BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)

sfraser

Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #140 on: 25 May 2010, 02:54 pm »
Hi = I was thinking that as solid state storage becomes more inexpensive that might be an option moving forward to offer some in-room local storage?  i agree we do not want to be in the NAS business.

james

I agree the NAS business could/would be a support nightmare. However if your engineers, are looking for NAS devices to test the BDP-1 againest i would suggest a host with freenas installed as a starting point. if your engineers are interested I could fire them off a pre-configured Freenas host for a couple of months. It's a Koolu fanless unit twice the size of pack of cigs w a 60g hard drive.

Cheers,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #141 on: 26 May 2010, 11:51 pm »
Hi Folks,

Ok still experimenting but it looks like we may be able to offer a 2-line display and a set of control buttons on the front of the BDP-1 Digital Player (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous) as well as basic remote functions using the BR2 remote (Play,Pause,Stop,Next,Previous).

Do you think we should offer 2 versions - one with the extras and one without?

james

Napalm

« Reply #142 on: 26 May 2010, 11:59 pm »
Dunno, James. Is the display dimmable?  :eyebrows:

Just kidding.

I wouldn't consider one without BR2/display at all.

Nap.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #143 on: 27 May 2010, 12:10 am »
Hi Folks,

Ok still experimenting but it looks like we may be able to offer a 2-line display and a set of control buttons on the front of the BDP-1 Digital Player (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous) as well as basic remote functions using the BR2 remote (Play,Pause,Stop,Next,Previous).

james
I had an interesting call earlier today with Bell about different internet packages. The representative informed me that I could chose this package or that package or perhaps something different with another package.

“Why do you not make it much simpler and offer the top package to everyone for a much lower price and then everyone would subscribe to it.” I replied.

“Oh sir, but people would not want this.” Was the sales representatives reply :roll:

Be well...

sfraser

« Reply #144 on: 27 May 2010, 12:13 am »
One unit with the display, I think everyone will appreciate the visual feedback when pushing buttons on the display especially when things go wrong. A dimming feature would be nice as well for those who don't want the visual noise.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #145 on: 27 May 2010, 12:16 am »
One unit with the display, I think everyone will appreciate the visual feedback, especially when things go wrong. A dimming feature would be nice as well.

It would have a feature to turn off the display if not required.

james

Napalm

« Reply #146 on: 27 May 2010, 12:22 am »
I think everyone will appreciate the visual feedback when pushing buttons on the display especially when things go wrong.

Actually this is big. It should have some status and diagnostics messages so you could figure out things.

Nap.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #147 on: 27 May 2010, 12:26 am »

james

A feature that I enjoy on my CD player is the ability to dim the display with 3 progressive lighting selections - and also to shut it off. The display will only turn on if you make a selection on the remote and automatically turn itself off again.

:thumb:

Be well...

Napalm

« Reply #148 on: 27 May 2010, 12:28 am »

james

Call that "Pure Direct" or "Pure Sound" mode  :jester:

Sorry couldn't refrain....

Nap.  :lol:

drummermitchell

« Reply #149 on: 27 May 2010, 12:34 am »
BR-2 controlable,display,works for me :thumb:..

skunark

« Reply #150 on: 27 May 2010, 02:07 am »
There are several reasons why current music servers just fail, but the biggest complaint I have is the user interface.   Most are pretty horrendous, and a two-line display with perhaps ten's of thousands of songs, hundreds of playlists, genres, artists and albums can be very cumbersome if that was used to select music to play. 

I do like the idea of the extra control with the remote and buttons, but what exactly will the display show?   File tag information of current song, selected playlist, file format, bit rate, network IP address, etc?  There's not much you can show that would be that useful here is there?   I expect most will just either use the web interface or an iPod to control it. 

If the key concern is folks resistance to purchasing a $200 iPod touch or to use a computer as the remote there are other "MPod" controlling devices out there.  Perhaps a custom Bryston remote would be more desirable which could provide the features of the iPod touch to control the BDP-1, but also extended to control other Bryston gear.

