BDP pi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP pi
« Reply #80 on: 5 Mar 2016, 08:50 am »
Hi James!

I take it there will be no dedicated audio board inside like in the BDP-2 and the original BDP-1 and that all processing will be done on the Raspberry itself? If that is the case, how did you manage to implement coaxial and optical outputs, by adding a "daughter board" of a sort or by modifying the Raspberry itself?

One other thing, now that Bryston is trying to broaden it's appeal to younger public, you mentioned a miniature 1/3rd size headphone amplifier would be a nice addition to the Bryston "mini" range. Is this amplifier going to become a reality at some point?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I believe the Raspberry has the connections you mentioned on the main board. We did do some modifications there though.

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #81 on: 5 Mar 2016, 11:00 am »
Hi Antun

I believe the Raspberry has the connections you mentioned on the main board. We did do some modifications there though.

James

Thanks James! :thumb:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #82 on: 5 Mar 2016, 03:15 pm »
Would have been nice to have had a USB port on the front like the other player.

The raspberry pi board doesn't really allow for this, we had thought about running a cable out the back to plug into one of the rear facing USB ports, but thought it might look a little  hokey.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 5 Mar 2016, 03:20 pm »
Hi James!

I take it there will be no dedicated audio board inside like in the BDP-2 and the original BDP-1 and that all processing will be done on the Raspberry itself? If that is the case, how did you manage to implement coaxial and optical outputs, by adding a "daughter board" of a sort or by modifying the Raspberry itself?

One other thing, now that Bryston is trying to broaden it's appeal to younger public, you mentioned a miniature 1/3rd size headphone amplifier would be a nice addition to the Bryston "mini" range. Is this amplifier going to become a reality at some point?

Cheers!
Antun

One of the benefits of using an arm based solution is that they have these massive GPIO headers and some of them (like the one we are using) are capable of outputing a I2S signal. So we partnered with HiFi Berry who already has a ton of experience with this to build a digital output device for th BDP-π.

Silverbullet

« Reply #84 on: 5 Mar 2016, 07:39 pm »
Are you using the latest pi board that has Bluetooth and wifi built-in?

Krutsch

« Reply #85 on: 5 Mar 2016, 07:42 pm »
One of the benefits of using an arm based solution is that they have these massive GPIO headers and some of them (like the one we are using) are capable of outputing a I2S signal. So we partnered with HiFi Berry who already has a ton of experience with this to build a digital output device for th BDP-π.

All that sounds wonderful... I want one. When will this be available?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #86 on: 6 Mar 2016, 02:16 am »
Are you using the latest pi board that has Bluetooth and wifi built-in?

Likely, but it depends on availability, it's also sitting in a steal enclosure and I can't imagine we are going to change our stance on wireless.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #87 on: 6 Mar 2016, 02:20 am »
All that sounds wonderful... I want one. When will this be available?

could be as early as 2 months

Rocket

« Reply #88 on: 6 Mar 2016, 02:59 am »
Hi,

Do you think the performance will equal the BDP 1?  I think it will be great to have a more affordable product for the masses to purchase.  I'm very happy with my BDP 1.

Cheers Rod

vonnie123

« Reply #89 on: 6 Mar 2016, 07:45 am »

I2S over HDMI cable...?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #90 on: 6 Mar 2016, 03:14 pm »
Hi,

Do you think the performance will equal the BDP 1?  I think it will be great to have a more affordable product for the masses to purchase.  I'm very happy with my BDP 1.

Cheers Rod

Faster then the BDP-1, not as fast as the BDP-2

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #91 on: 6 Mar 2016, 03:18 pm »
I2S over HDMI cable...?

Currently HDMI audio is limited to 48Khz/16bit, we may invest some time into unlocking this; but with USB already available it's a very low priority for us.

Marius

« Reply #92 on: 6 Mar 2016, 03:40 pm »
Currently HDMI audio is limited to 48Khz/16bit, we may invest some time into unlocking this; but with USB already available it's a very low priority for us.

