BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)

werd

Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #180 on: 27 May 2010, 11:20 pm »
James

Why dont you just build em a computer that says Bryston on the side. So then can send emails and play WOW on it and play some music and use their precious ipods and what ever other shit they can think of.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #181 on: 27 May 2010, 11:36 pm »
James

Why dont you just build em a computer that says Bryston on the side. So then can send emails and play WOW on it and play some music and use their precious ipods and what ever other shit they can think of.

OK here's a sneak preview of the BDP-1:

james

werd

« Reply #182 on: 27 May 2010, 11:41 pm »
 :lol:

guess i'll be the only one buying it.......

Napalm

« Reply #183 on: 27 May 2010, 11:46 pm »
James

He doesn't need to. Check this:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1007574&navigationPath=32009n100393

Click on Customize, on second customization page you can specify having "Bryston" engraved.

Nap.  :thumb:

P.S. BTW this comes with Blu-Ray and SSD storage. All it needs is a good DAC  :drool:

Napalm

« Reply #184 on: 27 May 2010, 11:53 pm »
OK here's a sneak preview of the BDP-1:
james

Do we get a Canadian model too?

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

werd

« Reply #185 on: 27 May 2010, 11:53 pm »
He doesn't need to. Check this:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1007574&navigationPath=32009n100393

Click on Customize, on second customization page you can specify having "Bryston" engraved.

P.S. BTW this comes with Blu-Ray and SSD storage. All it needs is a good DAC  :drool:

I would go with a Mac pro before i bought that. Both made by scum so i would go with the more suitable unit.

Napalm

« Reply #186 on: 27 May 2010, 11:56 pm »
A mouse for Laundrew:

Napalm

« Reply #187 on: 28 May 2010, 12:03 am »

whanafi

« Reply #188 on: 28 May 2010, 12:18 am »
A player without a display is the same as the Slim Devices Duet. 

I have one, and can use it because I am computer and network literate, but from buyer comments and forum entries, it is obvious that the majority of people just don't get a device that has no obvious moving parts and needs setting up over a network.

To those who are confusing an iPod Touch with a remote control, the application on the iPod is not generating RF or Bluetooth, or any other signal.  It is running an application which "sees" the player across the Ethernet network, and sends commands to an IP address where an application receives them.  iPeng is a good example of this, as is MPod (http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpod/) which James mentioned.

I still don't get the step up that a BDP-1 would give me.  I don't want my music storage co-located with my audio equipment.  I do want a display so I know what state the device is in, and I need a rich user interface to control the system as my collection is over 12K tracks.  Which sounds like a lot, but is only 900 albums. 

I am all for deconstructing things to optimized pieces, but the current Logitech Transporter,  SqueezeCenter software, iPeng/iPod Touch combo has, and continues, to serve me as an ideal player.  I have the Transporter connected to the BP26 as an analog source, and to the BDA-1 as a digital source.  Only had one night to try things out, so can't comment on the difference yet.

I wouldn't want anything less than that, and losing the integration between the list management and server functions is just a step backward.

whanafi

« Reply #189 on: 28 May 2010, 12:22 am »
:idea: LAPTOP :idea:

Now think about this. It has integrated wireless. I could make it automatically post in the "What are you currently listening to?" thread the cover of the album that plays.

PRICELESS!!!!
:tempted:

Nap the Spammer

Already exists.  http://www.last.fm/

Napalm

« Reply #190 on: 28 May 2010, 12:36 am »
I have the Transporter connected to the BP26 as an analog source, and to the BDA-1 as a digital source.  Only had one night to try things out, so can't comment on the difference yet.

I'm all ears. BTW how's your 4B now?

whanafi

« Reply #191 on: 28 May 2010, 12:57 am »
I picked up the 4BSST2 from the dealer the day I was leaving, so no chance to try out.  On the road for a month.

werd

« Reply #192 on: 28 May 2010, 01:26 am »
A player without a display is the same as the Slim Devices Duet. 

I have one, and can use it because I am computer and network literate, but from buyer comments and forum entries, it is obvious that the majority of people just don't get a device that has no obvious moving parts and needs setting up over a network.

