BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)

srb

Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #20 on: 3 May 2010, 10:14 pm »
But you haven't indicated the protocol that the BNC will carry - unbalanced AES/EBU or S/PDIF?

There wouldn't be much point unless it was S/PDIF, which I assume it is.

Steve

Napalm

« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2010, 10:44 pm »
Mhhh.. How about it looks, feels and works similar to the BCD-1, with some notable exceptions:

1. it does not have a CD tray; instead it has an USB port for connecting a pocket HD

2. it does not have analog outputs; instead it has digital ones.

3. it displays folder/file name instead of CD track number;

Apple remote, networking etc are a bonus.

Sounds good folks?

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2010, 11:09 pm »
But you haven't indicated the protocol that the BNC will carry - unbalanced AES/EBU or S/PDIF?

brucek

Sorry - SPDIF, - 75 ohms.

james

werd

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2010, 11:10 pm »
^^^^

Hi Napalm

Yes  :thumb:

it also utilizes an excellent sound card, built to very high standards in keeping digital noise out of the power supply and it  streams 192khz. And with its bal digital out it can drive the bda or any other dac np from quite a distance so your comp can be in different room even.

its awesome, can t wait

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2010, 11:25 pm »
Yes you can.... I do it everyday with my Slimdevices Transporter on its ONE LINE DISPLAY.

I have three main categories (blues/jazz/rock) which are actual sub-directories in the computer and then I can drill down by artist and then album (and track)

With 2-3 presses of the remote I can navigate to any album/song I have.... and  I have over 1000 cd's. And its actually faster than using the GUI.

I am with Anonamemouse on this... I will not consider the BDP-1 if I cant navigate my music from a built in display.

It  is up to me do decide if I use just the display or spend extra money and time on a GUI display... but by not offering the option the  BDP-1 will lose potential customers.

Maybe its a generational thing.... most younger people have never seen a non-gui interface/command line interface so having to use a device without a GUI is physically/mentally challenging?

I would like to say that it doesnt need any buttons on it.... the Transporter has a million of them and I never use them. sell the BDP-1 with a display that you can use for navigation, no buttons and two remotes.

Peter

I have to concur completely with this.  I do have a laptop I barely use but don't want to drag it out just to play music.  I'm thinking about the Logitech Squeezebox Touch for this reason - yes it will only do 24/96 vs. 24/196 and may not give one 100% of the sound quality but I can hook it to my network and navigate.  I am going to wait a little and think about it and I doubt (hi-rez) downloads will constitute (at least for a bit) enough of my music collection to warrant it.

werd

« Reply #25 on: 3 May 2010, 11:39 pm »
^^^^

I know i have considered that too, the amount of hirez recording, does it warrant it? I was considering a cheaper usb/coax adapter that will stream 96khz for that reason. I like my usb into the BDA but i prefer the coax that these cheaper units give you.

having said that i had the same apprehension about the BDA over other a lot cheaper models like the Benchmark dacs. The Benchmark is nice but after listening the to BDA i am glad i've got it. This is why i think the BDP1 will drive the BDA will analogue clarity. 

Napalm

« Reply #26 on: 3 May 2010, 11:39 pm »
Since James has stirred the hornets nest, let me make a name for it too.  :wink:

Since we had BCD-1 for the CD player..... how about BHD-1 for Hard Disk player? Would be easier to explain what it is ("it's like a CD transport except it plays from a hard disk").... and people could conveniently mistake HD for High Definition too....  :icon_twisted:

Nap.  :thumb:

P.S. James if you end up naming it BHD-1 you'll owe selling me the one with serial number 666. So I could show it to Laundrew and make him green.  :green:

KeithA

« Reply #27 on: 4 May 2010, 02:29 am »
Yes you can.... I do it everyday with my Slimdevices Transporter on its ONE LINE DISPLAY.

I have three main categories (blues/jazz/rock) which are actual sub-directories in the computer and then I can drill down by artist and then album (and track)

With 2-3 presses of the remote I can navigate to any album/song I have.... and  I have over 1000 cd's. And its actually faster than using the GUI.

I am with Anonamemouse on this... I will not consider the BDP-1 if I cant navigate my music from a built in display.

It  is up to me do decide if I use just the display or spend extra money and time on a GUI display... but by not offering the option the  BDP-1 will lose potential customers.

Maybe its a generational thing.... most younger people have never seen a non-gui interface/command line interface so having to use a device without a GUI is physically/mentally challenging?

I would like to say that it doesnt need any buttons on it.... the Transporter has a million of them and I never use them. sell the BDP-1 with a display that you can use for navigation, no buttons and two remotes.