Chris,

I take it you speak about hdmi audio on the bdp-PI only being 16 bit? HDMI audio from sacd/bluray fed into the BDA3 is 24 bit isn't it?

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #93 on: 6 Mar 2016, 08:03 pm »

Chris,

I take it you speak about hdmi audio on the bdp-PI only being 16 bit? HDMI audio from sacd/bluray fed into the BDA3 is 24 bit isn't it?

Cheers,
Marius

Correct, there doesn't seem to be much out there about it but the pi fundation apparently limits it due the integrated analog section will cause a kernel panic if it goes higher.  There is some info on how to recompile the kernel modules to get around this, but you still have to be careful not to output to the analog section if you do this.  Disabling the modules for the analog section also disables the audio for the hdmi so we would need to modify our software that configure audio devices as well.  Ultimately there aren't to many HDMI two channel DAC's out there and the ones that do exist also have a nice USB interface.  The main reason why we included the HDMI connection was that the additional cost is very cheap and tidal may in the future allow us access to stream there music video's.

martydmnt

« Reply #94 on: 6 Mar 2016, 11:02 pm »
AKA "Gateway Drug"  :lol:

Could be, though I really haven't encountered a life altering experience listening via the two DACs I have. Could be equipment limitations, of course, but I'm hard pressed to tell the differences between the 16/44 (or cd) recordings vs the 24/96. I'm open to be proven wrong, though! My comparisons so far have been Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus (HD tracks vs cd), Patricia Barber's Verse (same), and a couple years' worth of Linn's free Christmas downloads (16/44 vs 24/96 or higher).

vonnie123

« Reply #95 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:19 pm »

The HDMI cable is just the method of connection for the I2S setup.  Super low/no jitter being the objective.

I believe it to be hi-res capable.  Both PS Audio and Wyred4Sound currently use it - I do not believe it's proprietary.

SoundGame

« Reply #96 on: 8 Mar 2016, 01:25 am »
Try Shelby Lynne Just a Little Lovin.  The differences are not huge they are in the subtleties.  The Hi Res sounds more relaxed, less aggressive in the treble.  Treble details are finer, dynamics sound less forced and there is more to hear in shadings and tonal colours.  That said with the track I find the cd 16/44.1 to portray a greater sense of excitement, given its harder sound but there is no denying that the Hi Res is more finessed.  The trouble getting true hires masters of the very same cd recording. 

Could be, though I really haven't encountered a life altering experience listening via the two DACs I have. Could be equipment limitations, of course, but I'm hard pressed to tell the differences between the 16/44 (or cd) recordings vs the 24/96. I'm open to be proven wrong, though! My comparisons so far have been Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus (HD tracks vs cd), Patricia Barber's Verse (same), and a couple years' worth of Linn's free Christmas downloads (16/44 vs 24/96 or higher).

martydmnt

« Reply #97 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:39 pm »
Try Shelby Lynne Just a Little Lovin.  The differences are not huge they are in the subtleties.  The Hi Res sounds more relaxed, less aggressive in the treble.  Treble details are finer, dynamics sound less forced and there is more to hear in shadings and tonal colours.  That said with the track I find the cd 16/44.1 to portray a greater sense of excitement, given its harder sound but there is no denying that the Hi Res is more finessed.  The trouble getting true hires masters of the very same cd recording.

Is your comparison between the ripped CD and the high resolution files playing through the BDP? Or CD player vs high resolution? I have that album on vinyl currently, and it's stellar.

SoundGame

« Reply #98 on: 8 Mar 2016, 11:09 pm »
My comparison is both versions in Flac on my Pc played through my Squeezebox Touch with the high resolution arch.  My Simaudio DAC confirms resolutions. 

Is your comparison between the ripped CD and the high resolution files playing through the BDP? Or CD player vs high resolution? I have that album on vinyl currently, and it's stellar.

Marius

« Reply #99 on: 11 Mar 2016, 05:57 pm »
Couldn't resist.
 Even Donald Duck (or Willy Wortel as he's called overhere) is awaiting your latest.

Cheers Marius