Platter Modifications for Outer Ring Clamps

jschwenker

Platter Modifications for Outer Ring Clamps
« on: 26 Feb 2014, 03:15 pm »
Hi Folks,

Here I describe how I adapted an old platter to work with the VPI periphery ring clamp.  Working together with a center clamp, an outer ring really helps stabilize and flatten your LPs - I highly recommend one if you can make it work.  These concepts might be applicable to other turntables and/or ring clamps.  (The VPI does add about 5 lb - so be sure you think your turntable's bearings could be up to it)

Fig. 1  Cross-section view.  This drawing is not to scale but shows how the ring clamp functions.  Platters specifically made to work with the clamp have an outer diameter that the felt pads on the ID of the clamp slide onto nicely - making that diameter do the centering of the clamp, not the LP edge.  The platter also has a bit of a 45 degree guide slope or chamfer.  My mod was to add 4 blocks to my undersize platter to make it function like more current platters. 

Fig. 2  Close up of mod block and ring.  The clamp ring is shown upside down to reveal its details.  On my turntable I did have to pay careful attention to where the drive belt rides in height and I ended up having to lower the height of the lid covering the motor pulley to be clear of the clamp ring when in use.  Block mount holes were drilled and tapped with platter removed and soft-block clamped to a work table.  Mod blocks might also work okay if fixed in place with good double stick tape - not forgetting, of course, to account for tape thickness.  In fact this brings up a good point:  I made sure to make the blocks a very slight bit thinner than the numbers indicated, and used one layer of double stick tape to make a shim to customize the fit and feel of the ring/platter.  There are two locations where one can shim for fit - behind the blocks or behind the felt strips. 

A very minor annoyance of this design is that you need to align felt pads to blocks each time the ring is lowered into place - of course.

For block fab I used 1/4 inch solid ABS sheet stock, cut strips that were significantly longer than needed, coarse and fine sanded them to thickness.  Then I shaved off the upper corner a bit to shape that ring guiding chamfer.  Then I deformed them to approx the right radius curve by overbending them around a somewhat smaller dia cylindrical object.  (large dia pieces of stiff pipe of some kind work okay)  Last steps were to cut the lengths I wanted out of the curved center zones and drill the holes.

If one goes to build such mods, you'll want to make more careful measurements once you have the ring.  But for purposes of considering whether it might work or not for a given turntable, APPROX principal numbers for the VPI ring are:  Dia across mod blocks  = 11.98";  Ring outer dia = 13.6";  Ring thickness = 0.58";

Cheers,  John

orthobiz

Re: Platter Modifications for Outer Ring Clamps
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2014, 11:26 am »
I think it's sheer workshop genius. Nicely implemented. Although knowing the inner audiophile skeptical spirit, there will be naysayers. Like questions about how perfectly evenly spaced your additions are, how much each one weighs and how it will affect the rotational inertia etc etc and so on...

I like my VPI Super Platter with the periphery clamp on my modified HW-19. Helps flatten garage sale records tremendously.

I say, Play On!

Paul

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm »
Do you think the edge of your record will eventually crack and break off due to the unsupported weight of the ring?

jschwenker

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2014, 03:30 am »
Thanks Paul - I had some fun doing it...

Hi Ericus Rex,  Added up all the way around there is quite a bit of vinyl cross-section supporting the ring, so the material stresses would not be very large.  If one left an LP on for a very long time loaded up that way MAYBE there could be a detectable deformation of the LP lip in the downward direction.  It's a good idea, I think, to not leave LPs on the platter for a variety of reasons - not the least of which is the ever present need to play the next one!!

Yers,  John

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2014, 03:49 am »
very cool!

I am glad you came up with this alternative.  How does it sound? :thumb:

I went the way of upgrading to the HRX super platter.

And well, I don't use the ring clamp every time, only on records that are warped and it does a nice job of flattening the records but it's not perfectly flat.

jschwenker

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2014, 04:09 pm »
Thanks Sonny.  As you may be well aware, it seems to me getting the LP as solidly attached to the platter as reasonably possible makes for pretty significant sonic gains - especially in the lowest frequencies where our cartridges are looking to decode physically smaller and smaller amplitude waveforms vs the sound energy they represent.  I credit my use of center and ring clamps with being able to push tonearm/cart vertical and horizontal natural frequencies as low as I can.  (see my variety of wind-bag postings on the topic up and down the thread linked below)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122657.60

Only approach that could be better might be a vacuum platter. 
I'm loving the results!
Cheers,  John