimers. I have not owned a USB cable that cost over $100. And I have used a DDC in my system for the past 5 years: currently a Denefrips Hermes and before that a Mutec USB clocked by a REF10.

I think that a good DDC tends to zero out issues with USB cables. It also gives you more input options for your DAC. Personally, I favor AES/EBU. Not all DAC USB implementations are created equal.

mreeter

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2021, 04:25 pm »
Thanks for the rec, I’m open to any and all suggestions. My Streamer, an Innuos Zen MK3 has only one output, USB. According to Fred at Lampizator NA, the USB input on the Amber received a lot of attention in the design. It also outputs the highest resolution via USB. So, USB it is :wink:

doggie

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2021, 11:41 am »
Thanks for the rec, I’m open to any and all suggestions. My Streamer, an Innuos Zen MK3 has only one output, USB. According to Fred at Lampizator NA, the USB input on the Amber received a lot of attention in the design. It also outputs the highest resolution via USB. So, USB it is :wink:

I have a new Baltic 3 that is moving into the final flat part of the burn-in curve. I have been using USB as I was unable to get my Mutec USB to work well with it. The new USB card that they use is remarkable. I can now see why not many folks talk about DDC's or re-clockers with their Lampi's.

Did you ever decide on a new USB cable?

mreeter

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2021, 06:14 pm »
I have a new Baltic 3 that is moving into the final flat part of the burn-in curve. I have been using USB as I was unable to get my Mutec USB to work well with it. The new USB card that they use is remarkable. I can now see why not many folks talk about DDC's or re-clockers with their Lampi's.

Did you ever decide on a new USB cable?

Not yet, I have a cable coming to demo in the future that gets pretty high praise, we’ll see. Uh, hear😆

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=178171.0

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2021, 06:23 pm »
I use a Shunyata Sigma USB. A real gamechanger but it is pricey.

mreeter

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2021, 11:48 pm »
I use a Shunyata Sigma USB. A real gamechanger but it is pricey.

That Sigma looks like an exceptional wire, but unfortunately out of my reach.

Maybe I'll come across a great buy on a used version one day.

« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2021, 11:24 am by mreeter »

tinkerphile

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2021, 04:14 am »
Did you decide on a USB cable yet?  I realize this is a late reply, but FTA is out with a new cable, a step up from their Calisto.  The Calist has gotten rave reviews by many, many Lampy owners.  I expect you'll find some for sale in the $700 to 800 range.  List for the Calisto was near $1000.

doggie

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2021, 04:21 am »
Did you decide on a USB cable yet?  I realize this is a late reply, but FTA is out with a new cable, a step up from their Calisto.  The Calist has gotten rave reviews by many, many Lampy owners.  I expect you'll find some for sale in the $700 to 800 range.  List for the Calisto was near $1000.

I did buy a Calisto and like it very much.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2021, 05:46 am »
The best cable that I have heard was the Wire World Starlight Platinum.  It is smooth yet detailed with no grain whatsoever.  It is about $600.  Keep in mind that usb cables are dac dependent and can sound different in different systems.

My Luxman and Chord Qutest DAC's sound different with different cables.  What sounds good with the Chord does not necessarily sound the same with the Luxman.

About 3 years ago we did a USB cable shoot out and the results were eye opening to say the least.

The AQ Coffee is supposed to be a nice step up from the Carbon but I would strongly consider the WW Platinum.  Rent some cables from the Cable Co.  They let you rent 5 cables at a time.

mreeter

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2021, 12:07 pm »

I ended up with a nice Audience AU24+ USB cable, that is a dual wire design. It's taken the edge off of the top end that was present before and given the presentation a much more 'natural' tone.

The Calisto looks promising as well, one day I'll give one a whirl. I appreciate all the suggestions :thumb:

mreeter

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2021, 12:17 pm »
The best cable that I have heard was the Wire World Starlight Platinum.  It is smooth yet detailed with no grain whatsoever.  It is about $600.  Keep in mind that usb cables are dac dependent and can sound different in different systems.

My Luxman and Chord Qutest DAC's sound different with different cables.  What sounds good with the Chord does not necessarily sound the same with the Luxman.

About 3 years ago we did a USB cable shoot out and the results were eye opening to say the least.

The AQ Coffee is supposed to be a nice step up from the Carbon but I would strongly consider the WW Platinum.  Rent some cables from the Cable Co.  They let you rent 5 cables at a time.

The Wire World line has a lot to offer, I will try to rent one in the future. As for now, I've picked up a 'new to me' Audience AU24+ wire and it's working out very well.

Thanks for the recommendation on the WW Straight Platinum :thumb:

ogharaei

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2022, 01:42 pm »
I did buy a Calisto and like it very much.

I can second the Callisto, it is a suprisingly good cable for the money spent. Quietend everything down in my chain and added a bit of depth and width, with good detail.