Any body selling Bryston 6B SST

kumarcis

Any body selling Bryston 6B SST
« on: 7 May 2014, 07:07 am »
Hi All,

Is there anybody want to sell Bryston 6B SST?

Please reply me soon.

Thanks
Kumar

mv038856

Re: Any body selling Bryston 6B SST
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2014, 04:16 pm »
Hi All,

Is there anybody want to sell Bryston 6B SST?

Please reply me soon.

Thanks
Kumar

Hi Kumar,

sorry, I am not selling... but the 6B (S)ST(²) still is IMHO the most beautifully engineered Bryston amp.

I am a fan of that particular model. I have three of them... ;)

If you take out one of the amplifier modules, you see that each has its own case. In that respect, it is even more elaborate than the 9B (S)ST(²).

There have been discussions in this forum why the additional charge for a 6B three channel amp, compared to a 4B, is more than 50% of a 4B's price, considering that a 6B is more or less 1.5 times a 4B, just in a common box. James' explanation was that a 6B three channel amp is more complex and more expensive to build. I have owned both models and the 6B three channel amp just feels more sturdy - it has a different haptic quality to it, it's a tank!

The problem is that Bryston appears to have sold way, way more 4Bs, as multichannel is a niche in itself and the power amp part can be covered with so many different configurations where the 6B (S)ST(²) is just one of the various options. Therefore not too many have been sold and in consequence, less are being offered used. Being located in Germany myself, I had to import two of my 6B SSTs from Indonesia and the third from the UK and it literally took years to find them! But now I am happy! :)

BTW, the 6B ST that has been offered on Audiogon these days seems horribly overpriced. Back then, when the 6B ST was sold, prices were way lower than today. The asking price on Audiogon was even above the original list price ten years ago, if I am not completely mistaken...

Good luck in finding a suitable amp!

Markus

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2014, 08:20 pm »
hi, Markus!

if you have three 6BSST2 amps...what is the rest of your system? what is your preamp and what speakers do you have?

tausend dank,

Alex.

mv038856

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2014, 12:01 am »
hi, Markus!

if you have three 6BSST2 amps...what is the rest of your system? what is your preamp and what speakers do you have?

tausend dank,

Alex.

Hi Alex,

the three 6B SSTs (without the 2) are driven by a Bryston SP-3. The amps are going to drive three Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 in the front and six Dynaudio Contour S R as surrounds. I am planning to split the side surround signal and delay the signal for two of them. The small Dynaudios will be supported by four Velodyne DD-12s. They will be arranged as a single bass array.

The future tense is used as I just moved and the dedicated home theater still has to be built. So the equipment is currently boxed.

The video part will be handled by two JVC DLA-RS 50 projectors in a Dolby 3D setup with two anamorphic lenses and two Lumagen video processors. I am planning to install a curved acoustically transparent Cinemascope screen.

Sources are an Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, a Dune media streamer and a legacy Denon DVD-3800BD blu-ray player.

Cheers

Markus