« Reply #80 on: 7 May 2010, 12:08 am »
Hi James

Any chance of changing it to?,

Brystons Magnificent  Hi-Werd length Emporium player

:surrender:  Done!

Napalm

Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #81 on: 7 May 2010, 12:21 am »
Please lets get back to beating me up over the Bryston Digital Player idea.  :cry:

Nah, we're not beating you up, we're trying to be useful and bring up all sort of (potential) issues just in case Bryston missed some....  :angel:

Sometimes it may look confrontational but that just adds some spice to the conversation  :lol:

Nap.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #82 on: 7 May 2010, 01:17 am »
Just remembered.... that since you will be using Linux on the BDP-1.... you'll be subjected to the GPL style licenses.... http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html....

Are you prepared to hear about BDP-1 software "mods"? Will you encourage this, be neutral, or discourage (Tivo style)?

Napalm

« Reply #83 on: 7 May 2010, 02:33 pm »
I'm already thinking of some mods to add tone controls &  DSP effects.

Think about it guys. It would be the first time you could have tone controls on a Bryston  :icon_twisted:

Nap.  :eyebrows:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #84 on: 7 May 2010, 05:24 pm »
Just remembered.... that since you will be using Linux on the BDP-1.... you'll be subjected to the GPL style licenses.... http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html....

Are you prepared to hear about BDP-1 software "mods"? Will you encourage this, be neutral, or discourage (Tivo style)?

Hi Nap:

Our approach has been to lock down the system to ensure it will start.

It has been propose that we could offer an unlocked version as well with notes to users interested in playing with it for a fee (to cover the cf card and handling), with the proviso that if you toast it you’re on their own- and that the locked version will plug in and work . Further that we want people to contribute back any improvements they make?

james

Napalm

« Reply #85 on: 7 May 2010, 07:52 pm »
Hi Nap:

It has been propose that we could offer an unlocked version as well with notes to users interested in playing with it for a fee (to cover the cf card and handling), with the proviso that if you toast it you’re on their own- and that the locked version will plug in and work . Further that we want people to contribute back any improvements they make?

james

If your software engineers provide an easy way to play with it - like some hooks so I could easily insert my own software modules in the playback chain - I would definitely be interested in the hackable version (losing warranty of course).

The first thing I would try to do would be a real-time on-the-fly upsampling module. So I could for example see how Bezier curves could work instead of using the built-in upsampling in the BDA-1.

The "hackers" are actually bound by the same GPL license. Most likely they will contribute their work back - at least for show off reasons.

IMHO the code itself that Bryston puts together would be pretty much useless without the underlying hardware. Since you are into selling the hardware not the software, it won't matter for sales if the software is open sourced or not.

Napalm

« Reply #86 on: 8 May 2010, 02:33 pm »
Just remembered - there are CDs that actually don't have "pauses" between multiple tracks. It's just one long continuous soundtrack and the TOC directs the player to different locations inside it.

What happens when we rip them for the BDP-1? If we rip the whole CD as one big wav file, will the BDP be able to understand a .cue file in the same folder?

If we rip in smaller .wav files, there would be some discontinuities (pauses/clicks/whatever) when the player jumps from one to the next one?

Would it be able to understand an audio CD ripped as an ISO file?

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #87 on: 8 May 2010, 02:51 pm »
Just remembered - there are CDs that actually don't have "pauses" between multiple tracks. It's just one long continuous soundtrack and the TOC directs the player to different locations inside it.

What happens when we rip them for the BDP-1? If we rip the whole CD as one big wav file, will the BDP be able to understand a .cue file in the same folder?

If we rip in smaller .wav files, there would be some discontinuities (pauses/clicks/whatever) when the player jumps from one to the next one?

Would it be able to understand an audio CD ripped as an ISO file?

Nap.

Hi Nap - not sure what your asking - nothing gets ripped to the Player - you rip the CD to your computer?

james

Napalm

« Reply #88 on: 8 May 2010, 04:04 pm »

Hi Nap - not sure what your asking - nothing gets ripped to the Player - you rip the CD to your computer?

james

Agreed, Sir! So let's say I'm ripping them on a PC using EAC. Then I'm copying the files to a HD and connect the HD to the BDP-1 via USB. I think this is one of the standard ways to use the BDP-1.

Let's talk about EAC for now and the format we chose is .wav.

I can click on two buttons to rip the files.

The first one on the left vertical bar says WAV and it will rip each track as a separate .wav file. Now the problem is that if I rip something like Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here", where there is no pause (silence) between tracks, when I play them back I could get pauses (silences) added by the media player (computer, mp3 player or whatever).

Then there's the other button that says IMG. That's the interesting one. As it will rip the whole album as a single huge .WAV file, then save the CD TOC in a .cue file. So you can play the .wav file without interruptions. But you can also have "track fwd" based on the .cue file.

So my question would be if the BDP-1 will be able to understand and use pairs of .wav/.cue files as produced by EAC.

I'm attaching a screenshot where you can see the buttons and also for the pleasure of displaying some irreverent track titles  :icon_twisted: Just in case you guys have any doubt, I do NOT listen to classical music only  :eyebrows:

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

Phil A

« Reply #89 on: 8 May 2010, 04:32 pm »
Nap - are these the type of issues you are talking about?  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80929.0

Napalm

« Reply #90 on: 8 May 2010, 04:39 pm »
Nap - are these the type of issues you are talking about?  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80929.0

I believe so. My personal solution is to rip the whole CD as a single huge wav file. But then I'm lucky - my Sony mp3 player can deal with it nicely.

BTW any other guys here that use uncompressed audio with their portable mp3 players?

Napalm

« Reply #91 on: 8 May 2010, 05:06 pm »
I've just registered the "Brystube" trademark.  :lol:

You guys watch out for the Napalm Brystube software module that will real-time process the BDP-1 output to give you that euphonic tube sound through your SS gear  :eyebrows:

James is opening Pandora's box  :icon_twisted:

werd

« Reply #92 on: 8 May 2010, 05:09 pm »
Hi Nap:

james

:icon_lol: This is how Macintosh started out... totally hackable, you guys are going to end up like Macintosh are ya? TTL control freaks....

brucek

« Reply #93 on: 8 May 2010, 05:15 pm »
........ Now the problem is that if I rip something like Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here", where there is no pause (silence) between tracks, when I play them back I could get pauses (silences) added by the media player (computer, mp3 player or whatever).

Then there's the other button that says IMG. That's the interesting one. As it will rip the whole album as a single huge .WAV file, then save the CD TOC in a .cue file. So you can play the .wav file without interruptions. But you can also have "track fwd" based on the .cue file.

So my question would be if the BDP-1 will be able to understand and use pairs of .wav/.cue files as produced by EAC.

EAC has options for gap control - even to ignore the gaps (under pull-down Action / Leave out GAPS).

Read about EAC gap detection and cue sheets here (click on GAPS and CUE sheets).

I doubt the BDP will read cue sheets.

Why are you using WAV, when Flac is smaller and the same quality?

brucek

Napalm

« Reply #94 on: 8 May 2010, 05:20 pm »
[...]
Why are you using WAV, when Flac is smaller and the same quality?
brucek

Because it's pretty much universal and available storage space is huge and cheap these days.

Napalm

« Reply #95 on: 8 May 2010, 05:23 pm »
:icon_lol: This is how Macintosh started out... totally hackable, you guys are going to end up like Macintosh are ya? TTL control freaks....

The only valid reason to lock it down is if you want to deal with DRM/copy protected material. Like the PS3. You don't want to have a mod that saves blu-ray games and movies on the local hard disk.

But then the BDP-1 has nothing to do with protecting DRM material, so why not? Gets good PR too these days  :thumb:

brucek

« Reply #96 on: 8 May 2010, 05:50 pm »
Because it's pretty much universal and available storage space is huge and cheap these days.

Fair enough, but your fingers must be numb from manually entering song information, since wav doesn't support embedded tags.

brucek

Napalm

« Reply #97 on: 8 May 2010, 06:09 pm »
Fair enough, but your fingers must be numb from manually entering song information, since wav doesn't support embedded tags.

brucek

The associated .cue files can store some of that information. But then I don't care much about album art and so on. Just the music is fine for me  :thumb:

Nap.

werd

« Reply #98 on: 8 May 2010, 09:41 pm »
I believe so. My personal solution is to rip the whole CD as a single huge wav file. But then I'm lucky - my Sony mp3 player can deal with it nicely.

BTW any other guys here that use uncompressed audio with their portable mp3 players?

Wow Nap, can't believe you bag out on Mac and then buy a Sony. Sony are far worse than Mac in being underhanded. Remember the Systems internal rookit fiascol?.

Mag

« Reply #99 on: 8 May 2010, 09:57 pm »
That's what's holding me back. If I rip everything to HD there might be a rootkit in a cd I don't know about. Which will eventually make the computer unusable. If it infects a 2 TB drive I would  :bawl:, after the 2 months work to rip everything.