Peter

I know there are those in this hobby who will go to the extremes to make things signal paths 'pure' (and that's o/k), etc., but for me there still needs to be a covenience factor, even at the price of a negligible reduction in performance.

I run a Transporter into my BDA-1 (using a Duet Controller) and would not change to buy the BDP-1 as described in this thread.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 4 May 2010, 02:41 am »
^^^^^

Hi All,

Yes it really does come down to the level of performance you're looking for.  Covenience has compromises.  I have gone the route of the all in one server and have 3 systems currently - they are great for what they are but not at the level of performance the BDP-1 / BDA-1 will achieve based on my listening tests so far.  To each his own.

james

skunark

« Reply #30 on: 4 May 2010, 04:24 am »
I'm excited!  Just a bit concerned about file format support as FLAC, WAV and AIFF is probably the main three for high resolution files but there are two formats much more common for music files that aren't hi-rez.

Jim

JohnnyB

« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2010, 12:21 pm »
For those of us with SP2's, will the BDP-1 be able to be an input, 96/24, to the SP2?

Then I can save some expense and accept a slightly reduced music quality.

Thanks, JohnnyB

Robert D

« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2010, 03:48 pm »
James picture food always welcome

can you post a Pic

Robert

Napalm

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2010, 04:01 pm »
IIRC it's still a prototype, it might look like this:

Nap.  :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 4 May 2010, 04:05 pm »
For those of us with SP2's, will the BDP-1 be able to be an input, 96/24, to the SP2?

Then I can save some expense and accept a slightly reduced music quality.

Thanks, JohnnyB

Yes the SP2 would decode the 96/24 digital signal from the Player.

james

Mag

« Reply #35 on: 4 May 2010, 04:22 pm »
Okay James I'm trying to understand the concept of the BDP-1. Would it be similar to an external soundcard only with better circutry? I'm not as computer savy as others, but I like being on the cutting edge, ahead of the Joneses.

I'm thinking of getting a 2 terabyte hard drive. I figure it can hold 1500 cds uncompressed or 15,000 to 30,000 song. That should be enough storage for my music collection. :smoke:

whanafi

« Reply #36 on: 4 May 2010, 04:40 pm »
As a long time Squeezebox user (since the SliMP3), I'm afraid the current description is not enough for me to give up a Transporter with Duet controller and/or iPod Touch with iPeng.  Managing the music files when you are in the thousands is non-trivial, so the integration with the file store and organizer does come into play both for convenience and accessibility.

I bought the BDA-1 based on reviews and comments (not delivered yet), and will attach it between my BP26 and the Transporter to give me a choice of DACs.  The Transporter sounds great to me, so it will be interesting to see if the BDA-1 makes an audible difference.

I deliberately stayed away from a computer/sound card combo regardless of operating system.

Just don't get the BDP-1 value proposition yet.

mdconnelly

« Reply #37 on: 4 May 2010, 05:49 pm »
I tend to think that we're all driven by sound quality.  As much as I love my SB Touch (and it does sound great), if the BDP-1 would substantially improve sound quality, I would be at least curious if not ready to buy.   

But for me, having to run a long ethernet cable from my NAS upstairs to my audio system downstairs just isn't going to happen, which leaves a USB-based hard disk.  James, is the sound quality of the BDP-1 from USB any different than via ethernet?   Can USB really stream 24/192 adequately?

The lack of a built-in UI is a bit disconcerting, but then, technology marches on and sooner or later we'll all have iPhones, iPads or the equivalents readily available so that concerns me far less.   But, is the BDP-1 just playing music out of the the file directory?  What tools are provided for playlists, random play, by genre, search, etc?   Like it or not, that convenience and functionality is hard to give up once you've had a taste of it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 4 May 2010, 06:10 pm »
James, is the sound quality of the BDP-1 from USB any different than via ethernet?   Can USB really stream 24/192 adequately?

Hi Mike,

There is no 'streaming' going on with the Ethernet connection.  Streaming has issues with noise and distortion if it’s in the same box (all in one approach) and streaming hi-resolution files is a serious problem - lots of drop outs etc.

The Ethernet connection is 'ONLY' to allow you access to what's on the USB drive(s) that is (are) plugged into the BDP-1 digital player using the itouch or a web browser on your computer as the UI.

So for instance I have a small MAC Laptop that I use as my UI and I can access and manage the music files on the BDP-1 digital box from anywhere in the house using the wireless home network.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #39 on: 4 May 2010, 06:41 pm »

But for me, having to run a long ethernet cable from my NAS upstairs to my audio system downstairs just isn't going to happen, which leaves a USB-based hard disk. 

Maybe this is a dumb question but why can't the Ethernet connection on the BDP-1 be wireless?