To those who are confusing an iPod Touch with a remote control, the application on the iPod is not generating RF or Bluetooth, or any other signal.  It is running an application which "sees" the player across the Ethernet network, and sends commands to an IP address where an application receives them.  iPeng is a good example of this, as is MPod (http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpod/) which James mentioned.

I still don't get the step up that a BDP-1 would give me.  I don't want my music storage co-located with my audio equipment.  I do want a display so I know what state the device is in, and I need a rich user interface to control the system as my collection is over 12K tracks.  Which sounds like a lot, but is only 900 albums. 

I am all for deconstructing things to optimized pieces, but the current Logitech Transporter,  SqueezeCenter software, iPeng/iPod Touch combo has, and continues, to serve me as an ideal player.  I have the Transporter connected to the BP26 as an analog source, and to the BDA-1 as a digital source.  Only had one night to try things out, so can't comment on the difference yet.
I wouldn't want anything less than that, and losing the integration between the list management and server functions is just a step backward.

Hi

Its imo that bdp1 is designed to effectively drive your BDA1 or any other dac. The problem with laptops
or computers (Lousy soundcards) is their inability to drive the bda to decent outputs (they sound weak). Laptops are especially weak through
their usb or optical. The BDP essential becomes the transport, where before a soundcard or laptop played
the transport role.

Think of it as a digital phono stage. Where a cartridge needs voltage gain to drive any preammp
the usb or optical  needs the same treatment. And of course there is a whole bunch of electrical application
used to reduce jitter and keep the noise as low as possible. This is paramount when we start streaming
24 bit recordings.

I havent heard the BDP1 yet but i am sure that this unit is going to match the sonic capabilities of the
BDA1.

Napalm

« Reply #193 on: 28 May 2010, 01:36 am »
[...]
To those who are confusing an iPod Touch with a remote control, the application on the iPod is not generating RF or Bluetooth, or any other signal.  It is running an application which "sees" the player across the Ethernet network, and sends commands to an IP address where an application receives them.
[...]

Let me get this straight: if I don't have a laptop connected to the BDP-1, I cannot use the iPod as a remote?

Nap.  :scratch:

Napalm

« Reply #194 on: 28 May 2010, 01:39 am »
[...] And of course there is a whole bunch of electrical application
used to reduce jitter and keep the noise as low as possible. [...]

Mhhhh.... for the lowest jitter possible, shouldn't you have the DAC driven by the BDP clock? or the other way round? which means the DAC should be part of the BDP-1?

Nap.  :dunno:

skunark

« Reply #195 on: 28 May 2010, 01:51 am »
Let me get this straight: if I don't have a laptop connected to the BDP-1, I cannot use the iPod as a remote?

Nap.  :scratch:

Whether if it's a wire, IR, RF, Bluetooth, Ethernet, the clap-on/clap-off :) or a stick I consider them all remote controls....if it's controlling something remotely   lol

werd

« Reply #196 on: 28 May 2010, 01:54 am »
Mhhhh.... for the lowest jitter possible, shouldn't you have the DAC driven by the BDP clock? or the other way round? which means the DAC should be part of the BDP-1?

Nap.  :dunno:

Its called slaving, where the dac controls the bdp1, there needs to be a return ic to the bdp1 to control the bdp clock. (which there isnt). An all in one box is doable but not with gadgets like a display and crap that causes noise and interferance.

Napalm

« Reply #197 on: 28 May 2010, 02:01 am »
An all in one box is doable but not with gadgets like a display and crap that causes noise and interferance.

There's a whole computer in there with CPU, RAM and everything. Compare that with a LCD display (that can be turned off) and front panel buttons, eh?

Nap. 

werd

« Reply #198 on: 28 May 2010, 02:30 am »
Its just Lynx sound card witha beefed up power supply (basically). You can start tying more crap in with the power supply but at a cost sonically and monetary. How much do you guys want to spend on this? .... $3K. Just look at the price of that Naim music server $3500 bucks with solid state.  Forget it too much....

Napalm

« Reply #199 on: 28 May 2010, 03:36 am »
Mhhh Laundrew is so quiet.... I guess he's busy working on his SDP-1:

Nap.  :shh: