Record clamp

marchunter

Record clamp
« on: 8 Mar 2021, 03:36 pm »
Hi folks
I’m assuming there is no answer to this but thought I’d throw it out there since you all are in the know.
Are there any sources for a proper record clamp for my Classic?
I have one that works fine but is not WT. I have thought about a SOTA but of course would love WT.
Of course I’m patrolling all the proper used sales sites.
Thanks

rikhav

bacobits1

Re: Record clamp
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2021, 09:35 pm »
Remember, when using a clamp and the peripheral ring you must stop the table to change records and or sides.
I use a light weight like 6oz just enough to couple the record to the platter. Not for warps and even then nothing will work as well as the heavy ring.
I do not use a WT table. But my choice is because I have a magnetic bearing.

EkW

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2021, 02:29 am »
I wouldn't mind having the bigger WT clamp or any that is larger diameter than the stock clamp.  The ring clamp that was linked to probably isn't needed on an old Classic because the platter is dished and effectively lifts the outer edge of the record.

marchunter

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2021, 12:37 pm »
I stop for every side turn anyway. My cat like reflexes are long gone so I opt for vinyl safety.
I help the motor by hand on every start.
The ring clamps are interesting but as stated above I’m not quite sure about this application.
My Classic did not come with its clamp. So I’m trying to find one that looks like it belongs.

Creed

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2021, 11:09 pm »
The Mitchell record clamp, it is as big as the label and very light and screws down. I have one but table is in the closet.

jschwenker

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2021, 06:03 pm »
Not very knowledgeable about the WT world, but there's food for thought -- how I adapted a non-compatible platter for use of a VPI outer ring clamp.

Cheers, John

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124081.msg1307306#msg1307306