Phil A

« Reply #151 on: 27 May 2010, 02:13 am »
There are several reasons why current music servers just fail, but the biggest complaint I have is the user interface.   Most are pretty horrendous, and a two-line display with perhaps ten's of thousands of songs, hundreds of playlists, genres, artists and albums can be very cumbersome if that was used to select music to play. 

I do like the idea of the extra control with the remote and buttons, but what exactly will the display show?   File tag information of current song, selected playlist, file format, bit rate, network IP address, etc?  There's not much you can show that would be that useful here is there?   I expect most will just either use the web interface or an iPod to control it. 

If the key concern is folks resistance to purchasing a $200 iPod touch or to use a computer as the remote there are other "MPod" controlling devices out there.  Perhaps a custom Bryston remote would be more desirable which could provide the features of the iPod touch to control the BDP-1, but also extended to control other Bryston gear.

I'd have to concur.  User interface is important.

werd

« Reply #152 on: 27 May 2010, 02:28 am »
Hi Folks,

james
HI

just give me one that will get 48/96/192  off my laptop. Everything else would be just a waist of money. All these additives can be had from a music player, totally pointless imo to pay for it.

Napalm

« Reply #153 on: 27 May 2010, 03:15 am »
HI

just give me one that will get 48/96/192  off my laptop. Everything else would be just a waist of money. All these additives can be had from a music player, totally pointless imo to pay for it.

Sure. All you need is an optical cable to connect it to the BDA-1.

Did I understand correctly that the whole purpose of this new box was to *replace* a laptop with something rugged and silent?

Nap.  :dunno:

werd

« Reply #154 on: 27 May 2010, 03:49 am »
^^^^

Nope, idea is to get hirez off your computer or HD. It is my understanding that converting from usb and reclocking is best done away from any storage device and OS.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #155 on: 27 May 2010, 10:17 am »
Hi Folks,

Yes the intent of the BDP-1 is that it typically would be used on a network with a web browser as an interface or Itouch, Ipad etc. (lots more of these devices coming).  So playlists and music management would be managed using the aforementioned interfaces under most circumstances.

The advantage of the 2 line display and front panel interface or BR-2 remote features is that you do not have to be on the network to operate the BDP-1 player. You just power it up - connect it to a DAC (BDA-1) - plug in a USB thumbdrive or harddrive - and press PLAY.  The 2 line display would show Song and Artist and would allow for some minor scrolling through the current attached song playlists. It is not meant to replace a full fledged music management system of which there are plenty out there (ex MINION). Also we are working on our own 'Bryston web music browser' to interface with the BDP-1.

Again think of it as a CD Player but using USB drives instead of CD's. So the typical music server out there now would be more like a CD Jukebox and the BDA-1 would be more like a single disc CD Player.

james

Napalm

« Reply #156 on: 27 May 2010, 10:49 am »
Hi James,

Here's something to test it with:

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-USB/dp/B002VH7P4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274957203&sr=8-1

Ideally one should be able to buy this, connect it to BDP-1 and voila music plays (without preliminary messing with a computer, eh?)

Nap.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #157 on: 27 May 2010, 10:57 am »
^^^^
[1] idea is to get hirez off your computer
[2] or HD.

[1] that's easily and effectively achieved with an optical cable
[2] now we're talking.

Nap.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #158 on: 27 May 2010, 11:16 am »
Mhhh.... let's think about a plain one for a while (no display no buttons no BR2). Wouldn't this be perceived as yet another iPod accessory????

Or maybe this actually would be a good idea:

Scenario1
Salesman: And here we have the Bryston disk player, a network enabled media player for hi rez files such as FLAC
Client:  :scratch:

Scenario2
Salesman: And here we have this great iPod accessory that will enable it to play uncompressed and hi-rez files
Client:  :drool:

Nap.  :dunno:

nikon

« Reply #159 on: 27 May 2010, 12:25 pm »
James

Would you consider a 'base' version with display and control buttons only and a version with display and control buttons and built in DAC (AKA the BCD-1) for folks who only want single source in system without additional expense of external DAC ...