Vertical Driver alignment- Is it all about the ears?

Skilly

I think I know the answer to these questions before I post but I would love to hear other take on it. I notice Danny Uses only Vertical axis alignment of his drivers on all his speaker designs, unless it is a center channel.

I have heard Danny speak of the timing issues created when the drivers are separated. Are their other issues beside timing created by a vertical arrangement? Like this:

Disregard the actual speaker here, but does a design like this inherently cause timing issues?

thanks

RonP

Re: Vertical Driver alignment- Is it all about the ears?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2021, 01:49 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXEine4jpg

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqjhYNM7V_0

among other videos.. start with the oldest vids in the channel and watch em all.

Skilly

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2021, 06:19 am »
Ron, I am sorry but that is not helpful. I respectfully suggest there is more involved here then just keeping the drivers in phase with one another. I know those video well, having watched them, and all of the others multiple times. I am thinking it might be more about keeping the baffle as narrow as possible.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2021, 02:11 pm »
I think I know the answer to these questions before I post but I would love to hear other take on it. I notice Danny Uses only Vertical axis alignment of his drivers on all his speaker designs, unless it is a center channel.

I have heard Danny speak of the timing issues created when the drivers are separated. Are their other issues beside timing created by a vertical arrangement? Like this:

Disregard the actual speaker here, but does a design like this inherently cause timing issues?

thanks

It does not cause timing issues in the on axis response. In the horizontal off axis it can cause some cancellation between the two drivers. It also adds a lot of surface reflections that cause a lot of other problems and drawbacks.