The Legendary Bryston 4B-SST2

larevoj

The Legendary Bryston 4B-SST2
« on: 13 Mar 2014, 04:48 am »
Hi Folks~!

It has been a long time since I posted here  ;D

My system has evolved a fair bit over last several years...from a full Bryston rig to now running on hybrid! LOL! Also I have finally got in the Torus/Bryston BIT and have been in the system for a while - one of the best upgrade in my system. I have introduced a tube linestage and source to compliment the Bryston 4B SST2 as well. I have considered upgrading my amplifier as well and over last several years I auditioned a number amplifiers and some cost 3-4 times more.

Here is what I will like to share...After numerous try out of different amplifiers of different brands and different price points I have yet to arrive one that suit my taste or a total knock out. Some very smooth and holographic, some have lots of muscles, and some are all rounder but doesn't quite compliment my system as a whole. Now this is very subjective as every system is a projection of its owner's preference and every small part of the system makes a different so really the ideal system is one only you can tell or decide. With that I have to say the Bryston 4B-SST2 stood the test of time as it has came face to face with giants many times its price tag, size, weight, and still it holds its ground steadfastly.

I am sure if I continue my search I may find one that will excel in all areas and further advance my system SQ in leaps and bounds - or perhaps never? Until then I am utterly impressed with what this little 4BSST2 managed to achieve and its no small feat.

Kudos to its designer!  :thumb:

Cheers~
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2014, 12:45 pm by larevoj »

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: The Legendary Bryston 4B-SST2
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2014, 06:07 am »
Yes well said. My 4b is still the "joice for the voice" in my system. :thumb:

larevoj

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2014, 03:53 pm »
IMHO Stuart Taylor tweaks on the SST2 is phenomenal. Especially on the 4B a fine line to dance around so many competitors out there and yet still came out strong. Its like David against some big Goliaths!!  :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2014, 04:36 pm »
Yup. Big THUMBS UP   :thumb: for the Bryston 4B-SST²

95Dyna

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2014, 09:18 pm »
Here are my three suggestions for upgrading your 4BSST2:  1.  14BSST2   2. 7BSST2's   3. 28BSST2's.  I have the 7's and the only amps I would consider to replace them are the 28's.

Samurai7595

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2014, 03:00 pm »
I had an all-Linn audio system with 2 power amps for what Linn calls a fully aktiv system (one amp per speaker).

The Linn system was great but I always found that it lacked "balls" when the music called for real power.  I auditioned various power amps and ended up with a Bryston 4B-SST2 power amp.  I've been soooooooooo impressed with this power amp that after a few months of owning it, I started slowly upgrading my Linn components and now have the Bryston BCD-1, BDA-2 and BDP-2 units (along with Bryston digital cables) in my upgraded system.  The only Linn gear left in my 2-channel audio system, is the Linn Uphorik phono pre-amp (very nice and extremely flexible phono stage).

The Bryston 4B-SST2 is truly one very impressive power amp!   :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2014, 04:24 pm »
  Very nice . What are your speakers?
 :thumb:

G E

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2014, 04:25 pm »
I also have 4bsst2 and it shines in my system. Nice match for my Bel Canto pre 6 and vmps speakers using morrow cables.

I would consider replacing the 4bsst2 though.................. with a pair of 28's!

Samurai7595

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2014, 05:57 pm »
  Very nice . What are your speakers?
 :thumb:

I'm using a pair of ProAc Response D30R floorstanding speakers (very nice deep/well-controlled bass).   :D

I have them in a bi-wire configuration using Kimber Kable 8TC bi-wire speaker cables with locking banana plugs (WBT-0644).

larevoj

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2014, 11:38 pm »
I'm using a pair of ProAc Response D30R floorstanding speakers (very nice deep/well-controlled bass).   :D

I have them in a bi-wire configuration using Kimber Kable 8TC bi-wire speaker cables with locking banana plugs (WBT-0644).

I biwired mine too though wasn't sure at first but the difference in SQ was well worth the effort. However, I had to use a combination of spades and banana connections to fit into one binding post at the amplifier. You have a picture in how you fit yours?? :D

Samurai7595

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2014, 02:50 pm »
I biwired mine too though wasn't sure at first but the difference in SQ was well worth the effort. However, I had to use a combination of spades and banana connections to fit into one binding post at the amplifier. You have a picture in how you fit yours?? :D

Here you are:

larevoj

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2014, 10:52 pm »
Here you are:

Thanks! Those are nice wbt connectors...but I was actually referring to the connections at the back of the amplifier  :D

Samurai7595

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:29 pm »
Thanks! Those are nice wbt connectors...but I was actually referring to the connections at the back of the amplifier  :D

I'm using what Kimber Kable calls "internal bi-wiring" cables where these speaker cables have two connectors on the amp side and four connectors on the speaker side, per speaker cable.

Same concept like the Bryston bi-wire speaker cables:
https://store.bryston.com/bi-wire-speaker-cable.html

sweetspot

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:37 pm »
I'm using what Kimber Kable calls "internal bi-wiring" cables where these speaker cables have two connectors on the amp side and four connectors on the speaker side, per speaker cable.

That is the same setup with my Kimber 8VS. works great!

larevoj

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:40 pm »

Thanks...this is real convenient versus what I am doing currently!  :thumb:

larevoj

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2014, 03:03 pm »
This pic here is for all proud 4BSST-2 owners and it came with a nice review from Soundstage back in 2009.

http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/bryston_4b_sst2.htm  :thumb:

Xinon

« Reply #16 on: 21 Mar 2014, 08:40 pm »
4B-SST2 and ProAc D30R is a very good team  :thumb:

ZoOm

« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2014, 04:06 am »

Jumping in to endorse the Legendary amp! Started with one Amp and ending with this.... :icon_lol:

Samurai7595

« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2014, 12:23 pm »

+1  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

larevoj

« Reply #19 on: 22 Mar 2014, 12:33 pm »
Wow...I agree!!!  :thumb:   8)