BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)

Mag

Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #40 on: 4 May 2010, 06:42 pm »
>>There is no 'streaming' going on with the Ethernet connection.  Streaming has issues with noise and distortion if it’s in the same box (all in one approach) and streaming hi-resolution files is a serious problem - lots of drop outs etc.<<

So then you are basically transferring the file on your computer hard drive/s to a hard drive in the BDP-1, to convert to wave?  :smoke:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 4 May 2010, 06:48 pm »
>>There is no 'streaming' going on with the Ethernet connection.  Streaming has issues with noise and distortion if it’s in the same box (all in one approach) and streaming hi-resolution files is a serious problem - lots of drop outs etc.<<

So then you are basically transferring the file on your computer hard drive/s to a hard drive in the BDP-1, to convert to wave?  :smoke:

Hi MAG,

No there is no harddrive transfer - you are loading your music files on a USB thumbdrive or a USB harddrive (from your main computer) which is then connected to the BDP-1 and the BDP-1 accesses the file directly from the USB.

It sounds more complicated then it is - just think of the BDP-1 as a CD Player but instead of a CD you use a USB thumbdrive or USB harddrive connected directly to the player.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #42 on: 4 May 2010, 06:53 pm »

Mag,

James just explained that the Ethernet connection is only used to connect your PC to the BDP to provide access to what is on your USB music storage decvice that is also connected to the BDP i.e. hard drive or thumb drive.  Since the topic of discussion in the post I quoted was the dismay at the loss of convenience to see what is on the drive due to having to run a cable from a distance through the house, it begged my question why can't the connection be wireless since it is ordinary data and not streaming music files being transported.  I don't see how this would be any different than me sending a print job from a laptop on my wireless network that is downstairs to a printer on the same network upstairs.

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 4 May 2010, 07:07 pm »
Mag,

James just explained that the Ethernet connection is only used to connect your PC to the BDP to provide access to what is on your USB music storage decvice that is also connected to the BDP i.e. hard drive or thumb drive.  Since the topic of discussion in the post I quoted was the dismay at the loss of convenience to see what is on the drive due to having to run a cable from a distance through the house, it begged my question why can't the connection be wireless since it is ordinary data and not streaming music files being transported.  I don't see how this would be any different than me sending a print job from a laptop on my wireless network that is downstairs to a printer on the same network upstairs.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Because then you would have to have a wireless receiver in the BDP-1 and here we go again with noise issues.

james

werd

« Reply #44 on: 4 May 2010, 07:07 pm »
As a long time Squeezebox user (since the SliMP3), I'm afraid the current description is not enough for me to give up a Transporter with Duet controller and/or iPod Touch with iPeng.  Managing the music files when you are in the thousands is non-trivial, so the integration with the file store and organizer does come into play both for convenience and accessibility.

I bought the BDA-1 based on reviews and comments (not delivered yet), and will attach it between my BP26 and the Transporter to give me a choice of DACs.  The Transporter sounds great to me, so it will be interesting to see if the BDA-1 makes an audible difference.

I deliberately stayed away from a computer/sound card combo regardless of operating system.

Just don't get the BDP-1 value proposition yet.

when you get the BDA you will see why the BDP is interesting to me. Its an extension of the BDA and I am hoping will match the integrity of the BDA sound.

I believe the whole philosphy of the BDP is to take the files, reclock to the BDA while isolating
your computer system from your hifi. Since the BDP is made by  Bryston
its going to be the best mate for the BDA since it will probably act
slaved to the BDA clock. And it will look like the BDA so it will be slick.

Thats basically it for me. The only real reason i want this is because the
BDA rocks er pretty good and this is its match.....you'll see!!

Napalm

« Reply #45 on: 4 May 2010, 07:10 pm »
Hi Bill,

Because then you would have to have a wireless receiver in the BDP-1 and here we go again with noise issues.

james

But then you could always connect something like this:

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=741

to the ethernet port of the BDP-1 and configure it in "ETHERNET TO WIRELESS" adapter mode.

So basically now your BDP-1 is wireless enabled  :eyebrows:

Nap.  :tempted:

95Dyna

« Reply #46 on: 4 May 2010, 07:20 pm »
But then you could always connect something like this:

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=741

to the ethernet port of the BDP-1 and configure it in "ETHERNET TO WIRELESS" adapter mode.

So basically now your BDP-1 is wireless enabled  :eyebrows:

Thank you nap.  That's what I was thinking, that there should be a couple different ways to provide a wireless ethernet connection from the PC to the BDP.  It could also be built in at the factory much like wireless capability is built in to a laptop without any external adapter.  Again, the purpose is to gain access to information about what is on the USB drive connected to the BDP and not to stream the music files which is the realm of the USB drive.  To me this helps mitigate the "loss of convenience" factor of not being able to navigate the contents of the USB drive due to the absense of a display on the BDP.  That is assuming you have a wireless laptop.  Like James stated earlier, the design goal of the BDP is to do one thing and do it well so that even this application must be outboard and third party.

werd

« Reply #47 on: 4 May 2010, 07:29 pm »
Thank you nap.  That's what I was thinking, that there should be a couple different ways to provide a wireless ethernet connection from the PC to the BDP.  It could also be built in at the factory much like wireless capability is built in to a laptop without any external adapter.  Again, the purpose is to gain access to information about what is on the USB drive connected top the BP and not to stream the music files which is the realm of the USB drive.  To me this helps mitigate the "loss of convenience" factor of not being able to navigate the contents of the USB drive due to the absense of a display on the BDP.  That is assuming you have a wireless laptop where you download and store your music files.  Like James stated earlier, the design goal of the BDP is to do one thing and do it well so that even this application must be outboard and third party.

Hi Dyna

You got good gear, why would you  want to muck up your soundstage with gate glare for the convenience of a display?.
You computer or what ever you will be using in my estimation will offer all the convenience you need. THis piece is just
a Branch of the dac. It really is an expensive soundcard but its been properly implemented to mate with your BDA and isolate
system from the comp. And you get 192 for the major enthusiast. Not many dacs will stream 192 and the bda does. I am looking
forward to this.

It would be nice to see a 192 recording on dvd come with this unit as a promo to get people started on it.  :eyebrows:

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #48 on: 4 May 2010, 07:34 pm »
Hi James,

Have you considered a BDA-BDP combo unit?
Containing some/all of the connection types found on both units, only housed in one box.

For that matter would this type of device be feasible?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 4 May 2010, 07:40 pm »
Hi James,

Have you considered a BDA-BDP combo unit?
Containing some/all of the connection types found on both units, only housed in one box.

For that matter would this type of device be feasible?

Hi JRace,

Yes it would be possible but we felt since the DAC is already out there adding the Player would be more cost effective for our customers.

james

Napalm

« Reply #50 on: 4 May 2010, 07:45 pm »
Thank you nap.  That's what I was thinking, that there should be a couple different ways to provide a wireless ethernet connection from the PC to the BDP.  It could also be built in at the factory much like wireless capability is built in to a laptop without any external adapter.  Again, the purpose is to gain access to information about what is on the USB drive connected to the BDP and not to stream the music files which is the realm of the USB drive.  To me this helps mitigate the "loss of convenience" factor of not being able to navigate the contents of the USB drive due to the absense of a display on the BDP.  That is assuming you have a wireless laptop.  Like James stated earlier, the design goal of the BDP is to do one thing and do it well so that even this application must be outboard and third party.

There's a Linksys small unit that does this too:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/products/WAP610N

Both brands are widely available (Best Buy / Futureshop / most indie computer shops). Would be nice if Bryston checks at least one of them for compatibility.

There are 2 good reasons for not having the wireless adapter inside the Bryston box. One is the RF circuitry. The other is planned obsolescence. The standards are (very fast) moving here too. So better to have to replace a $69 external adapter than fight with endless patches or even going into a dead end.

Also if I don't need wireless I would not connect one at all and will have less electronic noise around.

Nap.

a1p1

« Reply #51 on: 4 May 2010, 07:49 pm »
when you get the BDA you will see why the BDP is interesting to me. Its an extension of the BDA and I am hoping will match the integrity of the BDA sound.

I believe the whole philosphy of the BDP is to take the files, reclock to the BDA while isolating
your computer system from your hifi. Since the BDP is made by  Bryston
its going to be the best mate for the BDA since it will probably act
slaved to the BDA clock. And it will look like the BDA so it will be slick.

Thats basically it for me. The only real reason i want this is because the
BDA rocks er pretty good and this is its match.....you'll see!!

I wish the BDP-1 would be slaved to the DAC, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. 

Hi Aaron,

No slaving at this point although the jitter numbers I am measuring on the player are incredibly low.

james

werd

« Reply #52 on: 4 May 2010, 07:52 pm »
I wish the BDP-1 would be slaved to the DAC, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
I know but its going be matched as far as clock freq. Thats why i said act and not  is...

Napalm

« Reply #53 on: 4 May 2010, 07:56 pm »
Hi JRace,

Yes it would be possible but we felt since the DAC is already out there adding the Player would be more cost effective for our customers.

james

Not for me, I don't have the DAC yet.... planning for this fall.... I guess a single chassis could make the whole thing more cost effective....

How about having an optional DAC board (based on the BDA-1) installable into it at factory? Like with the preamps?

Or.... you could merge the designs... have one single chassis... that can come with DAC or media player or both inside..... I can see some savings in manufacturing costs too.....  :wink:

95Dyna

« Reply #54 on: 4 May 2010, 07:58 pm »

Hi Dyna

You got good gear, why would you  want to muck up your soundstage with gate glare for the convenience of a display?.
You computer or what ever you will be using in my estimation will offer all the convenience you need. THis piece is just
a Branch of the dac. It really is an expensive soundcard but its been properly implemented to mate with your BDA and isolate
system from the comp. And you get 192 for the major enthusiast. Not many dacs will stream 192 and the bda does. I am looking
forward to this.

It would be nice to see a 192 recording on dvd come with this unit as a promo to get people started on it.  :eyebrows:

Hi werd,

Listen up since I already had the same converstaion with mag:  I'm not talking about the music streaming from the USB drive through the BDP to the BDA.  I'm also not asking for a display on the BDP.  I'm talking about the Ethernet connection that James has stated is only there to provide access to information about what is stored on the USB drive.  The entire conversation is in response to those who are calling for a display for the convenience factor.  I'm merely suggesting that a wireless ethernet connection will allow the convenience of a display independent of the BDP on your wireless laptop.  You are basically agreeing with me if you read my posts and the quotes they reference carefully. 

BTW, also trying to help James overcome an objection to the absense of the display being voiced here (sales 101--been doing it all my life). 

Regards,

Bill

Napalm

« Reply #55 on: 4 May 2010, 08:12 pm »
The entire conversation is in response to those who are calling for a display for the convenience factor.

Dr. Bill,

There are 2 camps here - the luddites and the propellerheads.

I'm with the luddites. I want it just as a replacement for a CD transport. Thus I see no reason for ethernet, iPhone and web browser. I want it to have a 2 line display, front panel buttons and work with BR2.

Then there are the propellerheads. They want it to integrate with their wireless home network, iPhone and other gadgets. They, of course, don't care about front panel display, buttons, or BR2.

There's no right or wrong camp. So what do you do? Accommodate none, both, or only one of them?

Nap.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #56 on: 4 May 2010, 08:19 pm »
Hi werd,

Listen up since I already had the same converstaion with mag:  I'm not talking about the music streaming from the USB drive through the BDP to the BDA.  I'm also not asking for a display on the BDP.  I'm talking about the Ethernet connection that James has stated is only there to provide access to information about what is stored on the USB drive.  The entire conversation is in response to those who are calling for a display for the convenience factor.  I'm merely suggesting that a wireless ethernet connection will allow the convenience of a display independent of the BDP on your wireless laptop.  You are basically agreeing with me if you read my posts and the quotes they reference carefully. 

BTW, also trying to help James overcome an objection to the absense of the display being voiced here (sales 101--been doing it all my life). 

Regards,

Bill

Yah okok, i didnt read it... i will punch myself in the face for ya..

mdconnelly

« Reply #57 on: 4 May 2010, 08:28 pm »

There is no 'streaming' going on with the Ethernet connection.  Streaming has issues with noise and distortion if it’s in the same box (all in one approach) and streaming hi-resolution files is a serious problem - lots of drop outs etc.

The Ethernet connection is 'ONLY' to allow you access to what's on the USB drive(s) that is (are) plugged into the BDP-1 digital player using the itouch or a web browser on your computer as the UI.

So for instance I have a small MAC Laptop that I use as my UI and I can access and manage the music files on the BDP-1 digital box from anywhere in the house using the wireless home network.

james

But, but, but.... in the 1st post you say...

It brings in the digital files from a USB device (the CD of the 21’st century) or an external hard drive or (NAS) drive over a hardwired Ethernet cable.

That seems to say something different than only serving files from the attached USB drive.  Sorry to be so dense but I feel like I'm missing something here... :scratch:

Another question.... what UI on your Mac (or from an iPhone) are you using to access and manage the music?  Is it just a browser interface to something being served from the BDP-1? 

tfroncek

« Reply #58 on: 4 May 2010, 08:31 pm »
James,

I must be missing something here.  In order to put new songs on the USB hard drive I have to disconnect the USB hard drive from the BDP-1 and then take this USB drive to my computer to add the new songs, then take it back to the BDP-1.  Is this right?  If so that is a lot of inconvenience.

Tim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 4 May 2010, 09:33 pm »
James,

I must be missing something here.  In order to put new songs on the USB hard drive I have to disconnect the USB hard drive from the BDP-1 and then take this USB drive to my computer to add the new songs, then take it back to the BDP-1.  Is this right?  If so that is a lot of inconvenience.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes that is correct.  I really do not see it as much of an inconvenience though as I have a 500 gig USB hard drive permently attached to the BDP-1 with thousands of files and I use the USB thumbdrive as a portable drive to try different files etc when I want. Also when my buddy comes over he brings his thumbdrive with him with his favorite songs loaded and away we go!

james